Calsouth state cup venue for youngers-especially Galway Downs

I'm more bothered by Sunday afternoon games on Super Bowl Sunday. :(

I recall Celtic Cup many years ago when we offered a 4PM consolation game on Super Bowl Sunday to satisfy the promised 4-game minimum. Leaders of both teams got together and decided to head home instead.

Just looked at the venues for Youngers. Rather disappointed with the posting of the Galway Down info. Wondered if Calsouth ever thought of the soccer parents and their expenses. Maybe the fields are better at Galway or maybe there were "special incentives", but did Calsouth forget that it is the youngers playing. $500 to rent RV without food- yeah right!
I know as well as some of the other parents on this team, would have rather been scheduled at SoCal or Norco, at least the expenses would have been about the same for the last two years, not $200 more--just for the hotel. Just for the ones who think I am just bitching, our family usually spends about $300-350 for the last few times.

Just wanted to know what happened to the other venues which were usually used like San Bernardino, Victorville, Camarillo, etc? Or by the looks of locations-are we catering to OC and San Diego clubs only, or Calsouth which is located in OC-Placentia?

Galway Downs is not close for all San Diego families. It is only close for families in northeast San Diego. I have to referee there and from my house in southeast San Diego to the Galway fields is a minimum of a 90 minute drive. It is better than driving to Lancaster or Apple Valley.

Galway Downs is not close for all San Diego families. It is only close for families in northeast San Diego. I have to referee there and from my house in southeast San Diego to the Galway fields is a minimum of a 90 minute drive. It is better than driving to Lancaster or Apple Valley.

We come from Mt. Helix and I don't mind the drive to Galway. I think its worth it for the quality of the fields. Parking can be a little slow and far from the fields, and Galway staff can be a little salty, but otherwise I think its a solid venue. They did serve beer at the Murrieta Surf tournament if you were willing to wait in line for awhile. Hopefully there will be more concessions at the state cup than the limited options at the Murrieta Surf tourney. Just wish we didn't have an 8 am game Saturday.

The other "unique" problem for facilities is the new goal size 6.5' x 18.5' for the youngers. Its my understanding that Galway Downs is purchasing 20 sets of "premium" goals (4" round) and won't be using the temporary 2" pipes that bend in the middle. At $3k per set, its an expensive proposition. But, its Galway Downs and they don't do things half-assed.[/QUOTE]
A few half assed exceptions at Galway. One being the parking. If they don’t at least chalk parking spot lines this year, I may pull in the exit and ‘skip’ the parking fee.

We come from Mt. Helix and I don't mind the drive to Galway. I think its worth it for the quality of the fields. Parking can be a little slow and far from the fields, and Galway staff can be a little salty, but otherwise I think its a solid venue. They did serve beer at the Murrieta Surf tournament if you were willing to wait in line for awhile. Hopefully there will be more concessions at the state cup than the limited options at the Murrieta Surf tourney. Just wish we didn't have an 8 am game Saturday.

This will be my first time there. Maybe I can grab a beer after refereeing and make my daughter drive home. Any advice on where to park and getting in and out of the venue.

I am on the south side of Mt Helix.

This will be my first time there. Maybe I can grab a beer after refereeing and make my daughter drive home. Any advice on where to park and getting in and out of the venue.

I am on the south side of Mt Helix.

At the Surf tournament I noticed that they had separate parking lot for refs, which I assume was no charge, but I don't know for sure. I believe you will be pretty close to the fields that are outside the racetrack. If you have games on the infield of the track you might have a bit of a walk. Take this with a grain of salt because I only saw the turnoff for ref parking and didn't see the actual lot. The ingress and egress from the general admission lot can get backed up but I would think you would be OK in the ref lot. Plenty of strip mall food options within a few miles. Good luck.

Do they charge referees for parking?
When you pull up, say you are a ref and don't pay. If they try to make you, get on the top secret ref messaging system and set up a boycott of Galway. Once a few games get cancelled, they may reconsider. Refs should not have to pay for parking.

All State Cup venues DO NOT charge referees for parking, which includes Del Mar to Galway to Silverlakes to Lancaster. Have your USSF ID and/or be in your referee attire.

Back