College Recruiting (Women): Any Difference Among DA Clubs

This is a great article. However I disagree that establishing A,B,C teams is a bad thing. Even without coaches differentiating, players of any age are pretty aware of where they stand. I like the idea of A/B/C teams being fluid throughout the season as incentive to do better and because players get different things out of playing in like skill and mixed skill environments. We do differentiate in schools too and students are also aware of that. As a player in my day, sitting the bench did not result in changing teams, quitting mid-season or even a parent complaining to the coach. The culture was simply to take feedback and use it, work harder and earn your spot. I find that mindset very rare now in competitive youth sports. As parents we need to take ownership of what we demand from coaches in terms of winning, playing time, etc. Are we allowing coaches the opportunity to develop our players as their first priority? We shape the landscape as much as anyone else.

This is a great article. However I disagree that establishing A,B,C teams is a bad thing. Even without coaches differentiating, players of any age are pretty aware of where they stand. I like the idea of A/B/C teams being fluid throughout the season as incentive to do better and because players get different things out of playing in like skill and mixed skill environments. We do differentiate in schools too and students are also aware of that. As a player in my day, sitting the bench did not result in changing teams, quitting mid-season or even a parent complaining to the coach. The culture was simply to take feedback and use it, work harder and earn your spot. I find that mindset very rare now in competitive youth sports. As parents we need to take ownership of what we demand from coaches in terms of winning, playing time, etc. Are we allowing coaches the opportunity to develop our players as their first priority? We shape the landscape as much as anyone else.
PS comments about players on 2nd and 3rd teams could be seen as a generalized statement. Though I think that remark was made in how he understands the American approach which is in contrast to how he now sees the European mindset on 2nd and 3rd teams. But I agree their are clubs where the lower teams are fluid with the top flight, especially at the younger ages. My oldest daughter is an example of that, she played on the second squad for many years and has played on the top team and now the DA.

That's good to know. I keep hearing great things about him, but have never been able to see one of his teams play.

We would have never left but he was facing some serious health challenges that limited his schedule for a while. My daughter adores him. He really helped give my kid a solid technical foundation to build upon.

Think so. Our girls have not played them yet.

He used to coach the “C” team at West Coast FC for a couple age groups plus he coached a semi-pro team years ago when my daughter played for WCFC. He was by far the best coach there but they always gave Doug and Gus the A teams.

Agree. This is a great article. Points out many things wrong with the system and the general subjectivity of players.

The subjectivity involved in ID-ing talent always makes me think about Gareth Bale's story:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ered-gareth-bale-champions-league-real-madrid

At 15 he was almost cut from the Southhampton Academy except for the intervention of 1 coach who believed in him.

From the article:

"It has been quite a story, although the journey from six-a-side tournament in Newport to European Cup final against Atlético Madrid in Lisbon has not been as straightforward as it sounds. Bale could easily have been cut loose by Southampton at the age of 15, when it was touch and go whether he would be offered a scholarship. Ruddick is a mild man but he knew that he had to dig his heels in to convince others. "I had to be strong. And to be fair to Rupert Lowe [then the Southampton chairman], he later said to me: 'I'm glad you pushed it.'" Bale has never forgotten Ruddick's contribution to his career. In the first interview Bale gave after signing for Real Madrid, he was asked about Southampton nearly releasing him. Bale talked about the "debate" that was going on inside the club at the time and singled out the influence of one person. "Rod Ruddick, the Southampton scout who spotted me at the age of nine, believed I would make it," he said. In Ruddick's eyes, the reason that Bale's development stagnated a little in his mid-teens, when some questioned the merits of keeping him, was purely down to a growth spurt.

Great comments from the coach. I’ve heard great things about him.
But I don’t think his current club is currently on board with that overall philosophy. Maybe they’ll change in the near future.
That's interesting, but sometimes change is hard, and it takes one to voice that a change is needed despite the grumblings.

I have yet to see a good player not have an opportunity to play at the next level (if they wanted it) let alone a great player. It’s not as hard as it might seem but no amount of parental preparation can make a player good or great it’s up to them.

Good luck to you and your player.
I agree - there is a spot in college soccer for any player that puts in the work and really wants it. I was talking more about elite players looking for their top choices and scholarships. Sometimes it is not always so straight a pathway to get the best fit. Good luck to your daughter in the tourney.

Great comments from the coach. I’ve heard great things about him.00/01But I don’t think his current club is currently on board with that overall philosophy. Maybe they’ll change in the near future.[/QU
Great comments from the coach. I’ve heard great things about him.
But I don’t think his current club is currently on board with that verall philosophy. Maybe they’ll change in the near future.
/
He is OC Surf director of the girls DA program and coaches 04DA and 001/01DA.

Are DA players the only ones invited to Youth training centers? I remember a couple of years ago when multiple girls from my DD’s team (non DA & ECNL team) used to go every few months to US training centers.

Back