Cal South 2004 Player Pool Announced

At the 06 Boys ODP tryouts many of those who were invited did not show because they were DA bound. There were roughly 65-70 boys in attendance. This was significantly less than the number invited out.
The rumor was that Cal South called some of the clubs that have U12 Development Academy teams and lots of 2006 boys on the list (e.g., Total Futbol Academy) and told them to please not bother to have their players attend if they were playing DA so Cal South could focus team selection on those players who would be eligible. Even among the kids who did attend, quite a few are likely to have DA offers, but just hadn't officially gotten word yet because some of the new DA clubs are still in tryouts and decided to come anyway. It's a US Soccer rule that the players cannot do both DA and ODP. Some of those DA or DA-likely kids didn't make the cutdown to 36, though, and I don't think it was because anyone tipped off the coaches that they are going DA. At the youngest age groups, DA isn't necessarily all the best kids either. It's the kids at or near DA clubs or with parents willing to drive far to take them to DA clubs.

The list for the B06 appeared to be a "true" list, in the sense that they included tons of kids from DA clubs and didn't appear to exclude anyone ahead of time from scouting consideration.

I think the impact of DA commitments on this list really varies by club.

1. Some clubs haven't formed DA rosters yet, so there was no impact of DA decisions on ODP selections from their club.
2. Other clubs have already made their DA rosters, but there wasn't any communication with ODP scouts. So, similar to #1, no impact on ODP selections from their club.
3. Finally, you have the clubs that have made their DA rosters and shared that info with the ODP scouts, when they were asked. This would have had the impact of eliminating those players from ODP selection.

Technically, no girls will be "registered" with DA until August, so I suppose players can participate in ODP through the summer camp (seems a bit disingenuous to me).

IMO - this list is a positive reflection on those girls selected, not a negative reflection on the names that aren't there.

The rumor was that Cal South called some of the clubs that have U12 Development Academy teams and lots of 2006 boys on the list (e.g., Total Futbol Academy) and told them to please not bother to have their players attend if they were playing DA so Cal South could focus team selection on those players who would be eligible. Even among the kids who did attend, quite a few are likely to have DA offers, but just hadn't officially gotten word yet because some of the new DA clubs are still in tryouts and decided to come anyway. It's a US Soccer rule that the players cannot do both DA and ODP. Some of those DA or DA-likely kids didn't make the cutdown to 36, though, and I don't think it was because anyone tipped off the coaches that they are going DA. At the youngest age groups, DA isn't necessarily all the best kids either. It's the kids at or near DA clubs or with parents willing to drive far to take them to DA clubs.

The list for the B06 appeared to be a "true" list, in the sense that they included tons of kids from DA clubs and didn't appear to exclude anyone ahead of time from scouting consideration.
Yes, agree with this explanation. The boys that were listed from our club were not DA bound. Which supports your conclusions. So let's take this back to the young ladies who made ODP.

My perspective for what it is worth, which amounts to 2¢. My daughter is an 04 and plays on an ENCL 03 team and made the 04 Regional ODP team last year and is on this year's list (hint: for those internet forum detectives trying to figure out who I am). She has several offers to play DA, which are all sitting idled right now because there is an entire half of the ECNL season remaining and a trip to the FWRs as a member of her 04 team (major hint!). I am writing this to express two personal experiences with ODP. Firstly, I understand personal disagreements with people and organizations (trust me, I work for a large organization that deals with disagreements routinely), but my experience with CalSouth and ODP last year was only positive. I thought it was well run from Day 1, and the planning and time the CalSouth staff worked towards our Az trip was superb. Secondly, As talented as I think my daugther is, and that's a biased opinion of course, DA might not be my cup of tea because the life experiences that are prohibited under DA - ODP being one of them - are major blows to my daughter's LIFE EXPOSURE. One of the first things she said to me when we finally remanded her into our care after the AZ weekend is 'I hope I get selected again next year, this weekend was Awesome!' When she saw the email this week from CalSouth recognizing her a second time, she danced like the little girl who stole the live interview in Australia (if you did not see it, please google it). There are many paths and platforms to college, education being the most critical, and life is short, so I am packing in as many life experiences I can for my little girl. We will be out on the ODP pitch this month. Again, this is a simple man's 2¢.

My perspective for what it is worth, which amounts to 2¢. My daughter is an 04 and plays on an ENCL 03 team and made the 04 Regional ODP team last year and is on this year's list (hint: for those internet forum detectives trying to figure out who I am). She has several offers to play DA, which are all sitting idled right now because there is an entire half of the ECNL season remaining and a trip to the FWRs as a member of her 04 team (major hint!). I am writing this to express two personal experiences with ODP. Firstly, I understand personal disagreements with people and organizations (trust me, I work for a large organization that deals with disagreements routinely), but my experience with CalSouth and ODP last year was only positive. I thought it was well run from Day 1, and the planning and time the CalSouth staff worked towards our Az trip was superb. Secondly, As talented as I think my daugther is, and that's a biased opinion of course, DA might not be my cup of tea because the life experiences that are prohibited under DA - ODP being one of them - are major blows to my daughter's LIFE EXPOSURE. One of the first things she said to me when we finally remanded her into our care after the AZ weekend is 'I hope I get selected again next year, this weekend was Awesome!' When she saw the email this week from CalSouth recognizing her a second time, she danced like the little girl who stole the live interview in Australia (if you did not see it, please google it). There are many paths and platforms to college, education being the most critical, and life is short, so I am packing in as many life experiences I can for my little girl. We will be out on the ODP pitch this month. Again, this is a simple man's 2¢.

wow. that's so cool for you.

Practically speaking:
Why would anyone travel to the lovely state of Arizona to beat a team 20-0?
Sounds like great soccer.

Looking for a life experience? I can think of many more fun and enlightening ones that the clown show in the middle of the desert or in Ventura.

This is not a knock on the kids talent- it's a knock on what a joke Cal South is and now will most certainly be in the future.

Your DD will more than likely be bored this time around as there are well over 20 bench and tier 2 players in this list so again practically speaking sounds like a waste of time soccer wise. Social wise I would agree camp is great fun.

Practically speaking:
Why would anyone travel to the lovely state of Arizona to beat a team 20-0?
Sounds like great soccer.

Looking for a life experience? I can think of many more fun and enlightening ones that the clown show in the middle of the desert or in Ventura.

This is not a knock on the kids talent- it's a knock on what a joke Cal South is and now will most certainly be in the future.

Your DD will more than likely be bored this time around as there are well over 20 bench and tier 2 players in this list so again practically speaking sounds like a waste of time soccer wise. Social wise I would agree camp is great fun.

You, my anonymous, internet forum friend, need a hug.....my hug to you. Let the hate go my brother/sister. Nonetheless, your cynicism is quite entertaining in all the rooms you post in on this forum. Keep posting and I'll keep reading.

All good here.
Again practical.
No hate practical. Was the 20-0 a good show?

Practical. Simple. No feelings my friend.

I know facts around here really upset people. It doesn't fit the dialogue of insanity

Nice! My daughter played with yours in AZ. She had so much fun making friends and finally playing teams from out of state (not the best challenges but many different ones, some states more challenging than others) great experience though it may be her last with ODP due to US Soccer rules for Academy.

Step away from the crack pipe please. Odp well organized.? Lol. Are you insane. My DD participated last year. Her position was centerback. All these idiots did was split everyone up and roll the balls out on the field. They blew the whistle and said play. Ha. Please that's not well organized idiot. No skills testing or running drills. Nothing. Odp and Hoffman are many grabbing jokers.

Nice! My daughter played with yours in AZ. She had so much fun making friends and finally playing teams from out of state (not the best challenges but many different ones, some states more challenging than others) great experience though it may be her last with ODP due to US Soccer rules for Academy.
Which explains why she's on the list again this year (sincerely,congrats to your DD).....will you do the sessions knowing you can't do Regionals?

Step away from the crack pipe please. Odp well organized.? Lol. Are you insane. My DD participated last year. Her position was centerback. All these idiots did was split everyone up and roll the balls out on the field. They blew the whistle and said play. Ha. Please that's not well organized idiot. No skills testing or running drills. Nothing. Odp and Hoffman are many grabbing jokers.

It is amazing the venom people spew at others for disagreeing and/or having a different outlook than theirs while in a world of anonymity. There are good debates on this forum – worth reading, but intertwined are antagonistic individuals like you whom mostly likely are sincere and joyful when not behind the blind walls of the World Wide Web. Mr. Lone Wolf, I am sure your daughter competed well last year at CB and congrats to her for that because it is an experience that will pay dividends no matter how disorganized and technically lacking the process was from your perspective. I don’t smoke a crack pipe, however tempting and euphoric it makes one feel. No sir, I am not an idiot unless it just make you feel better inside, then whatever. I wish the best for daughter and you as well. Regards!

Back