Contrasting Socks from Other Team?

Discussion in 'C'mon Ref!' started by lastkid, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Just a Parent

Just a Parent Bronze

Ratings:
    +99 / 5
    CalSouth rules do say games will be officiated in accordance with IFAB LOTG. The laws of the game say the two teams must wear colors that distinguish them from each other. "Colors" are more than jerseys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. espola

espola Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +4,830 / 215
    "It says uniform."

What is "it"?

3. lastkid

lastkid Bronze

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I think it is pretty lame to insist that a U13 team switch socks based upon a very obscure law that is subject to interpretation. We were very lucky that all of our boys happened to have the other color of sock in their luggage from the trip. Cal South is very specific in their rule for switching jerseys. They should get specific if they want to drop this sock requirement on teams. When my son was grabbing his extra jersey for a scrimmage this weekend he asked me if he should grab some extra socks... silly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Just a Parent

Just a Parent Bronze

Ratings:
    +99 / 5
    I agree with you, but the rule is neither obscure nor subject to interpretation.

5. Surfref

Surfref Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +2,165 / 27
    This came up years ago at a referee meeting and the great referee, assessor and instructor old Mr L.P. said to refer to the gaming authority rules to determine what uniform items should be changed to achieve the contrasting uniforms.

6. espola

espola Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +4,830 / 215
    Personally, I am opposed to any rules that raise the cost of participation, even for something as cheap as an extra pair of socks. I am also opposed to officials (local, state, or international) who come up with restrictions and/or inflexible positions of interpretation about who and when kids can play a game, just because they are not adhering to rules drawn up for adult professional players. Those people should be ashamed of themselves. I thought I saw a glimmer of hope a few years back when sleeveless jerseys were banned but the only punishment was to note the transgression on the game report. Those moments are too rare.

You triggered a fond memory -- Back in the 70's when I first took up coaching, Mr. LP ran a rules and skills clinic for us new coaches. By the end of the day I was so exhausted that I was puking in the grass.

7. watfly

watfly Silver

Ratings:
    +508 / 8
    IMO the issue that the OP raises has nothing to do with "colours" but everything to do with grossly misplaced priorities and lack of common sense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Soccer Dad & Ref

Soccer Dad & Ref Bronze

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    Our 2006 team does not have a second color of socks, and I agree with espola that I oppose any rule that raises the costs to participate (yeah, I've spent a lot already, but there are scholarship families that don't need one more headache). For the most part, the refereeing I saw in Lancaster three weeks in a row in February was below par. There were some good ones for sure, but most needed retraining

• Agree Agree x 1