Club linesman

Ok refs. Two good refs show up for a game, unfortunately the third doesn't make it for whatever reason so you are stuck with two refs at game time -- what do you do? Do you run a two man system or grab a parent from one of the two teams to be a club linesman?

If you use a club linesman as a referee (AR) what do you tell the club linesman that you want him to do? Just signal when the ball goes out of bounds? Point direction too? Keep up with last defender (but for what, you are not suppose to call offside)? Is it bad optics to have the club linesman point direction for throw ins (especially if it is a dad from one of the two teams)? Is it bad optics to have the club linesman take the halftime break with the other two refs over at the ref tent? As a CR do you compensate for the club linesman who is not suppose to call offside by positioning yourself closer to the last defender on the club linesman side than you normally do? Let's say you know this game will be heated and there is a "history" between these two teams, do handle things differently?

This is an old retread, but I'll bite....

Ok refs. Two good refs show up for a game, unfortunately the third doesn't make it for whatever reason so you are stuck with two refs at game time -- what do you do? Do you run a two man system or grab a parent from one of the two teams to be a club linesman?
Most leagues don't allow the two-man on field system, so as to Club Linesman...
If you use a club linesman as a referee (AR) what do you tell the club linesman that you want him to do? Just signal when the ball goes out of bounds? Point direction too? Keep up with last defender (but for what, you are not suppose to call offside)? Is it bad optics to have the club linesman point direction for throw ins (especially if it is a dad from one of the two teams)?
Club linesman (is not an AR, or referee at all) can only signal if the ball is out of bounds or not, referee can still overrule. Opticts irrelevant.
Is it bad optics to have the club linesman take the halftime break with the other two refs over at the ref tent? As a CR do you compensate for the club linesman who is not suppose to call offside by positioning yourself closer to the last defender on the club linesman side than you normally do? Let's say you know this game will be heated and there is a "history" between these two teams, do handle things differently?
Lots of baited questions here. Frankly, most good referees I know will not use club linesman, instead relaying more on the AR, and moving appropriately (because of stupid coaches and parent that think that the outcome of the game turns on whether a ball is out of bounds on the touch line.) Of course offside has to be fairly judged on the uncovered side, and the referee has to handle this.

I would use the club linesman, BUT, adjust my positioning based on the experience of the AR. I've had multiple instances where the club linesman is a Grade 9 (Rec) or Grade 8 (Youth Competitive) and that is much better than the typical parent (Grade R - rose coloured glasses). Knowing Cal South sanctioned leagues don't allow the 2 man system; if I'm lucky I have experience and confidence on the sideline and my instructions are "Look, its just the two of us, call everything you see and not just in your quadrant, I'll be trailing or advance of the play more than usual to make up for the loss of the AR so please expand your view and calls."

I would use the club linesman, BUT, adjust my positioning based on the experience of the AR. I've had multiple instances where the club linesman is a Grade 9 (Rec) or Grade 8 (Youth Competitive) and that is much better than the typical parent (Grade R - rose coloured glasses). Knowing Cal South sanctioned leagues don't allow the 2 man system; if I'm lucky I have experience and confidence on the sideline and my instructions are "Look, its just the two of us, call everything you see and not just in your quadrant, I'll be trailing or advance of the play more than usual to make up for the loss of the AR so please expand your view and calls."

You don't expect the AR to make foul calls in your normal 3-man setup?

You don't expect the AR to make foul calls in your normal 3-man setup?

@espola, correct and you raise a good point that many parents/spectators don't appreciate.

My typical pre-game instructions are "Call fouls you are 100% certain of in your quadrant. Give me the opportunity to call all borderline fouls (i.e. careless but trifling) first. Make all yellow or red card level calls you see anywhere on the pitch." At the half we talk about what we are seeing, player/numbers that are getting chippy, if I'm going to keep it loose or tighten it up.

Because "by the letter of the law" we have fouls occurring just about every 20 to 30 seconds, in a typical game ... pushing, holding, etc., the typical AR will defer to the Center to manage the game flow by understanding the center's demeanour and style. For example, I tend to call a "loose" game as long as the players are respectful to each other. I tend to find many careless fouls that don't impact gameplay "trifling." I don't want my AR's raising their flags all the time for every little transgression that falls on the light side of careless.

So, correct, I (and most experienced centers) don't expect AR's to make fouls calls, except for the big ones, in a normal 3-man setup.

@espola, correct and you raise a good point that many parents/spectators don't appreciate.

My typical pre-game instructions are "Call fouls you are 100% certain of in your quadrant. Give me the opportunity to call all borderline fouls (i.e. careless but trifling) first. Make all yellow or red card level calls you see anywhere on the pitch." At the half we talk about what we are seeing, player/numbers that are getting chippy, if I'm going to keep it loose or tighten it up.

Because "by the letter of the law" we have fouls occurring just about every 20 to 30 seconds, in a typical game ... pushing, holding, etc., the typical AR will defer to the Center to manage the game flow by understanding the center's demeanour and style. For example, I tend to call a "loose" game as long as the players are respectful to each other. I tend to find many careless fouls that don't impact gameplay "trifling." I don't want my AR's raising their flags all the time for every little transgression that falls on the light side of careless.

So, correct, I (and most experienced centers) don't expect AR's to make fouls calls, except for the big ones, in a normal 3-man setup.
concur, depending upon who the AR is, if i know or have worked with him/her, their level of experience. if i have a very competent AR i tend not to get as far into the corner of the field, and i rely on their judgement more to make foul calls close to them. and, a good competent AR will almost always look at the center before calling a foul, to see if they've seen the foul or might be waiting to see if an advantage develops, etc.

and i really don't like using club linesmen. more of a problem usually than a help. center referee has to stay close to the offside line on that side, and rely on the AR more heavily to make pertinent calls in the other half. and the coaches have to realize that trapping and pushing a high defensive line might not be the best tactic for that situation....

No dual-system in any USSF/Cal South sanctioned game. I hate using club linesmen unless I know they are a Referee. Even then I just tell them where to stand and to only raise the flag straight up when the ball goes over the touch line. I would rather work with just one AR and skip using the CL on most games below U16. U16 and above I will normally use a CL.

Why wait for halftime? Why not address things in real time?

No dual-system in any USSF/Cal South sanctioned game. I hate using club linesmen unless I know they are a Referee. Even then I just tell them where to stand and to only raise the flag straight up when the ball goes over the touch line. I would rather work with just one AR and skip using the CL on most games below U16. U16 and above I will normally use a CL.
I do not use club linesmen regardless of the level.

Back