Cal... What happened?

Supermodel56

SILVER ELITE
Why is Cal women's soccer so bad? Didn't they used to be a powerhouse? What happened?

Just a quick search and academically they tanked to #37 with overall US news ranking at 22... they used to be top 10... yikes!

when your entire class comes from only 3 clubs, and all in your own state, what does that say about your recruiting? i'm sure these girls are good, don't get me wrong, I just find it curious and unusual how limited in scope the recruitment seems. UCLA, FSU, etc. have girls from outside the country, let alone outside their state.
Watched Cal play UCSB last season. I was perplexed how they did not take advantage of their opportunities. They play a good style but it felt they did not have a killer instinct.

Aside from DeAnza what club teams primarily make up the roster?

So is every pac-12 class. You have no idea if any of those girls pan out. The current team has wnt players. Will be interesting to see the preseason schedule.
I agree there is no idea of how it all pans out, but like you said...such as with every class in the PAC 12. We'll see. I'm encouraged by what's coming down the pipe.

It's funny that on social media Cal touts all their alums playing pro. I'm not sure I'd be quite so boisterous about that. You have tons of pros coming from your program, yet you can't win a thing while at Cal. What does that say?

Neil has never won a second round NCAA game....ever. Even with Alex Morgan on the roster. Let that sink in. It's not a player issue. They've had ridiculous recruiting classes for years. Never come close to a pac 12 title and never won 2 consecutive games in the NCAA's. I mean.......

Cal underachieves ever year since I have followed them. With their academic chops there is no way that they shouldn’t make the sweet 16 every year. I can tell you that it was one of 3 schools that my player considered and it was eliminated before we got back to the hotel during that trip and one of the other girls on the trip ended up at Stanford.

Their issues aren’t because of the talent level.....

Watched Cal play UCSB last season. I was perplexed how they did not take advantage of their opportunities. They play a good style but it felt they did not have a killer instinct.

Aside from DeAnza what club teams primarily make up the roster?
San Jose Earthquakes (Luca Deza’s dad is DOC), Lamorinda, and Mustang where Neil also coaches.

It's funny that on social media Cal touts all their alums playing pro. I'm not sure I'd be quite so boisterous about that. You have tons of pros coming from your program, yet you can't win a thing while at Cal. What does that say?

Neil has never won a second round NCAA game....ever. Even with Alex Morgan on the roster. Let that sink in. It's not a player issue. They've had ridiculous recruiting classes for years. Never come close to a pac 12 title and never won 2 consecutive games in the NCAA's. I mean.......
I have heard that in Europe success is measured by how many players are developed into professional team players as opposed to winning trophies. So, maybe his goal is to develop players for USWNT and professional leagues.
Would Neil be a better coach if he won more trophies and placed fewer players on professional rosters?

Incoming recruiting classes for 2020, 2021 and 2022 are super strong and will contend.

For 2021 they have some player coming in from Tophat, Beach, Legends, OC Surf, & Blues.

For 2022 they only have 1 player from OC Surf, the rest of the 2022 may commit around July 2020 due to the new recruitment rule.

I have heard that in Europe success is measured by how many players are developed into professional team players as opposed to winning trophies. So, maybe his goal is to develop players for USWNT and professional leagues.
Would Neil be a better coach if he won more trophies and placed fewer players on professional rosters?

Good point.

From the article he has some talented players for the 2019 class which highlights the #1 Keeper Anderson.

Also read he landed the 2022 #1 Keeper.

Will be interesting to find out next year new commits for 2022, 2023 class.

Yes.

He’s not taking middle of the pack players and turning them into pros. He’s getting highly rated players, producing middle of the pack teams, and then those players move on to the pros.

And anyways he isn’t paid to develop players. Cal doesn’t make money if the women go pro. He’s paid to win. If developing players helps to that end then cool. But he’s not hired to make pros.

Back