CRL 97/98 - Who's In?

mirage

GOLD
Since Calsouth decided not to have the Play-In qualifier for this age group, and instead accepted teams based on their past merits, which teams are in?

Btw, this is the very 1st post in the Boys forum since Dom reconstructed the site....

Did CRL accept teams based on merit or were there only a handful of teams that applied? This is the age when many teams fold and many kids quit.

I gotta imagine there were more than 10 teams applied, since most are all 98 teams that played U17 just past season.

Most kids that are playing still at this age group are not going to quit in their last year. Those that have quit, have done so already by U15 or so. The calendar year change probably did nothing to these age groups so I expect most to stay intact.

Just take a look at the number of teams in 97/98 CSL Premier/Gold and SCDSL Flight 1. There must be 60~70 teams in this age group between the two. Lot more if you include lower tier.

Did CRL accept teams based on merit or were there only a handful of teams that applied? This is the age when many teams fold and many kids quit.
My understanding is there were not any judgements made on merit or past results. Simply, if you paid before the deadline then you were in the Premier League.

I must admit, I am not the aficionado of boys soccer due to the fact that my daughter plays on the girls side. I will take your word that these teams are good, but the fact that some age groups didn't have a play-in suggests that there weren't a large number of teams that applied. Take a look at the 98 girls participants, and you will see that some teams aren't as seasoned as others and some that one might think are good but they had to borrow and steal players just to field a team due to attrition.

They are all good teams, but I think the list supports my statement. My guess would be 4-5 of those teams would not make the list if there was a proper play-in for spots.

They are all good teams, but I think the list supports my statement. My guess would be 4-5 of those teams would not make the list if there was a proper play-in for spots.
especially at the older ages when some teams lose half their team to graduation or some other reason yet they are basically grandfathered in. A round robin for at least those that didn't finish 1-4. Would it really be that difficult?

Maybe... Though half of the group being not there is, my sense, too great to say. Besides, who would be there instead?

The way CalSouth typically seed brackets in pool play is they seed the teams within each pool, and typically the top 2 moves on from each pool (using other ages format this year due to calendar year change). So maybe two~three teams may change but the majority probably would be the same.

Not sure what difference it makes though. Its a good mix of strong teams in SoCal.

Last edited:
especially at the older ages when some teams lose half their team to graduation or some other reason yet they are basically grandfathered in. A round robin for at least those that didn't finish 1-4. Would it really be that difficult?

The 98s are all in school still and most of these teams, based on their team description in the name are 98/99s so its essentially the last season's U17s.

Since you'd noted that your more familiar w/girls side, its worth noting that the boys are committed much later than girls for college. This results in vast majority of HS seniors not committed as they enter the last year. I believe there is more interest in CRL, NPL and other higher profile gaming circuits in boys side than girls as the result of college recruiting situation. I've had many, many D1/D2 college coaches say that they are reluctant to commit to boys early because their maturity level and physical development typically are not there at 10th~11th grade. Its not to say it doesn't happen early, but the percentage is much lower compared to girls at the same grade. It catches up, obviously, during the senior year...

Back