Clarification on CalSouth Rule & Clubs Marketing Tryouts

marioz

BRONZE
So I have a 2010 son, and have seen numerous clubs marketing their tryouts, including 2011 birth year players. Most clubs have indicated that there can not be a "pure" 2011 team playing for 2018-2019 season, but that they can "play up" as part of a 2010(b) team under SCDSL.

Then I saw somewhere (FB Messageboard) that the registrar for SCDSL said these clubs were wrong and that absolutely no 2011 players will be allowed to participate in club games per CalSouth rules.

Without getting into arguments over what is appropriate age to start club, I'm just wanting to know what is the ABSOLUTE rule. It would be important to know because my son could be affected if got an invite to a team misinterpreting the rule, and it turns out a team is not formed (after having to turn away any 2011 players). Thank you.

So I have a 2010 son, and have seen numerous clubs marketing their tryouts, including 2011 birth year players. Most clubs have indicated that there can not be a "pure" 2011 team playing for 2018-2019 season, but that they can "play up" as part of a 2010(b) team under SCDSL.

Then I saw somewhere (FB Messageboard) that the registrar for SCDSL said these clubs were wrong and that absolutely no 2011 players will be allowed to participate in club games per CalSouth rules.

Without getting into arguments over what is appropriate age to start club, I'm just wanting to know what is the ABSOLUTE rule. It would be important to know because my son could be affected if got an invite to a team misinterpreting the rule, and it turns out a team is not formed (after having to turn away any 2011 players). Thank you.

There was 2011 players that were playing up on 2010 teams this past season and those are the only 2011 players that will be grandfathered in and allowed to continue on their 2010 teams. They must have been added and submitted to cal south this last December to retain eligibility. That had to have played the full league season. Not added after tryouts after league was over. cal south said it was less than 1% of the 2010 age group. So basically applies to like 10 players or less. Otherwise all 2011s have to wait till January 1, 2019 to play club

There was 2011 players that were playing up on 2010 teams this past season and those are the only 2011 players that will be grandfathered in and allowed to continue on their 2010 teams. They must have been added and submitted to cal south this last December to retain eligibility. That had to have played the full league season. Not added after tryouts after league was over. cal south said it was less than 1% of the 2010 age group. So basically applies to like 10 players or less. Otherwise all 2011s have to wait till January 1, 2019 to play club

Thank you! Had no clue 2011 players could even play up this past season. Wow. Club my son was going to play on has mix of 2010/2011 players. They are saying they will have final talks with CalSouth this weekend, and go from there. Hopefully, the roster can be filled with more 2010 players.

Adults are good at making rules so that kids can't play.
No rules that stop kids from playing. Just rules stopping them from playing competitive soccer for a Cal South team at age 6-7.

But, adults do make value judgments about what kids (and adults) can do at various times, like drinking, smoking, driving, blanking. Is this really new to you?

This is a US Soccer to US Youth Soccer to Cal South mandate, which is "competitive" soccer for the 6-7 age range is to be abolished because the negatives outweigh the positives. These kids can still play soccer, but their time will be spent on the local pitch having fun, rather than traveling a few hours in a car going to matches where the only people keeping score are the adults.

This is a US Soccer to US Youth Soccer to Cal South mandate, which is "competitive" soccer for the 6-7 age range is to be abolished because the negatives outweigh the positives. These kids can still play soccer, but their time will be spent on the local pitch having fun, rather than traveling a few hours in a car going to matches where the only people keeping score are the adults.

Agree. Just confused why so many clubs inviting 2011 players for tryouts.

Agree. Just confused why so many clubs inviting 2011 players for tryouts.

There are plenty of leagues out there for them to play in. It just won't be a league sanctioned by Cal South. My son started at the age of 5 in a local Hispanic league and it was great! Actually better than SCDSL or Coast in my opinion.

Back