Club linesman???

Hello refs,

What are your thoughts on a club linesmen? We had a closed game today and one of our best opportunities was squashed when the added ref made a terrible call (actually related to the thread about being in an offside position but not playing the ball).

I would think that if the home team couldn't arrange for the third ref then the visiting team would have the choice to be the 3rd ref and get any bias.

Club linesman are only allowed to call out of bounds. Nothing else. Center covers offsides, etc.
Correct, meaning only if the ball is out of bounds. They don't even get to call the direction of a throw in. Shouldn't be used at in competitive games, for all the bais reasons cited in the OP, and because they cause more problems than they assist the referee.

Why wouldn't a crew just just run a true 2 man system versus getting a 3rd involved. If the CR is calling offside (and not the club linesman) then he is/was way out of position since he was in the circle for 75% of the match.

Correct, meaning only if the ball is out of bounds. They don't even get to call the direction of a throw in. Shouldn't be used at in competitive games, for all the bais reasons cited in the OP, and because they cause more problems than they assist the referee.
Certain gaming leagues “recommend” we use club linensmen. It’s alaways more problems than its worth. I’d rather not

Why wouldn't a crew just just run a true 2 man system versus getting a 3rd involved. If the CR is calling offside (and not the club linesman) then he is/was way out of position since he was in the circle for 75% of the match.
We can not run a duel system with two whistles
Not allowed in USsf sanctioned matches

This is such a dumb rule...
Not really. It would require referees to be trained in a completely different system than they use on a usual basis, for the rare chance that they may need to work a 2 man system one time, if ever.

Also, many games at the younger levels involve ARs that are not quite yet trained to even be a (center) referee in a 3 man system. Training them in the 2 man system before they are competent in a 3 would be counterproductive.

All the referees I'm with received an email last night from our assignor (which came from CSL) stating:

Reminder: It is NEVER ok to employ a two-whistle system in Coast Soccer League games.

If only two referees show up for a game; then one does the center, one does a line and a club linesman is recruited to do the other line.

Thanks,

CSL

Guess it's already a problem... And I believe SCDSL is the same (Not a lot of SCDSL games in the LA area)
But like Coachrefparent said, the club linesman can only raise the flag when the ball is out of bounds and the center referee shows the direction, goal kick, or corner kick. That's it, nothing more, nothing less....

I hate using club linesmen. I'll use them in rec where there often aren't scheduled AR's, but not in competitive. I'd rather just run more. The game flips at the half and it evens out.

Even though I specifically ask them to only indicate out of play, all club linesmen want to make calls, and that makes it look like I'm getting input from them. Of course, the knuckleheads (not everyone) on the opponent's sideline assumes every time a call doesn't go their way, it was because I was listening to the club linesman. Some parents a bad enough and I'm not compelled to feed their victim complex.

Club linesmen can only indicate when the ball has gone out of play and cannot indicate the direction of the restart, and they cannot call offside. If you have video, I would file a protest with the league.

Hello refs,

What are your thoughts on a club linesmen? We had a closed game today and one of our best opportunities was squashed when the added ref made a terrible call (actually related to the thread about being in an offside position but not playing the ball).

I would think that if the home team couldn't arrange for the third ref then the visiting team would have the choice to be the 3rd ref and get any bias.

I never use a club linesman and a club lineman is NOT a referee. I usually just ask the coach to help me. Most coaches have good morals and will tell me the truth if the ball is out.

A dual system is not allowed. And, a duel system is not just something that easy if you have not done it before. It is a completely different way of running and controlling the game and takes experience to be good at it.

Certain gaming leagues “recommend” we use club linensmen. It’s alaways more problems than its worth. I’d rather not
Last year I was asked at my daughters U13 game to be a linesman by the ref crew. They instructed me to only call out of bounds. Leave the fouls and offsides to them.

Last year I was asked at my daughters U13 game to be a linesman by the ref crew. They instructed me to only call out of bounds. Leave the fouls and offsides to them.
I say that every time i get a club linesman, and every time I get calls on off-side and quite a few on fouls. One time a guy got upset with me when I didn't call a foul he flagged. This particular guy was eager to prove he wasn't biased.

I can't stand using club lineman. They always cause more headaches than they prevent. I usually will try to recruit a kid if I have to use one.

We had this happen last year vs a very dirty team. We were told they would give us GOOD (a very experienced referee) for our rematch game at home. Well, the 'experienced' referee DIDN'T show up for the game for whatever reason - so we had to the two ARs present. The two ARs said they would run a two man system -- but got nervous when we setup our video recording equipment (we record all games). They said they would only run the two man system if we didn't video tape the game. Come to find out that CSL does NOT allow the two man system and if word got back to CSL (or possibly the ref assignor) the referees were worried they could get in trouble. They ended up getting a club linesman from the other team (of course). The club linesman was calling (not calling for them) offside (was staying tightly with last defender etc...) and was pointing direction on all throw-ins. It may have been the case that the ref was ignoring his throw-in directions but it didn't appear to be the case since the same thing occurred in the second half. And at half-time the club linesman from the other team was sitting with the two other referees at half-time. I don't think he should've been doing that. It gives a bad appearance.

We have it all on video. Man -- by video taping every game we have captured some real interesting stuff that goes on in games. I recommend it for every team if it is something you can do.

I say that every time i get a club linesman, and every time I get calls on off-side and quite a few on fouls. One time a guy got upset with me when I didn't call a foul he flagged. This particular guy was eager to prove he wasn't biased.

I can't stand using club lineman. They always cause more headaches than they prevent. I usually will try to recruit a kid if I have to use one.
Not a bad idea. Well unfortunately for me I was nominated and had nothing to prove. Both team managers were approached by the ref assigned to run the middle and find someone. As I am known quantity to the other team I somehow got the nod. The nail on the coffin was that the ref recognized me as well. I was hesitant and looking forward to sitting and watching.

Last edited:
Back