coaches ejections and cards

LifeisGood

SILVER ELITE
Are coaches shown yellow or red cards or just verbal warnings and ejections? Does it depend on the league?
Also, if a parent is sent off, what's the follow up to make sure that parent is suspended for next two games? Does the ref get the name and sends it to the league? Who checks on that?

Are coaches shown yellow or red cards or just verbal warnings and ejections? Does it depend on the league?
Also, if a parent is sent off, what's the follow up to make sure that parent is suspended for next two games? Does the ref get the name and sends it to the league? Who checks on that?

Depends on the league.

What league rule says parents sit out 2 games?

Depends on the league.

What league rule says parents sit out 2 games?

SCDSL, up to the clubs & coaches to enforce. Some of the "player" agreement(s) I've seen or heard about specific actions if parents are ejected, 3 games for example 1st offense, 5x 2nd, etc.

Never had a parent ejected at one of our games but have seen them ejected on others.
Had one parent ejected at a tournament in the previous game. After fighting with the refs at the desk, he came on to our field as we were starting to fight with the center ref. Some of our parents had to walk him to his car.

A coach from my kids previous team got a yellow shown at a regular season game (Coast Soccer at the time).

*edit: Forgot to add, I have seen refs speak to parents when they start getting out of control. It was my understanding that the parents were the responsibility of the coach.
I did see a ref speak to a coach who had to get the manager to speak to a parent on the opposite side to calm down a parent.

Never had a parent ejected at one of our games but have seen them ejected on others.
Had one parent ejected at a tournament in the previous game. After fighting with the refs at the desk, he came on to our field as we were starting to fight with the center ref. Some of our parents had to walk him to his car.

A coach from my kids previous team got a yellow shown at a regular season game (Coast Soccer at the time).

By "fight", do you mean argue?

By "fight", do you mean argue?
Argue loudly, fists clenched, lots of F you, Ill kick your ass, etc. That's when our parents walked him to his car.

This was a few years ago and was the worst that I'd seen. The team he was with left while he was on his tirade. No idea what caused the issue or if anything came out of it. It was a tournament and not regular season if that makes a difference as well.

Under IFAB LOTG cards may only be shown to players, substitutes and substituted players. Cards are not to be shown to coaches, other team personnel or spectators. I have heard of some competition authorities that direct referees to show cards to coaches, etc, but those are competition rules rather than LOTG.

Strictly speaking, parents are not "sent off." The referee should inform the coach that the match is temporarily suspended until the spectator causing the problem leaves the area and then relies on the coach/team manager/other parents to apply the peer pressure to get that person to leave. If the person doesn't leave the referee can terminate the match. In either case, the referee will file a match report describing the incident and leave the resolution of the incident to the competition authority. The competition authority can then, in its discretion and subject to due process procedures, impose penalties on the parent and potentially the club. I imagine if the team/club refuses to identify the parent involved the disciplinary panel would not look favorably on this. It is up to the team/club to enforce any disciplinary action imposed.

Note that high school rules require showing cards to players, substitutes, coaches and other bench personnel, all of whom should be on the team roster. No cards for spectators.

Some leagues and tournaments invite referees to show cards to coaches, but as has been stated, the LOTG only allows cards are for players, substitutes etc. Coaches can be removed by referees. As for parents, technically, referees aren't supposed to have to deal with them, the coach is. However..... some coaches won't, and some don't do enough. Referees can insist a parent leaves the area or the game will not resume. I've done it several times, and won't hesitate to do it again if need be. Some referees will remove the coach, and that's what we're instructed to so, but in certain situations, that would be to the detriment of the players, and sometimes, the coach isn't all that culpable.

Anytime any of this happens, it is imperative that the referee write a report, both in the online reporting if that particular league has it, and with a supplemental report, sent to league or tournament officials, along with his/her assignor and the association he/she works for. You have to write a report, and make sure as many people see it as possible, so the behavior is eliminated. A name would be nice if you had it, but that team knows who the parent is so the league can find out. Most clubs and most gaming leagues will deal with single bad apple parents, and/or teams of unruly parents. It almost always starts from the coach though. If the coach is abusive, the parents think it's ok to be abusive also. If the coach lays down the law with the parents, and doesn't allow them to scream at referees or to scream instructions, all of this is avoided.

When I have a coach remove a spectator, usually a parent, I send in a match report. I always ask either the manager or coach for the players name associated with removed spectator(s). If the coach or manager refuses to provide the name than I note it on the report. I had one team's coach and manager refuse to provide the name so I reported it to the league. I found out the league suspended the coach and manager for two games each.

...If the coach is abusive, the parents think it's ok to be abusive also. If the coach lays down the law with the parents, and doesn't allow them to scream at referees or to scream instructions, all of this is avoided.

Yep, coaches set the tone.

They are shown cards if competition rules say so.

The team manager/coach is responsible to make sure dismissed parent sits out for the number the league specifies. The league informs them and also specifies the penalty for not following through. And it could be more than two games.

When I have a coach remove a spectator, usually a parent, I send in a match report. I always ask either the manager or coach for the players name associated with removed spectator(s). If the coach or manager refuses to provide the name than I note it on the report. I had one team's coach and manager refuse to provide the name so I reported it to the league. I found out the league suspended the coach and manager for two games each.
Some team officials think they are being clever and give fictitious names. But I always find out their names from the players before I dismiss them. It's usually a man. "Captain, I need to talk to that gentleman over there. What's his name?" I give the league the real name and the fictitious one. When they do this the punishment is usually severe.

We just played a team in League Cup last weekend where CSL listed both the coach (by name) and the assistant coach as having 4 red cards each. Don’t now what actually happened but that team’s first 3 games were 0-1 losses which could be forfeited games. But the cost and assistant coach were on the yellow/red card list.

Some team officials think they are being clever and give fictitious names. But I always find out their names from the players before I dismiss them. It's usually a man. "Captain, I need to talk to that gentleman over there. What's his name?" I give the league the real name and the fictitious one. When they do this the punishment is usually severe.

Delusional.

Parents and players will mirror the coaches behavior. If the coach complains and yells all the time, the parents and kids will follow. The coach can set the tone with his sideline.

Back