Club not letting you play state/national cup.

So getting the manager reimbursed would be a good thing to do. Always tell managers to have the club treasurer submit the payments - whether its covered by club or not. A good club will send the check out and manager/team reimburses the club. Covers the manager/team and club can handle any disputes over money with a tournament organizer.

Our Club Treasurer doesn't even have the experience of "Accounting" so imagine how messed up it is. She also said that she wouldn't send any payments because that is not her job. That the teams are responsible for paying the tournaments.

From what I know, at one point we needed players, so the club said to get whatever players we could get. So the players were only told to pay the $25 for the card, and for uniforms. that's it. No mention of contract or needing to pay later.

That's a lot cheaper than AYSO......No way that club can stay afloat with $25 per player (understanding some players pay more).

Our Club Treasurer doesn't even have the experience of "Accounting" so imagine how messed up it is. She also said that she wouldn't send any payments because that is not her job. That the teams are responsible for paying the tournaments.

yeah i figured it would be something like that. would be half-way nuts or not care about money to take the mgr job of that team - or someone who didnt know what they were getting into. if that is how the club is run, time to go find another club.

funny, her job is just to count the money coming in? sounds like my old job's account, aka the boss' wife, "my job is to take checks to the bank".

yeah i figured it would be something like that. would be half-way nuts or not care about money to take the mgr job of that team - or someone who didnt know what they were getting into. if that is how the club is run, time to go find another club.

funny, her job is just to count the money coming in? sounds like my old job's account, aka the boss' wife, "my job is to take checks to the bank".

When I was a team manager, I kept all financial matters closed among myself, the coach, and interested board members. The only time I had to act the heavy was when the board treasurer sent me a list of players whose payments were in arrears late in league season (everyone soon paid up since the board threatened to pull cards before State Cup).

Other managers of teams on which my kids played handled things in totally different ways. On one team, the coach and manager paid "scholarships" out of their own pockets for a few players whose parents had no money and were good on the field (and I helped out with travel expenses). On another, the manager sent out a monthly spreadsheet showing for every player how much their parents had paid, and who was behind, to everyone.

When I was a team manager, I kept all financial matters closed among myself, the coach, and interested board members. The only time I had to act the heavy was when the board treasurer sent me a list of players whose payments were in arrears late in league season (everyone soon paid up since the board threatened to pull cards before State Cup).

Other managers of teams on which my kids played handled things in totally different ways. On one team, the coach and manager paid "scholarships" out of their own pockets for a few players whose parents had no money and were good on the field (and I helped out with travel expenses). On another, the manager sent out a monthly spreadsheet showing for every player how much their parents had paid, and who was behind, to everyone.
Once upon a time taking care of your obligations and not putting others in a bind due to your failure to do so was considered being responsible.

Now making people do so is considered shaming, bullying or some other new fangled term to relieve them of their need to do so, because we feel bad for them.

In the past some parents have expressed sending out who pays/doesn't but it depends on what the structure of the club is. Hell, TeamSnap has this function, so it must be common practice on sports teams. In the past arguments have arisen due to parents telling their kids and the kids mouthing off at practice. Kids should just show up and play - not worry about cards, fees, birth certs or whatever is needed to participate. We've had parents confront other parents and have it escalate to physical confrontations. Every club I've dealt with has scholarship kids, most as you mentioned are the ones who are very good, which helps the club. So the club is okay with this but want a manager/coach to hammer on a kid who's parents got behind on payments? A community based club or one adhering to nonprofit guidelines wouldn't allow for this - since scholarships are not to be performance based (for the most part). Most clubs welcome managers pushing to collect fees, since they dont want to chase them. IMO, not the managers obligation - unless the managers kid is playing for free and this is something the club gets you to do in exchange. Not worth the headache, free or not free.

From my experience being late on payments usually happens due to things such as: loss of main income, medical bills, sudden adoptions, legal matters, death and other unforeseen issues. When parents communicate the issue, solutions are usually found - but usually months down the road. In the meantime the info is out and people jump to conclusions or just dont care. Most folks, ones ive dealt with, are proud and dont ask for help - thus it takes months to get to a solution. So we have run into the issues i mentioned before and things have escalated over common life problems. Some folks on the board seem to live fairy tale lives and never needed help. (not directed at you espola, looks like youve tried to help your kids teammates)

Some parents have issues with the "good kids" being on scholarship as well. City/County/State Govs have real big issue with this - donations come with guidelines and sponsorship should be based on need, regardless of talent. Not to do so could get things like fields pulled. Obviously kids who have talent get benefit quicker, but not at the expense of someone else in need. This is a reason why some clubs have stopped being community based. They dont want to any guidelines or restrictions. Some clubs that are nonprofit status dont abide by the legal "spirit" of what nonprofit is suppose to entail, but thats another long winded topic.

Where I am at now,the policy is to do things professionally and legally. Managers are not privy to the financials of the individual teams - at least not suppose to be. Managers only send out initial emails with links to sign and backend of the site does the rest. No need to threaten or punish by pulling cards - actually a bit petty. Instead, people who havent paid or havent setup a payment plan are sent a bill to be paid. If the bill is not paid within the indicated time, it might be sent to collections. The child also will not be able to get a card on another team if the club reports outstanding dues to Cal South.

As mentioned most clubs hammer the dues to before the cup because it is important to the child/parent & coach- used as leverage. These tactics can create bigger issues. All that said, very dependent on the club, club size and if the club is community based or how they op as a nonprofit. Aspects if a club is for-profit or not-for-profit are important... at least they should be. Some clubs can also face push-back from sponsors, city/county gov (if working with govs) & donors if certain methods of payment collection is used - like collection agency or divulging unpaid dues publicly.

sorry for the long-winded post. true if you sign up pay. honor obligations, but not always cut and dry.

Once upon a time taking care of your obligations and not putting others in a bind due to your failure to do so was considered being responsible.

Now making people do so is considered shaming, bullying or some other new fangled term to relieve them of their need to do so, because we feel bad for them.

if it were only about that. not taking into account other possible issues. if you owe pay, dont think anyone argues against that. heaven forbid someone runs into a life problem and dont want your issues aired out to a soccer team.

In the past some parents have expressed sending out who pays/doesn't but it depends on what the structure of the club is. Hell, TeamSnap has this function, so it must be common practice on sports teams. In the past arguments have arisen due to parents telling their kids and the kids mouthing off at practice. Kids should just show up and play - not worry about cards, fees, birth certs or whatever is needed to participate. We've had parents confront other parents and have it escalate to physical confrontations. Every club I've dealt with has scholarship kids, most as you mentioned are the ones who are very good, which helps the club. So the club is okay with this but want a manager/coach to hammer on a kid who's parents got behind on payments? A community based club or one adhering to nonprofit guidelines wouldn't allow for this - since scholarships are not to be performance based (for the most part). Most clubs welcome managers pushing to collect fees, since they dont want to chase them. IMO, not the managers obligation - unless the managers kid is playing for free and this is something the club gets you to do in exchange. Not worth the headache, free or not free.

From my experience being late on payments usually happens due to things such as: loss of main income, medical bills, sudden adoptions, legal matters, death and other unforeseen issues. When parents communicate the issue, solutions are usually found - but usually months down the road. In the meantime the info is out and people jump to conclusions or just dont care. Most folks, ones ive dealt with, are proud and dont ask for help - thus it takes months to get to a solution. So we have run into the issues i mentioned before and things have escalated over common life problems. Some folks on the board seem to live fairy tale lives and never needed help. (not directed at you espola, looks like youve tried to help your kids teammates)

Some parents have issues with the "good kids" being on scholarship as well. City/County/State Govs have real big issue with this - donations come with guidelines and sponsorship should be based on need, regardless of talent. Not to do so could get things like fields pulled. Obviously kids who have talent get benefit quicker, but not at the expense of someone else in need. This is a reason why some clubs have stopped being community based. They dont want to any guidelines or restrictions. Some clubs that are nonprofit status dont abide by the legal "spirit" of what nonprofit is suppose to entail, but thats another long winded topic.

Where I am at now,the policy is to do things professionally and legally. Managers are not privy to the financials of the individual teams - at least not suppose to be. Managers only send out initial emails with links to sign and backend of the site does the rest. No need to threaten or punish by pulling cards - actually a bit petty. Instead, people who havent paid or havent setup a payment plan are sent a bill to be paid. If the bill is not paid within the indicated time, it might be sent to collections. The child also will not be able to get a card on another team if the club reports outstanding dues to Cal South.

As mentioned most clubs hammer the dues to before the cup because it is important to the child/parent & coach- used as leverage. These tactics can create bigger issues. All that said, very dependent on the club, club size and if the club is community based or how they op as a nonprofit. Aspects if a club is for-profit or not-for-profit are important... at least they should be. Some clubs can also face push-back from sponsors, city/county gov (if working with govs) & donors if certain methods of payment collection is used - like collection agency or divulging unpaid dues publicly.

sorry for the long-winded post. true if you sign up pay. honor obligations, but not always cut and dry.

When my sons joined the "tell-all" club, they came in as transfers from a younger club team playing up for National Cup, since the team they were on was not going to play NC. I didn't realize the situation until I got the first manager email with complete spreadsheet attached. We were expected to pay a pro-rated portion of the coach's fees, plus our proper share of the NC expenses, so everyone else's share was reduced accordingly, and showing everyone that made us more welcome.

When my sons joined the "tell-all" club, they came in as transfers from a younger club team playing up for National Cup, since the team they were on was not going to play NC. I didn't realize the situation until I got the first manager email with complete spreadsheet attached. We were expected to pay a pro-rated portion of the coach's fees, plus our proper share of the NC expenses, so everyone else's share was reduced accordingly, and showing everyone that made us more welcome.

where my friend's children play he gets a full spreadsheet as a manager. some parents, as your teams have done, have paid the dues of other kids. so their fees would show up like the other parents who are paying on time or show they have a zero balance. he told me they would send it out monthly. knowing one of the other parents on the team i asked her how that worked for her, she said "well...but". the but was the team could figure out who was on scholarship since they had a zero balance from the start. some parents are quick to pay the entire balance at once, but most parents are savvy enough to know who couldnt pay a lump sum. i suggested he modify the process a bit. hah

i will add most people who use the debt/payment function on the sports apps say it helps. then again most are using it to track a few hundred bucks at a time for tournaments and other expenses. start talking a couple grand and people's emotions start getting bothered.

I don’t think I’ve seen a name of the club or The team. This is the kind of thing that should be exposed so unsuspecting parents don’t sign up for this scam next year.

I don’t think I’ve seen a name of the club or The team. This is the kind of thing that should be exposed so unsuspecting parents don’t sign up for this scam next year.
Curious what scam that would be? The scam that families chose not to pay their bills and now the club has finally decided to put their foot down? And fwiw I'm aware that some families may not be able to afford to pay, but it's also just as likely they COULD pay but choose not to. Why pay to play when you can pay for free? We've known quite a few families who've been offered scholarships for various teams if they'd just produce financials showing need--the parents refused so the child was removed from the roster.

You work out a solution to not shaft the paying families. Yes. People can be jerks and not pay dues. Ban them from playing. Bust up the team and keep the paying half with others or a B team.

There’s always a solution if you want to create one. Or you can let a few bad apples ruin everything for the team.

Back