Coaching Ethics (read attached)

Cory R

BRONZE
Played in Culver City today at 9:40 a.m. Gold Division Boy’s 02

Teams lined up to shake each other’s hands, and the Coach / Club President from the opposing team POACHES one of our team players in the handshake line, and said very direct to the player YOU SHOULD PLAY ON MY TEAM CALL ME.

THE QUESTION IS:

1. Is it ethical for a coach to poach a player during division play especially with only 4 games into the season?
2. Have coaches lowered their standards, and are they that desperate for players?
3. Is it ok for coaches to approach player’s at every game?
4. At what point into the season is it acceptable to recruit players?

First of all I’m not the Coach or Manager of this club team, and I don’t speak for any of them but I’ve been around club soccer a longtime. In my opinion this coach is low-class. To think it’s ok to POACH players especially in the handshake line or anywhere on the field isn't right. We all know what it takes to keep a team running from, cost, dedication, training, parents, club, and coaches. If this is the direction coaches are going in then let’s all make it a free for all after every game, and recruit. I believe there is a right time to approach players
WHEN DIVISION LEAGUE IS OVER not any sooner.

Your thoughts please!!!!!

Last edited:
An update from my last post:

For those who read the post without leaving any comments I completely understand... but not really.
On the other hand for a Club owner, Coach, Manager or even a parent to have a President/Coach of the opposing club
recruiting your best player or any players after a division game on the field in my opinion is unethical.
The coach at Culver City Soccer is doing this not just to one team but all the local teams in the division.
It’s not about the player actually leaving it’s about the no respect rule or the high standards coming from a Club President/Coach, and in this case none.
Has this practice of recruiting changed?
Is it open season to poach players right after a division game?
REALLY!!!!!
Maybe this will happen to your team on your next game.

For those who read the post without leaving any comments I completely understand... but not really.
On the other hand for a Club owner, Coach, Manager or even a parent to have a President/Coach of the opposing club
recruiting your best player or any players after a division game on the field in my opinion is unethical.
The coach at Culver City Soccer is doing this not just to one team but all the local teams in the division.
It’s not about the player actually leaving it’s about the no respect rule or the high standards coming from a Club President/Coach, and in this case none.
REALLY!!!!!
I assume that you're a parent. If that's true, I don't see why you get so worked up about it. I can totally see why a club owner wouldn't like it, as it's against his self interest but he has remedy with the league and CalSouth. For parents, recruiting at anytime gives kids more options. After all, you don't have to leave but have another club as an additional option. If anything, parents should dislike the no-midseason-transfer rule. A youth soccer player's career lasts only 6 or 7 years. The no-midseason-transfer rule limits his or her options and hinders development IMO.

I assume that you're a parent. If that's true, I don't see why you get so worked up about it. I can totally see why a club owner wouldn't like it, as it's against his self interest but he has remedy with the league and CalSouth. For parents, recruiting at anytime gives kids more options. After all, you don't have to leave but have another club as an additional option. If anything, parents should dislike the no-midseason-transfer rule. A youth soccer player's career lasts only 6 or 7 years. The no-midseason-transfer rule limits his or her options and hinders development IMO.
I completely understand the no-mid-season transfer rule, and we all get it. So are you saying it's ok to recruit right after a game at anytime? I believe there is a time and place for recruitment. What I'm saying is I find it totally unethical to poach especially after a game in the handshake line when players are congratulating each other in which this coach is doing. Options for players 100% for it.... but most players already know what club's in there surrounding area.

.....For those who read the post without leaving any comments I completely understand... but not really

...............Maybe this will happen to your team on your next game.

Actually, I get that you're surprised and upset but its club soccer and there is no loyalty between the club and players, parents in both direction. It is simply an annual contract to play for payment/scholarship. Since most of us been around and have seen it, we just don't react to it the way you have. Its not new to many of us.

It happens more often than one might realize. Good players are constantly recruited year around by other coaches. Vast majority are not as blatant as your example and much more subtle but it still happens.

My recommendation is to simply let it go and since it didn't sit well with you, avoid the coach if and when you look for a new team. Remember it takes two to engage into an action. Otherwise, its just table take, so to speak....

I completely understand the no-mid-season transfer rule, and we all get it. So are you saying it's ok to recruit right after a game at anytime? I believe there is a time and place for recruitment. What I'm saying is I find it totally unethical to poach especially after a game in the handshake line when players are congratulating each other in which this coach is doing. Options for players 100% for it.... but most players already know what club's in there surrounding area.
Let me guess that's the team stud. The question you should ask yourself. Can your team live without the kid. How many parents do the dirty work to ask all the info for the coach. Got to give him credit. He had the balls to do it your face. Instead of sending the parent to do it.

I'm going to say the following and anticipate flack for speaking my mind.

If a player decides to leave a team. Ecause they choose to or were recruited, it should be their right, parents just have to understand that burning a bridge in such a small community is very difficult to recover from. Parents are going to do what they think is best for their kid. Also important to remember the no transfer rule is not in the benefit of the player but a rule created to protect the revenue the player generates for the club. Just my $.02

If a player decides to leave a team. Ecause they choose to or were recruited, it should be their right, parents just have to understand that burning a bridge in such a small community is very difficult to recover from. Parents are going to do what they think is best for their kid. Also important to remember the no transfer rule is not in the benefit of the player but a rule created to protect the revenue the player generates for the club. Just my $.02

The transfer restrictions during league and state cup tournaments protect the interests of the average players on the teams high in the table from being displaced if their club were free to recruit the better players from the other teams.

REALLY!!!!!
Cory, this is pretty sad for their team. You shouldn't have to go outside the guidelines to get impact players. Good team results should speak for themselves.

Sorry but that was 5 yrs ago.
And you really think it doesn't exist anymore?

There wasn't so many leagues like there is now. The majority of the team are diluted. Most of them went to Academy level. Their is very few left in the Tier 1 teams that have great players. But after this season that will change again.

Back