Cerritos Memorial Challenge Cup

Disclaimer: I don't know the young lady, her dad, or her family.

@chargerfan - You were wrong to bring up this girl's name in multiple threads. And now after your "apology" you mock the family and the IG account with phony hashtags. I wonder what your motivation is behind posting this? Would you care to share? Concern for the girl? If so, why? Trying to caution other parents? If so, why? I'm genuinely interested.

Like I said, I don't know the girl or her family, but I have a daughter who I believe is a special athlete and plays at a high level. I'm 100% aware of things like puberty, and losing interest, etc. I'm not penciling her in for the USWNT. But as a parent when I see my child has been gifted with athletic talent that 99% of the girls I see out on the field don't have then I feel it's my responsibility as a parent to help her realize her potential.

I've seen the young lady that's been discussed in this thread. She's a great athlete that still has a lot to learn in terms of playing soccer, but like my daughter, is physically gifted. What should the family do? Not celebrate her accomplishments? Not get her extra training? Should they just sign her up for AYSO because, "Hey, she probably won't make USWNT and people on an online forum find it distasteful!"

All I read is speculation. None of you have bothered to talk with her dad. None of you have played on her team. None of you know her relationship with her family.

If a girl from Las Vegas plays in the SoCal league, why do you care? If she played Flight 3 would you care? I doubt it. Do you feel that you or your child is being cheated in some way?

Personally I welcome this young lady this our region. Our circuit is among the strongest in the nation for youth soccer. Take a look at the youth and national team rosters. There are always 3-6 girls/women selected from this region, far in excess of anywhere else in the country. She is helping making the competition in the region better and as a result making your daughters better when she plays against them.

I never brought up her name. In fact, if you look on a couple of other threads, others have mocked this parent-run IG page promoting this girl. Like I said, if the parents want to put her name and face out there on a public profile with a million hashtags for the purpose of garnering attention and popularity, I can't feel too bad about discussing it (without giving the girl's name or even the IG address) on a public forum. If her parents are publicly marketing her on social media, do they really expect people not to talk about it? However, I do apologize for linking this IG page with the girl that was being discussed, because I do think this child should be left alone to enjoy her childhood.

I mainly brought it up out of disbelief that an elementary school student is crossing state lines to play soccer. If she still has a lot to learn about soccer, as you say, I don't understand having her make that sacrifice.

My daughter is older, so I doubt I will ever see this girl play. Her path truly doesn't affect me, but I think there is an interesting conversation to be had regarding how much we parents should be sacrificing, and having our children sacrifice, just for soccer. I also think there's a conversation to be had regarding the propriety of marketing a young child.

At the end of the day, to each their own? That lifestyle certainly isn't for us, but I wish that little girl the best.

Remove the girl and talk of the girl. Forget about it for a second.
No emotion do we all actually want to start saying an Instagram and highlight reels are socal soccer at 10? I KNOW we are all alphas but are we going to this? I think that's a very slippery slope. It's a hypothetical argument take the children out of it and imagine yourself.
For me I have heard so much about Instagram, privacy, limiting her (as in my daughter) social media presence, recruiting and the need to limit the social media that I am genuinely interested.

Pss full disclosure here: my DD has been featured on OTHER people's accounts and also has several friends who have casually made appearances. However the "marketing account" is not one I have seen.
Even in the most talented of cases at our age group the instagram and twitter is set to private although they are featured on other people's pages.
It just gets me thinking- websites? Etc?? Is it useful? Is it helpful? Does it get endorsements or calls or product? Does it allow coaches to see you?

I have several friends who have children who model and they use it to "get swag" but I haven't seen this in youth sports.

I never brought up her name. In fact, if you look on a couple of other threads, others have mocked this parent-run IG page promoting this girl. Like I said, if the parents want to put her name and face out there on a public profile with a million hashtags for the purpose of garnering attention and popularity, I can't feel too bad about discussing it (without giving the girl's name or even the IG address) on a public forum. If her parents are publicly marketing her on social media, do they really expect people not to talk about it? However, I do apologize for linking this IG page with the girl that was being discussed, because I do think this child should be left alone to enjoy her childhood.

I mainly brought it up out of disbelief that an elementary school student is crossing state lines to play soccer. If she still has a lot to learn about soccer, as you say, I don't understand having her make that sacrifice.

My daughter is older, so I doubt I will ever see this girl play. Her path truly doesn't affect me, but I think there is an interesting conversation to be had regarding how much we parents should be sacrificing, and having our children sacrifice, just for soccer. I also think there's a conversation to be had regarding the propriety of marketing a young child.

At the end of the day, to each their own? That lifestyle certainly isn't for us, but I wish that little girl the best.

You keeep repeating the same thing over and over about her instagram account, why do you care so much? I don't know what hole you live in, but it's very common with young elite athletes. Do some research. Also, nobody promoted or marketed her page, you're the one who went searching for it. For whatever reason you have a lot of interest in this girl and her family. You along with your buddies alphaomega and striker17 have posted several times about her. Move on!

You keeep repeating the same thing over and over about her instagram account, why do you care so much? I don't know what hole you live in, but it's very common with young elite athletes. Do some research. Also, nobody promoted or marketed her page, you're the one who went searching for it. For whatever reason you have a lot of interest in this girl and her family. You along with your buddies alphaomega and striker17 have posted several times about her. Move on!

It was a philosophical discussion you are the one who keeps discussing whoever this "her" is.
I could care less about "her".
And no- ten year olds don't so spare me

I know girls on the YNT and girls who are nationally ranked dancers, and none of them have parent-run marketing accounts like this. I have already said I ran across her page at least a year ago when scrolling though my daughter's followers to monitor who is associating with online. I forgot about it until a couple posters recently brought it back up. If you look at the page, it is CLEARLY promoting her as some sort of special youth athlete. It's something I have only seen with child celebrities - parents running it, but then pretending it is their child running it when it is obvious it is not.

I don't have much interest. I'm sure the girl is a pretty good player, just like many, many other girls in this country. I just think it's funny to be honest - parents curating their child's social media page

Not in order
1 Galaxy SB Elite
2 Albion
3 Legends (Chino)
4 Blues
5 Beach -Perez
6 San Diego Surf
7 strikers
8 Slammers -Salazar
9. ?
10. ?

In my opinion.

Top ten....not in order

Surf A
Surf B
Blues
Beach Perez
Albion
Legends
LA Galaxy SB
Slammers - Bull
Anaheim Surf - I will include but I hate cheaters - on or off the field
Eagles

I only have an elite 6, and think any of them could beat each other from game to game. In no particular order and with what I think are the results against the other 6 so far):

1) Legends (2 tournaments: lost to LAGSB, and to Albion in pk's)
2) LAGSB (2 tournaments: lost to Blues and Legends)
3) Blues (2 tournaments: no losses yet)
4) Beach (2 tournaments: lost to Blues 2x)
5) SD Surf (1 tournament: lost to Blues)
6) Albion (1 tournament: lost to Blues)

I think there are some other really good teams that shouldn't be dismissed (Slammers, Strikers North, SD Surf B, WCFC, Eagles, etc), but these 6 are my early elite teams. Btw, I excluded Anaheim because I haven't seen them play and they avoided all three of the first big tournaments...but who knows, they could still be elite.

Top ten....not in order

Surf A
Surf B
Blues
Beach Perez
Albion
Legends
LA Galaxy SB
Slammers - Bull
Anaheim Surf - I will include but I hate cheaters - on or off the field
Eagles

I agree about AS. But I think they won't be as strong since a lot of players left that team.

I only have an elite 6, and think any of them could beat each other from game to game. In no particular order and with what I think are the results against the other 6 so far):

1) Legends (2 tournaments: lost to LAGSB, and to Albion in pk's)
2) LAGSB (2 tournaments: lost to Blues and Legends)
3) Blues (2 tournaments: no losses yet)
4) Beach (2 tournaments: lost to Blues 2x)
5) SD Surf (1 tournament: lost to Blues)
6) Albion (1 tournament: lost to Blues)

I think there are some other really good teams that shouldn't be dismissed (Slammers, Strikers North, SD Surf B, WCFC, Eagles, etc), but these 6 are my early elite teams. Btw, I excluded Anaheim because I haven't seen them play and they avoided all three of the first big tournaments...but who knows, they could still be elite.
I totally agree with your top six. It seems like Blues is the team to beat.

Back