concussion bands?

bruinblue14

SILVER
Thoughts? Research is limited--some research says it helps, but obviously doesn't eliminate, some says it makes the risk higher because it results in kids playing even more aggressively.

DD got her first concussion this past weekend. Mild, but still scary.

Since concussions usually come from the jarring of the brain against the inside of the skull due to a rapid change of direction like whiplash, the head gear is probably not going to do much to prevent a concussion in a big collision. That being said, I made my kid wear it for a couple years and still encourage her to do it (although she tends to "forget" to put it on). My mentality was that whatever cushioning it provided would be better than nothing, and it would certainly reduce cuts, abrasions, and contusions from head to head or elbow to head knocks. Even if it cut the force of the collision by 1%, I figured that's worth something.

No research on this point, but I also notice that field players who wear the bands tend to try to head the ball more with their forehead, where the band is, rather than the top of the head. In that way, it actually promotes better heading form and better control of the ball off the head. An unintended advantage, I think.

All anecdotal and unscientific, but I think most people who use them or bought them for their kids do recommend them.

Forgot to ask, how did it happen?

Body to body collision with another player which resulted in DD falling and then either getting kicked in forehead on the way down and/or hitting her forehead on ground. Says all she remembers is a foot coming toward her face and then ending up of the ground facedown.

I feel like if she had been wearing a band in this specific case it might have helped dissipate the impact, especially since the impact occurred right smack in the middle of her forehead.

We had a girl get a concussion a few weeks ago from a ball striking her in the face at very close range. I don't think a band would have done much to help. She got rocked pretty hard.

Thoughts? Research is limited--some research says it helps, but obviously doesn't eliminate, some says it makes the risk higher because it results in kids playing even more aggressively.

DD got her first concussion this past weekend. Mild, but still scary.

Football players wear high tech helmets and still get concussions. A padded head band is not going to prevent a concussion. As a referee, the majority of possible concussions I have seen have been when players heads hit the ground or a players head hits another players body (head, shoulder, elbow, etc).

Back