Coach working in God mode?

Gee

SILVER
My story about Coach Javier Torres Beach FC South Bay Flight 2 2007 girls team..

If 6 or more players parents have the same complaints about a coach being lazy, showing up late for games and tournaments, not talking to parents and his team and a list of other things that point to bad coaching and because of this the entire team left to go to other clubs what should be punishment for this coach??

As of now I personally spoke with the president Steve Grace of this club and the president of this club told me 5 other parents have voiced issues with this coach this season and as a result all have left this club. That’s half the kids and parents on the team gone. We had one parent quit just before state cup as they were already beyond tired of the bullshit. The president did apologize for the coaches bad behavior and said that he wishes I would of let him know 6 months ago...

This coach is still working at Beach FC South Bay and now he coaches a new Flight 1 2007 Girls team and I believe he coaches 2 or more girls teams.

So it’s ok for this type of bad behavior poor attitude as coach to go on and as kids and parents we are just supposed to move on and this coach keeps his job and nothing happens he’s operating in God Mode?

What really strikes me funny is the fact that our Flight 2 team was second place for our league season only losing to a strong Flight 2 team that came down from Flight 1 from the year before and although the tournaments we did not win any we did at least win one game at every tournament and we played around 45 games total including scrimmages I felt entire team played very well chemistry was starting to happen and moving entire team to Flight 1 and training hard for the next season I thought would of been the best choice for the club and team.

With all that said political agendas over ruled the bright future for this team unfortunately.. as some parents would like to say that’s just par for the course..

First Tudela and now Beach FC??? Maybe they are not the problem, you are.

Go get some therapy!

Nah these clubs are all about business (your money) and politics do your homework my friend I’ve done mine just wish I would’ve learned about this bullshit sooner.

Am I missing the part where you guys actually sat down with the coach to deal with the situation head on?

The coach avoided any talk with parents and stayed non-vocal and rarely responded to any email. I am close friends with the team manager and many parents from this team that are no longer there. Only 4 players stayed on and only 2 players from his Flight 2 team stayed there playing on his Flight 1 team. That speaks for itself.

..........If 6 or more players parents have the same complaints about a coach being lazy, showing up late for games and tournaments, not talking to parents and his team and a list of other things that point to bad coaching and because of this the entire team left to go to other clubs what should be punishment for this coach??.......

Since you didn't say anything about actual coaching of soccer, I assume your are making the statement based on his interactions with parents and you're expectation of the position. We don't have anything to assess how good or bad the coaching is.

While its not all that uncommon for coaches not communicating with parents, at this young age, I would expect more interaction than not. As for being late, its hard to generalize because we have no knowledge of his other team commitments or day-job conflicts. Yes coaches do have day jobs and soccer thing is just a part time income.

As for being lazy, its your subjective assessment and there are no examples to indicate that is the case based on your writings. Just being late or not taking to parents do not make him lazy. It may be something else but not lazy.

Last, why do you seek retribution against the coach? If he is as bad as you say, the club will fire him one day. If he has in with the club and is bad as you say, it will hurt the club ultimately. Either way, you, sounds like, have moved on and it simply is not worth the effort to bad mouth the coach or the club.

If you are trying to warn others of your bad experience (btw, sorry to hear), then perhaps you consider a different tone and words to describe the situation.

I have no knowledge of this coach, club or your particular situation but since this is a public forum, just read the subject headline and just wondered how a coach worked in God mode... I was actually thinking more like miracle worker based on the title.....

The common denominator in all your failed relationships is you.

But hey man, I do feel your pain. We've seen lying, unethical, bad coaches keep jobs and good coaches get pushed out at clubs all over the place. All I can say is that you never know half of what is going on behind the scenes. But since you are in charge of guiding your child through the process of finding coaches/teams/clubs, you have to be better at evaluating people. Learn how to spot the bad communicators, people who are lazy, people who are dishonest. The key is not in what they say, it's how they say it. It's in their eyes when you walk up to say hello. It's how they talk to and treat other people around them. You can see it in how they handle the kids if you watch a few practices. It sucks now, but you'll be better in the long run to take these experiences as lessons learned. And so will your kid. It's a part of life, not just club soccer.

And I would also say that although my kid has been screwed over by a club and a coach before, I dealt with it behind closed doors. I approached the coach to clear the air privately. When that didn't work, I went to the DoC and had a meeting with both. I never went to the other parents on the team to complain or air my dirty laundry or gossip. We eventually left the club, but I don't go on public forums and trash them by name. Even today if someone asks me about that club or that coach, I'll tell them that our experience ended badly, but I also tell them that I know others who had a great experience with both club and coach. Maybe I was part of the problem. Maybe it was my kid. I don't know, but once I realized I didn't trust the people in charge, I left and found people who were a better fit for me and my child. End of story.

Stay classy, because you never know when you may cross paths with these people again. It's a small world.

I think Vince Neil of Motely Crue said it best "Don't Go Away Mad, Just Go Away"

So the team played 45 games in a year. I assume this coach was at most of these games. I'm guessing that's between 25 and 30 weekends (Saturday or Sunday. Or both).

Showing up late for games - If a coach has more than 1 team, there is a pretty good chance there will be some overlap once in a while. What's important is that there is someone to get the girls warmed up and ready to play. How late was he for the actual start of the game?

Showing up late for practices - How late? A few minutes? 45 minutes? If 10 minutes or more, was there someone there to fill in? Did the players get started with another team on the club until the coach arrived?

Is he a screaming jerk of a coach who makes kids cry? Does he know the game? Does he know how to work with this age group? Do the players enjoy coming to practice and playing in games?

Let me get this right- You and 5 other players left the club. Hopefully you found something better. But you also want the coach to be fired? Dude is probably making $12k for coaching this team.

...what should be punishment for this coach??
What does his punishment have to do with you? You've moved on, so move on. It's up to the club to decide what to do with the him. Maybe they like him... Maybe he's the best they can find for what he costs...

What possible good can worrying about this do for your kid?

I’ve done figured it out and now I’m posting this bullshit out to the public so people know what’s really going on.
Thanks for letting us know that you can't play nicely with others and that you can't sip onto the Kool Aid!

I prefer people should be aware and learn from other people’s mistakes. The smart people will learn from the wise it’s called wisdom if everyone just turns their cheek and says nothing about this or that coach nothing is said and coach continues to behave the same way.

It seems like many of us tolerate this garbage and have developed some thick skin but why in the world should we tolerate this crap there is no excuse and we just let it continue same reason why half the United Stares hates Trump but he’s still in office.

And today I felt I should bill blass that ass because the coach and club deserve a bad report sorry I’m not holding my tongue!!

What really strikes me funny is the fact that our Flight 2 team was second place for our league season only losing to a strong Flight 2 team that came down from Flight 1 from the year before and although the tournaments we did not win any we did at least win one game at every tournament and we played around 45 games total including scrimmages I felt entire team played very well chemistry was starting to happen and moving entire team to Flight 1 and training hard for the next season I thought would of been the best choice for the club and team.

At some clubs, Flight 2 teams are just that: Flight 2 teams. It's why SCDSL was created. What's most likely best for Beach is to build a Flight 1 team of 12-year-olds from scratch, or to inherit one (add a coach) and move a couple kids from that Flight 2 team onto it. Then they still have a Flight 2 team to offer parents.

Unlike these douchbags posting negatively I appreciate your candor and willingness to share your opinion. The soccer community will benefit from your experience. Don't let the negative posters get into your head by parsing your words. You and the other parents might consider finding this coach and beating the shit out of him. I think you would feel better.

The coach avoided any talk with parents and stayed non-vocal and rarely responded to any email. I am close friends with the team manager and many parents from this team that are no longer there. Only 4 players stayed on and only 2 players from his Flight 2 team stayed there playing on his Flight 1 team. That speaks for itself.
So again...you didn’t have an open discussion with the Coach because he “avoided you”, was he not at games or practices? Did you contact the SouthBay Director to ask if a parent Coach meeting could be arranged because your Coach was openly “avoiding you”? Did you reach out to the DOC? Trust me SG is one of the best, but he won’t get involved in Coaching matters that’s not his job. But he always listens and will do more than he should.

This is me, sharing my learned experience dealing with a similar situation. There is always a way to get that meeting if you really wanted it. Now your message gets lost in the sour grapes and that’s a shame.

So again...you didn’t have an open discussion with the Coach because he “avoided you”, was he not at games or practices? Did you contact the SouthBay Director to ask if a parent Coach meeting could be arranged because your Coach was openly “avoiding you”? Did you reach out to the DOC? Trust me SG is one of the best, but he won’t get involved in Coaching matters that’s not his job. But he always listens and will do more than he should.

This is me, sharing my learned experience dealing with a similar situation. There is always a way to get that meeting if you really wanted it. Now your message gets lost in the sour grapes and that’s a shame.
Oh gee, sour grapes are not good for making w(h)ine...or are they? :D

Last edited:

SG is a great individual. Very committed.

Toxic parents are the main problem in youth soccer.

There are lot's of problems with youth soccer including, without limitation:

-Toxic parents
-Parents obsessed with chasing the win
-Parents obsessed with developing their kids at the expense of the team (meekly raises hand)
-Parents who try to buy their way through club
-Parents who don't give a darn
-Coaches more concerned with their livelihood than the kids
-Toxic coaches
-Coaches with old information or who don't know how to coach
-DOCs more concerned with their livelihood than the kids or coaches
-Toxic DOCs
-Clubs, which while supposedly non-profit, put their growth ahead of the kids.
-Referees that don't know how to ref
-Referees more concerned with the cash than the kids
-Colleges that fuel the current system by making it all about admits and scholarships
-The US Soccer Federation that is obsessed with developing the men's national team
-Local orgs like CalSouth obssessed with amassing training fees and selling their planning tools
-An MLS resistant to change
-A culture which places winning in front of the development of kids
-A culture in which soccer, at least on the men's side, isn't a priority sport
-A system where we don't have a lot of good volunteer coaches because most people didn't grow up with the sport

Lot's of unclean hands to go around. And no, I'm not saying every parent/ref/DOC/coach is lousy.

And while it makes my top 10, I'm not even sure toxic parents make my top 3 for what's wrong with this system. o_O

Yeah, I'm seriously off the kool-aid and in a post-kool-aid sugar crash.

Back