Climate and Weather

Thunberg-Trudeau.jpg

Trudeau’s latest attempt to change the subject: Meeting with Greta Thunberg

JOHN SEXTON Posted at 5:21 pm on September 27, 2019

Justin Trudeau is doing everything he can think of to change the subject. Today he met with teen climate change activist Greta Thunberg and announced a plan to plant 2 billion trees:

First came the pledge to ban and buy back “military-style assault rifles” and support municipalities in banning handguns.

Next: Tax relief for middle-class households, and a vow to slash cellphone bills. Then promises to introduce a national prescription drug plan, to commit Canada to net-zero carbon emissions by 2050, to teach every Canadian how to camp by grade 8.

On Friday, a meeting with climate activist Greta Thunberg — and a commitment to plant 2 billion trees.

The story goes on to say that it’s unclear if all of these new proposals are working. Some polls show the Liberal Party losing ground in the wake of the blackface scandal while others suggest that may have been a blip.

I’m assuming Trudeau though the meeting with Greta Thunberg might result in some positive comments from her. He did, after all, call her the “voice of a generation.” But after the meeting she said Trudeau wasn’t doing enough:

Thunberg, however, indicated that she expects more, even of leaders who welcome the movement. Scientists this week issued new dire warnings about the consequences of rising temperatures on the world’s oceans and cold regions.

“He (Trudeau) is of course obviously not doing enough, but this is just a huge problem, this is a system that is wrong,” she said.

Thunberg has previously criticized Canada for approving a new oil pipeline:

Greta Thunberg

✔@GretaThunberg

One second they declare a #ClimateEmergency and the next second they say yes to expand a pipeline.

This is shameful.
But of course this is not only in Canada, we can unfortunately see the same pattern everywhere...https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-48641293 …

Asked about that tweet, Trudeau said, “We have a national climate plan that will reduce our emissions and hit our 2030 targets in a way that also includes getting a better price for our oil resources that allows us to put the profits directly into the fight against climate change.”

Trudeau also participated in a climate strike today in Montreal but the response from other protesters was mixed. One protester tried to throw eggs at the Prime Minister and was tackled by security:

A commotion broke out during a climate change strike in Montreal after a man reportedly attempted to lob eggs at Liberal Party Leader Justin Trudeau…

Global News has confirmed that the man in had eggs in his hands. RCMP has since confirmed one man was arrested.

I don’t support protesters throwing things at people. I didn’t like the milk-shaking fad on the left and throwing eggs isn’t any better. In the report below, you’ll see some video of the incident. The reporter who was on the scene said that even before the egging she heard a protester calling Trudeau a “climate criminal.” None of this seems great but no doubt Trudeau would much rather talk about being egged or disappointing Thunberg than about blackface.
Need to lose some weight? Eliminate your individual dependence on fossil fuels from your life and all the products that are brought to you by fossil fuels. But don't expect AOC or GT to do the same.

11 Tons Of Water And "Special Container" Used To Extinguish Burning Tesla In Austria

by Tyler Durden
Sat, 10/05/2019 - 21:11
SHARES
TwitterFacebookRedditEmailPrint

It was just days ago that we reported that the NHTSA was opening an inquiry into the use of Tesla's "Smart Summon" feature. Then, just hours ago we followed up by reporting that a petition had been filed with the NHTSA claiming that Tesla was using over the air software updates to cover up dangerous battery issues.

Today, we offer a stark reminder that just because the NHTSA has started to perk up its ears, doesn't mean that Teslas haven't stopped going up in flames all over the world. The most recent example comes from Austria, where after a Tesla was involved in an accident and caught fire, firefighters had to use a special container to transport the remains of the vehicle and the battery.

fire%207.png

According to a translated version of this ORF News story, a 57 year old driver lost control of his Tesla and crashed into a tree, after first hitting the guardrail. It was then that the vehicle caught fire.

fire%201_0.png

The driver was lucky, as "people passing by the scene of the accident took the man out of the vehicle and called emergency services."

In order to put out the fire, the street had to be closed and fire authorities had to bring in a container user to cool the vehicle. The container held 11,000 liters (11 tons) of water and was designed to eliminate the biggest risk in an EV accident which is the battery catching fire.

fire%202.png

The Tesla battery is mounted on the underside of the vehicle and contains acids and chemicals that can easily escape during a fire, placing the firefighters in danger.

Here is the problem: according to the article, some 11,000 liters of water are needed to finally extinguish a burning Tesla but an average fire engine only carries around 2,000 liters of water.

fire%203.png

Fire brigade spokesman Peter Hölzl warned that the car could still catch fire for up to three days after the initial fire.

fire%204.png

The container used is said to be suitable for all common electric vehicles. It measures 6.8 meters long, 2.4 meters wide and 1.5 meters high, it is (obviously) waterproof and weighs three tons.

fire%205.png

fire%206.png

11 Tons Of Water And "Special Container" Used To Extinguish Burning Tesla In Austria

by Tyler Durden
Sat, 10/05/2019 - 21:11
SHARES
TwitterFacebookRedditEmailPrint

It was just days ago that we reported that the NHTSA was opening an inquiry into the use of Tesla's "Smart Summon" feature. Then, just hours ago we followed up by reporting that a petition had been filed with the NHTSA claiming that Tesla was using over the air software updates to cover up dangerous battery issues.

Today, we offer a stark reminder that just because the NHTSA has started to perk up its ears, doesn't mean that Teslas haven't stopped going up in flames all over the world. The most recent example comes from Austria, where after a Tesla was involved in an accident and caught fire, firefighters had to use a special container to transport the remains of the vehicle and the battery.

fire%207.png

According to a translated version of this ORF News story, a 57 year old driver lost control of his Tesla and crashed into a tree, after first hitting the guardrail. It was then that the vehicle caught fire.

fire%201_0.png

The driver was lucky, as "people passing by the scene of the accident took the man out of the vehicle and called emergency services."

In order to put out the fire, the street had to be closed and fire authorities had to bring in a container user to cool the vehicle. The container held 11,000 liters (11 tons) of water and was designed to eliminate the biggest risk in an EV accident which is the battery catching fire.

fire%202.png

The Tesla battery is mounted on the underside of the vehicle and contains acids and chemicals that can easily escape during a fire, placing the firefighters in danger.

Here is the problem: according to the article, some 11,000 liters of water are needed to finally extinguish a burning Tesla but an average fire engine only carries around 2,000 liters of water.

fire%203.png

Fire brigade spokesman Peter Hölzl warned that the car could still catch fire for up to three days after the initial fire.

fire%204.png

The container used is said to be suitable for all common electric vehicles. It measures 6.8 meters long, 2.4 meters wide and 1.5 meters high, it is (obviously) waterproof and weighs three tons.

fire%205.png

fire%206.png

Toxic Tesla.
So uncool.

Let me guess... you know the guy who invented it.

Nope, but I have had one and helped put out another, besides the unknown number I have seen at a distance.

One time, after the 2003 brushfire wiped out a large part of San Diego County, I was driving the kids up into the hills to look over the damage. We stopped behind an old pickup truck as a light on Scripps Poway Parkway, and when the light turned green, it didn't go. The driver jumped out and popped up the hood and started beating on a carburetor fire with his down vest. Bad idea - every time the nylon shell of the vest hit the fire, it just melted away, and all he was doing was producing a cloud of feathers about his head. By the time he ran back to ask for help, I already had loosened the bunjie cords holding a fire extinguisher on the door side of my driver seat, so I handed it to him. He used up the whole bottle, but he got the fire out. Then we pushed his car onto a side street.

Nope, but I have had one and helped put out another, besides the unknown number I have seen at a distance.

One time, after the 2003 brushfire wiped out a large part of San Diego County, I was driving the kids up into the hills to look over the damage. We stopped behind an old pickup truck as a light on Scripps Poway Parkway, and when the light turned green, it didn't go. The driver jumped out and popped up the hood and started beating on a carburetor fire with his down vest. Bad idea - every time the nylon shell of the vest hit the fire, it just melted away, and all he was doing was producing a cloud of feathers about his head. By the time he ran back to ask for help, I already had loosened the bunjie cords holding a fire extinguisher on the door side of my driver seat, so I handed it to him. He used up the whole bottle, but he got the fire out. Then we pushed his car onto a side street.
Buddies dads Thunderbird on the 5 coming back from surfing up north. Heard a loud pop, hood popped up, black smoke started billowing out, pulled over and watched it burn. The smoke shut down the south bound for a bit . . . got the gear out, surfboards fine, wetsuits smelled like burnt rubber as they had gotten heated up a bit.

According to Brulle's research, the 91 think tanks and advocacy organizations and trade associations that make up the American climate denial industry pull down just shy of a billion dollars each year, money used to lobby or sway public opinion on climate change and other issues.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...enial-movement-180948204/#FKq6ZoGhMfYygQtQ.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
3% sway. Waste of money in my opinion. Just get the 97% to stop using fossil fuels and all will be green. Isn’t that what happens on skid row?

My own engine fire occurred in a 10-year-old VW Beetle. As I returned to my car after a day of sailing and general debauchery, I noticed a small puddle of liquid under the engine. "Hmmm - I'll have to look into that tomorrow."

On the way home, I stopped to make a left turn at the last light before my house. After the light turned green, I noticed the car didn't have much power. Then I saw flames in the rear view mirror. The car had enough energy left so that I was able to coast to the curb, whereupon I started yanking out all the things in the car that I didn't want to burn up - my tool box, my sailing gear, all the papers and stuff in the glove compartment. Just at that moment a SD Sheriff cruiser pulled up. The Deputy put the fire out with his extinguisher and twisted shut the leaky gasoline line.

If he had been a few minutes later, the car would have been totaled and the insurance company would have bought the hulk from me. As it was, the repair costs were slightly above my deductible, and the car never ran quite the same again.

Not only that, the engine cover had a distinctive burn scar in the paint. I made it a hobby for a while to count up all the VW Bugs and Vans I saw with similar markings.

According to Brulle's research, the 91 think tanks and advocacy organizations and trade associations that make up the American climate denial industry pull down just shy of a billion dollars each year, money used to lobby or sway public opinion on climate change and other issues.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...enial-movement-180948204/#FKq6ZoGhMfYygQtQ.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
Wow! Only $12!!

QUOTE="espola, post: 292245, member: 3"

Nope, but I have had one and helped put out another,
besides the unknown number I have seen at a distance.

One time, after the 2003 brushfire wiped out a large part of San Diego County,
I was driving the kids up into the hills to look over the damage.
We stopped behind an old pickup truck as a light on Scripps Poway Parkway,
and when the light turned green, it didn't go.
The driver jumped out and popped up the hood and started beating on a
carburetor fire with his down vest.
Bad idea - every time the nylon shell of the vest hit the fire, it just melted
away, and all he was doing was producing a cloud of feathers about his head.
By the time he ran back to ask for help, I already had loosened the bunjie cords
holding a fire extinguisher on the door side of my driver seat, so I handed it to him.
He used up the whole bottle, but he got the fire out.
Then we pushed his car onto a side street.

/QUOTE

This is what I see you doing at a Fire.....

BlissfulHotArabianoryx-max-1mb.gif

Back