Criteria to switch Clubs

I am a new parent to club soccer. My son is a 09 player for a smaller club.....

I dont want to screw up a good thing. just looking for opinions of more seasoned parents.

My older son started club at U10 (was playing Signature at U9 - semi competitive rec league). It was our first experience at club soccer then. Now that kid is playing in college but our younger is still playing U16 so its good.

Back then, I had a coach and a parent both tell me, at the different times, that essentially said "there's no loyalty in club soccer". At the time, I had no idea how right they were. For me, it just sounded bit cold and harsh but kept an open eyes and mind as the years passed by.

The single most important thing in club soccer is that you need to accept and deal with the fact that club soccer is a business first. No club or coach (although I've met few near exceptions) that takes real interest in your kid the way you do, soccer wise. You'll need to manage his progression and where he needs to be at when. The list below is what I've done over the years and have shared these points herein time to time but again:

1) Make sure your kid is playing at the level of competition just lightly higher than his ability when younger

2) Make sure your kid is in the top half of the team's players pecking order to ensure playing time, not the bottom half of higher competitive team

3) Don't stay on the team just because there are friends, if the level is not appropriate

4) Your job is to make bridges and open doors for the kid - the kid has to walk a cross and through the door (in other words, he's got to want to do it and improve)

5) And don't be that parent that embarrasses his kid on the sideline and stay out of club/team politics

6) Keep reminding yourself that its a youth sports business.

At the end of the day, you only guide him and the rest is up to him. Don't get caught up on its only Tier 3 or he's on top tier stuff - See number 1 and 2.

Our older kid started in Bronze, then Silver. then Gold/Flight 1, then DA, back to Flight 1 (wanted to play HS), to Primer back to DA to college. Our younger kid, who still is playing is now on Flight 1 team at U16. He started Bronze, Flight 3, Flight 2 and Flight 1. Never cared what level he was playing league wise. Just wanted him to play and not sit on the bench. I'm certain if I'd put him onto Flight 1 team early on, he would have just sat most of the games and would not be playing today.

So the moral of the story is that, its a business and no one is going guild your kid, except you but keep it real and fun for the kid. Its up to him more than you.

My older son started club at U10 (was playing Signature at U9 - semi competitive rec league). It was our first experience at club soccer then. Now that kid is playing in college but our younger is still playing U16 so its good.

Back then, I had a coach and a parent both tell me, at the different times, that essentially said "there's no loyalty in club soccer". At the time, I had no idea how right they were. For me, it just sounded bit cold and harsh but kept an open eyes and mind as the years passed by.

The single most important thing in club soccer is that you need to accept and deal with the fact that club soccer is a business first. No club or coach (although I've met few near exceptions) that takes real interest in your kid the way you do, soccer wise. You'll need to manage his progression and where he needs to be at when. The list below is what I've done over the years and have shared these points herein time to time but again:

1) Make sure your kid is playing at the level of competition just lightly higher than his ability when younger

2) Make sure your kid is in the top half of the team's players pecking order to ensure playing time, not the bottom half of higher competitive team

3) Don't stay on the team just because there are friends, if the level is not appropriate

4) Your job is to make bridges and open doors for the kid - the kid has to walk a cross and through the door (in other words, he's got to want to do it and improve)

5) And don't be that parent that embarrasses his kid on the sideline and stay out of club/team politics

6) Keep reminding yourself that its a youth sports business.

At the end of the day, you only guide him and the rest is up to him. Don't get caught up on its only Tier 3 or he's on top tier stuff - See number 1 and 2.

Our older kid started in Bronze, then Silver. then Gold/Flight 1, then DA, back to Flight 1 (wanted to play HS), to Primer back to DA to college. Our younger kid, who still is playing is now on Flight 1 team at U16. He started Bronze, Flight 3, Flight 2 and Flight 1. Never cared what level he was playing league wise. Just wanted him to play and not sit on the bench. I'm certain if I'd put him onto Flight 1 team early on, he would have just sat most of the games and would not be playing today.

So the moral of the story is that, its a business and no one is going guild your kid, except you but keep it real and fun for the kid. Its up to him more than you.
well written and very good points....

I think this is an excellent post, but will disagree with this one sentiment

My 2007 daughter switched clubs last year after being at her first smaller club at age 7 & 8. She tried out for and made the top team at the top club in our area. We live in New England and her team is one of the top five teams in Region one. When she got her spot last year she was 11th or 12th on a 13 player roster and did not play a ton. She worked her tail off and 18 months after joining the team she is getting 40 minutes a game. I am honestly shocked at how much better she has gotten in such a short window of time. Coaching and her work ethic are the primary reasons, but playing with kids who were more advanced than her is also a big part of it. I doubt she would have improved as much as she has playing on a roster where she was better than half the kids.

I think this is an excellent post, but will disagree with this one sentiment.....

My 2007 daughter switched clubs last year after being at her first smaller club at age 7 & 8. She tried out for and made the top team at the top club in our area. We live in New England and her team is one of the top five teams in Region one................. doubt she would have improved as much as she has playing on a roster where she was better than half the kids.

With all due respect, the player pool size and number of teams in NE is significantly smaller than in SoCal and how often they play. Having spent fair amount of time in Cambridge/Boston, and NY, I have a pretty good sense of lifestyle in NE.

When kids (boys and girls) are U-Little, like 2007 9~10yrs old, physical and mental development of a year is a significant percent of their entire life, so things are difficult to generalize - both your statement and mine. The point of my statement (2) is that you have to balance competitive pressure and young player psychology and it differs from a player to player.

Sounds like you did the right thing for YOU, by moving her into a more competitive team. The difference in SoCal is that there are layers of various levels of difference and number of teams available as well as number of players between your two choices. So one has to make appropriate audible or an adjustments.

Having said that, see where things are when the kid is at U12~13+ and how you'd feel then....

In my experience with my DD, she started Flight 3 at U11 and worked up to now playing Flight 1 at U17. She went through all the trials of soccer of being a starter in the lower Flights and then getting her ass handed to her in her first year in Flight 1. She worked hard after that and now is a starter/captain for her current team.

Bottom line is find the right fit for your player and playing time is key because sitting on the bench doesn't develop your player. Also be honest as a parent to really know what level your player should play. Don't get caught up with the Flights but be more concern with play time. Also find a coach your player will respond to because there are coaches out there that use/abuse players. So make sure your player has a good relationship with his coach. In my DD's experience, she gave it her all when she liked the coach and who gave positive reinforcement oppose to the coach who was always negative and berated her.

Find a good fit for your player, just don't follow the club/team because it is the top one in the area.

In my experience with my DD, she started Flight 3 at U11 and worked up to now playing Flight 1 at U17. She went through all the trials of soccer of being a starter in the lower Flights and then getting her ass handed to her in her first year in Flight 1. She worked hard after that and now is a starter/captain for her current team.

Bottom line is find the right fit for your player and playing time is key because sitting on the bench doesn't develop your player. Also be honest as a parent to really know what level your player should play. Don't get caught up with the Flights but be more concern with play time. Also find a coach your player will respond to because there are coaches out there that use/abuse players. So make sure your player has a good relationship with his coach. In my DD's experience, she gave it her all when she liked the coach and who gave positive reinforcement oppose to the coach who was always negative and berated her.

Find a good fit for your player, just don't follow the club/team because it is the top one in the area.

What a great accomplishment for her. I like this story.

Back