Cal... What happened?

Great point. But I have a question for you. Around 5-6 years ago there was a young lady named Ryan Walker-Hartshorn from Oakland that went to Stanford. She had youth national team experience and was the California Gatorade player of the year. After she got to Stanford, I didn’t hear much about her. My fear about Stanford & UCLA is that the coaches only want trophies and put the team over the development of their players.
On the other hand, I look at Cal as putting the development of their players over the team and winning trophies.
So, do you think there’s much development going on at Stanford and UCLA or is it all about winning trophies?

I had to laugh at this one. Do you really think coaches at Cal is thinking, “let’s not worry about winning, but let’s just focus on individual development, but coaches at Stanford and UCLA have no interest in making their players better individually? I mean you do realize those things go hand in hand right? I can’t speak for UCLA, but I know how much time Stanford coaches spend with their players individually, especially in winter and spring quarters to work on their individual game, which leads to them being able to play the way they play on the field together. Most of their players are very talented players no doubt, but most of them don’t come from good soccer environment. Heck, our YNT plays terrible soccer so they do a ton of work both individually and as a whole to be able to play the way they play. You can’t just put bunch of random talented players and expect them to play well. Again, look at our youth national teams. Even when they play against lesser teams, they just kick and run

I had to laugh at this one. Do you really think coaches at Cal is thinking, “let’s not worry about winning, but let’s just focus on individual development, but coaches at Stanford and UCLA have no interest in making their players better individually? I mean you do realize those things go hand in hand right? I can’t speak for UCLA, but I know how much time Stanford coaches spend with their players individually, especially in winter and spring quarters to work on their individual game, which leads to them being able to play the way they play on the field together. Most of their players are very talented players no doubt, but most of them don’t come from good soccer environment. Heck, our YNT plays terrible soccer so they do a ton of work both individually and as a whole to be able to play the way they play. You can’t just put bunch of random talented players and expect them to play well. Again, look at our youth national teams. Even when they play against lesser teams, they just kick and run
I don’t know to be honest. I’m simply trying to explore all of the possibilities of why things are the way they are. I don’t have a soccer background and my daughter has never played on a “club” team in the USA.
Thanks for the info

Great point. But I have a question for you. Around 5-6 years ago there was a young lady named Ryan Walker-Hartshorn from Oakland that went to Stanford. She had youth national team experience and was the California Gatorade player of the year. After she got to Stanford, I didn’t hear much about her. My fear about Stanford & UCLA is that the coaches only want trophies and put the team over the development of their players.
On the other hand, I look at Cal as putting the development of their players over the team and winning trophies.
So, do you think there’s much development going on at Stanford and UCLA or is it all about winning trophies?

Ryan was my daughter’s host on her recruiting trip to Stanford. She is a great young lady and if I remember correctly a couple of her family members were Stanford alums. Stanford and UCLA get so much talent that not being a consistent starter doesn’t mean that you aren’t a great player. Those teams just get some unique talent. Regarding development honestly you aren’t going to see two teams that do more to develop professional and international players than Stanford and UCLA. Put simply the style of play for the US youth national teams on the women’s side is crap compared to those schools and that is coming from the players. If either of those head coaches were in charge of the USWNT we would have a much better chance of winning the World Cup. I know that Paul doesn’t want the job as he turned it down once already.

When it comes to women’s soccer Cal does little to develop talent and definitely underachieves. The only reason why they have done as well as they have is because of how good the school is and the amount of talent that it naturally attracts. Give Wazzu’s coach that lineup and they would make the final 8 and they would at a minimum be in the sweet 16 every year like the other California PAC 12 schools.

At least you get a world class education there.

Ryan was my daughter’s host on her recruiting trip to Stanford. She is a great young lady and if I remember correctly a couple of her family members were Stanford alums. Stanford and UCLA get so much talent that not being a consistent starter doesn’t mean that you aren’t a great player. Those teams just get some unique talent. Regarding development honestly you aren’t going to see two teams that do more to develop professional and international players than Stanford and UCLA. Put simply the style of play for the US youth national teams on the women’s side is crap compared to those schools and that is coming from the players. If either of those head coaches were in charge of the USWNT we would have a much better chance of winning the World Cup. I know that Paul doesn’t want the job as he turned it down once already.

When it comes to women’s soccer Cal does little to develop talent and definitely underachieves. The only reason why they have done as well as they have is because of how good the school is and the amount of talent that it naturally attracts. Give Wazzu’s coach that lineup and they would make the final 8 and they would at a minimum be in the sweet 16 every year like the other California PAC 12 schools.

At least you get a world class education there.
In the end that's whats most important the education.

Yes.

He’s not taking middle of the pack players and turning them into pros. He’s getting highly rated players, producing middle of the pack teams, and then those players move on to the pros.

And anyways he isn’t paid to develop players. Cal doesn’t make money if the women go pro. He’s paid to win. If developing players helps to that end then cool. But he’s not hired to make pros.

Lol. Yeah What a crazy concept. Go to college to develop the skills that will prepare you for your adult life.

Where did it all go wrong?

It's funny that on social media Cal touts all their alums playing pro. I'm not sure I'd be quite so boisterous about that. You have tons of pros coming from your program, yet you can't win a thing while at Cal. What does that say?

Neil has never won a second round NCAA game....ever. Even with Alex Morgan on the roster. Let that sink in. It's not a player issue. They've had ridiculous recruiting classes for years. Never come close to a pac 12 title and never won 2 consecutive games in the NCAA's. I mean.......

I wonder if Morgan's parents are devastated about how Alex's development played out?

I wonder if Morgan's parents are devastated about how Alex's development played out?

So you pick a unicorn to generalize about an entire program? That is pretty disingenuous. It is a great school and she met her husband there so I am sure that she is happy about her choices but make no mistake about it she is a very one dimensional striker that would have benefited had she played for a couple of the other teams.

My point was if you have that kind of talent on your roster I'd think you could win more than Neil did. She's a stud and was a stud pre-Cal, during Cal and obviously post Cal. Give any other school on the west coast Alex Morgan and I guarantee you they are winning more than one NCAA game. He didn't That's the point.

And she worked her butt off after college to take her game to the next level. Cal actually didn't help her that much. She became world class after Cal.

So you pick a unicorn to generalize about an entire program? That is pretty disingenuous. It is a great school and she met her husband there so I am sure that she is happy about her choices but make no mistake about it she is a very one dimensional striker that would have benefited had she played for a couple of the other teams.

I'm pretty sure I didn't pick her. I haven't made any comments about her play and what's to say she would have been better adding more dimensions or experiencing another program? You don't know that and neither do I. You don't have to play expert on every post.

I'm pretty sure I didn't pick her. I haven't made any comments about her play and what's to say she would have been better adding more dimensions or experiencing another program? You don't know that and neither do I. You don't have to play expert on every post.

Ha ha you are funny. You are the douchebag that brought up her parents and the dipshit that thinks that Neil did much to improve her game! She had to go to Europe to become more than just a player that you play over the top. No I am far from an expert but I will bet you the shirt on your fucking back that I have watched more women’s soccer than you have over the last decade dickwad.

It’s always the peckerwoods with the ULittle players that want to talk shit. @Sunil Illuminati when your kid gets into a top school we can debate but until then you are just a pansy with an opinion.

Your kid got into a top school? Really. No one on this forum has heard that before. You drop names like Heidi Fleiss Roll A Dex. You have no idea what I know or have seen. Watching Games doesn’t make you an expert nor does having a kid who played in college. Go and bore someone else.

Couldn’t help it
Have Map on ignore but trying figure out some of the comments that are so blatantly directed at him make me unignore just to see what shit he is spewing. Never ends

I was gonna call out the racial shit but then it got really funny. It’s not my college action thread, so carry on!!!

Back