Clarification on CalSouth Rule & Clubs Marketing Tryouts

marioz

BRONZE
So I have a 2010 son, and have seen numerous clubs marketing their tryouts, including 2011 birth year players. Most clubs have indicated that there can not be a "pure" 2011 team playing for 2018-2019 season, but that they can "play up" as part of a 2010(b) team under SCDSL.

Then I saw somewhere (FB Messageboard) that the registrar for SCDSL said these clubs were wrong and that absolutely no 2011 players will be allowed to participate in club games per CalSouth rules.

Without getting into arguments over what is appropriate age to start club, I'm just wanting to know what is the ABSOLUTE rule. It would be important to know because my son could be affected if got an invite to a team misinterpreting the rule, and it turns out a team is not formed (after having to turn away any 2011 players). Thank you.

Call Cal South. They will answer questions like this better than any forum member. 714-778-2972

Call Cal South. They will answer questions like this better than any forum member. 714-778-2972
Thanks Frank! I actually did call several days ago, and was told to email. Did that right away, and still silent on the question after 3 days. Figured I'd post here. I'll probably call them again next week if I get no response. I'm guessing a lot of pressure by clubs to allow 2011s in.

Thanks Frank! I actually did call several days ago, and was told to email. Did that right away, and still silent on the question after 3 days. Figured I'd post here. I'll probably call them again next week if I get no response. I'm guessing a lot of pressure by clubs to allow 2011s in.
Also may want to take a look at how they handled 2010s this year. I imagine it is the same policy year to year.

This came up earlier this year for the 2017-2018 Season. The email Cal South sent out was copied here: http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/cal-south-minimum-age-for-competitive-players.1654/

I'm thinking they laxed the ruling for this season as my 2010 certainly played this year (Presidio League and several tournaments), and there was a SCDSL 2009b age group where 2010 birth year kids played. They are not allowing 2010 teams to play up an age in State Cup though. I don't know what the rule will be for the upcoming 2018-2019 season. Clubs are definitely holding tryouts for 2011s.

This came up earlier this year for the 2017-2018 Season. The email Cal South sent out was copied here: http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/cal-south-minimum-age-for-competitive-players.1654/

I'm thinking they laxed the ruling for this season as my 2010 certainly played this year (Presidio League and several tournaments), and there was a SCDSL 2009b age group where 2010 birth year kids played. They are not allowing 2010 teams to play up an age in State Cup though. I don't know what the rule will be for the upcoming 2018-2019 season. Clubs are definitely holding tryouts for 2011s.

Thanks! I was aware of the 2009b, and allowing 2010 players this past year. I heard back from CalSouth, and their reply was NO 2011 players may play at competitive/club level. However, they have several posted tournaments for 2018 where they are accepting U-8 teams. http://www.calsouth.com/en/tournaments/ Notified a club of this, and they stated they got a different response from another CalSouth rep, but they are going to clarify all this in january during some board meeting with CalSouth.

I'm also interested to know what cal south will do with the 2011s. Fortunately, we have futsal program in the area and I feel its a better option than the 4 v 4 with no goalies.

Back