Coach Bullying

Did this phone call have a significant negative impact your child’s soccer career and, if so, how? In the end, the risk of retaliation is way overblown. As a great soccer parent/philosopher once said on Jan. 16 in the “When should a player look for a new club?” thread:

“Yes but it take a special kind of a$@hole to call another DOC and make things up when he does not get his way. Thank goodness credible coachs and DOCs dont believe his crap.”
No it did not have an impact other than an uncomfortable meeting btw my wife and the new DOC until she realized it was not an issue and he was just giving us a heads up. Luckily the DOC knew first hand the bs the other DOC pulled. However, it did impact other families we know of where the new club said no to even a tryout; my understanding was that fields for a tournament were not going to be allowed otherwise.

@Bananacorner It would be nice to know the club and the specific allegations. Who knows, this could be an extreme situation so that all the comments above are way off the mark. Apples and oranges?

This isnt anything new. Besides seeing this at just about every tournament ive been at, ive sat on a field where my kid does group training. Here is something i heard recently at a Big Club Training Session:

kids all sitting in a circle around the coach
Coach: Johnny. He is a game changer. Always attacking. Billy. He is also good. Does a great job doing X, Y, Z.
(at this point i thought the guy was talking about another team)
Coach: YOU, SAMMY! YOU DONT SHOW UP TO PRACTICE. YOU DONT DO X, Y, Z. I CAN GET ANOTHER KID IN HERE TO TAKE YOUR SPOT TOMORROW!

So you think this is an older age group, maybe even 12 year olds? Nope. Kids had to be maybe 7 years old. Parents dont hear this because they are all watch at tables a good distance from the kids. Wish the kid was old enough to defend himself, so the kid could have told the guy, "Hey Dude, I dont have a license, a car, a bus pass or a phone to get an Uber". the coach seemed a touch high-strung.

What does this have to do with a male coach shaking an 18 year old player like a baby and screaming in her face during a DA game? Is this the parents fault as well?
Yes. As a parent if you see this. Have the nuts to get in the game and F off the coach. Or at the very least tell him after the game that he was out of line and you will be demanding an apology. If he kicks your child out of the team, you take it to a higher level. If there's no higher level, go to a different program

Back