D2-D3, NAIA, CC discussion

I didn't want to hijack the D1 thread so I thought I would start a thread for the other college soccer players. I know people can be intimidated by all the D1 post, but lets face it, there are plenty of posters who have kids playing at a non D1 school.

Thanks for starting this! I hope some of the D2 parents post...one of my players is looking at a couple of D2 schools and I would love to hear any chatter out there!

Having played D1 sports and then coaching for years, I will say these are the levels we favor for our kids (if we get that far). D1 is a grind and the transfer/retention rates alone should clue us all in to the harsh reality of D1 soccer.
Some awesome programs/coaches and SCHOOLS out there. Kids can have an excellent experience with soccer in it's rightful place.
(I am not a D1 hater but just know the real side of it. I love that these levels exist for kids and there are lots of places to find a great fit)

Well said.
My DD went with a DII school in Colorado. She was allowed to snowboard from Dec - Feb since DII has that break. ( just DO NOT get hurt)
She loved her DII experience. Many of her club teammates who played DI
transfered to D II or quit soccer completely.

There are some D1 schools that allow u to have a life. A few in the WCC. And also at other less demanding D1 programs.

PAC-12 NO way.

There are some D1 schools that allow u to have a life. A few in the WCC. And also at other less demanding D1 programs.

PAC-12 NO way.

I disagree. I know several players at Pac 12 schools that have lives, are STEM majors, get to still be kids/young adults and play at the highest levels of college and international soccer. It can happen it just takes a motivated kid with a plan and a good support group. It really isn't that rare or big of a deal.

That is a pretty outstanding result. Is this team all 2018 grads? When did this game happen?
All 2018 grads since our 2017 grads are in college. One of our 2017 grads scored a winning goal for LMU yesterday. Congrats KH!

Game was last night at UCSD. The field was very nice and there was good ref crew. UCSD played some good soccer and created some very dangerous chances. Our girls are coming back from a 2 month break and are working out some cobwebs and integrating some new players. They looked a bit rusty at times but played through it.

I think one of the big differences for NAIA is in recruiting. A player can go to a NAIA school and practice with the team in season or even play in a scrimmage. NCAA schools do not permit that.

I'm sure there are more but thought that was worth mentioning.

I think one of the big differences for NAIA is in recruiting. A player can go to a NAIA school and practice with the team in season or even play in a scrimmage. NCAA schools do not permit that.

I'm sure there are more but thought that was worth mentioning.

That is a significant difference. D1's can get around it by inviting a player to a positional camp that their current players are participating in. I know that my player was partnered up with a now former player at her current school who played her position and it gave the coaching staff a good chance to do a side by side comparison. D2, NAIA schools and community colleges are a great option for many kids. D1 soccer takes a lot of commitment (so does all college soccer FYI) but the most important thing should always be the fit for the player. Some players can juggle chainsaws crossing a tightrope on a unicycle through a flaming hoop over a bunch of crocodiles. Some just want to play and go to school. Both are great for the right players.

All 2018 grads since our 2017 grads are in college. One of our 2017 grads scored a winning goal for LMU yesterday. Congrats KH!

Game was last night at UCSD. The field was very nice and there was good ref crew. UCSD played some good soccer and created some very dangerous chances. Our girls are coming back from a 2 month break and are working out some cobwebs and integrating some new players. They looked a bit rusty at times but played through it.

I thought that you might have brought up some 2019's to replace the grads.

The regional NCAA rankings for D2 were posted at end of last year...UCSD leads the way for Socal...I did not realize Azusa Pacific was so competitive in SoCal...

Western Region
1 Western Wash. 17-0-1 /16-0-1

2 UC San Diego 16-2-0 /16-2-0

3 Sonoma St. 12-2-2 /12-2-2

4 Central Wash. 12-4-1 /12-4-1

5 Seattle Pacific 10-3-4/ 10-3-4

6 Cal St. San B'dino 8-6-2/ 8-5-2

7 Cal Poly Pomona 7-6-3/ 7-6-2

8 Azusa Pacific 11-3-3/ 11-3-3

2016 NAIA Women’s Soccer Coaches’ Top 25 Poll - No. 7 (Nov. 1)

RANK LAST ^ SCHOOL (1st PLACE VOTES) 2016 RECORD FINAL POINTS
1 1 Spring Arbor (Mich.) (19) 16-0-1 529
2 3 Martin Methodist (Tenn.) 12-1-3 509
3 2 Keiser (Fla.) 15-1-0 487
4 4 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 12-3-0 483
5 7 Mobile (Ala.) 13-2-2 463
6 8 Northwestern Ohio 15-2-1 437
7 9 Vanguard (Calif.) 14-3-0 435
8 5 Biola (Calif.) 14-0-2 410
9 6 William Carey (Miss.) 12-4-0 392
10 10 Hastings (Neb.) 16-1-1 374
11 11 Westmont (Calif.) 14-2-2 358
12 12 Benedictine (Kan.) 15-3-0 347
13 12 Baker (Kan.) 13-3-2 326
14 15 Columbia (Mo.) 15-1-2 304
15 19 Reinhardt (Ga.) 15-2-0 284
16 18 John Brown (Ark.) 15-1-1 280
17 20 Kansas Wesleyan 14-1-2 246
18 16 Cumberland (Tenn.) 10-3-2 230
19 23 Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 11-2-2 192
20 14 Davenport (Mich.) 16-1-1 187
21 17 Taylor (Ind.) 14-121 186
22 24 Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) 13-2-2 158
22 25 Southeastern (Fla.) 14-1-0 158
24 NR Georgetown (Ky.) 11-3-2 143
25 21 Cardinal Stritch (Wis.) 13-3-0 135

Three So Cal Schools in the top 11. We visited Westmont and it's a beautiful campus.

NAIA schools can be fantastic places to go. Tuition and fees completely paid with parents only responsible for room & meal plan.

FarPost, many D3 colleges have scrimmages this weekend and I think the season starts for many D3's around 9/1. Many of these colleges allow you to stream the games for free off of their websites. You can see their style that way with your own eyes. Some schools also have archived games posted on youtube if you want to see games from previous seasons.

Don't count out the JC's. I have seen some very good JC teams over the years. I recently saw a JC team dominate a good women's D2 team.

I have also seen NAIA teams beat D1 and D2 teams.

If a player has decent skills, there is a college soccer program out there that can fit their desire to play soccer and academic needs. They just have to be open with their options.

Don't count out the JC's. I have seen some very good JC teams over the years. I recently saw a JC team dominate a good women's D2 team.

I have also seen NAIA teams beat D1 and D2 teams.

If a player has decent skills, there is a college soccer program out there that can fit their desire to play soccer and academic needs. They just have to be open with their options.

Which JC was that?

Back