Cal South 2000-2002 Boys and Girls Winter ODP Pool

I find it very interesting that all of the talent on the girls side resides in the same dozen or so clubs at each of the age groups.

I find it very interesting that all of the talent on the girls side resides in the same dozen or so clubs at each of the age groups.

A few possible reasons:

1) Generally, coach action is needed for girls to get a look. Not all coaches take the time to get their players noticed.
2) Some clubs and/or teams discourage participation. Once and offer is made and it is declined, rejected, or the player is not let participate, Cal South does not tend to ask again. Commitment to the program matters.
3) In order to be evaluated, you typically must be seen playing against top competition. If your are not in CRL, SCDSL Flight 1, or CSL Premier, getting a look can be very difficult. The ECNL players on this list tend to have been noticed prior to ECNL age.
4) Mergers and affiliations have reduced the number of clubs, and placed many girls under the same club name, but the teams may be different.
5) Calsouth does a fairly poor job updating the players' clubs. I expect 10-20% of the players listed no longer play for the club listed.

When you factor in the above, it ends up not being so surprising, although it is still interesting.

And one more thing -- these lists have been incomplete in the past. I would bet there are 5-10 girls missing from each age group that will end up invited to training. Wait until the actuall press release gets posted on their site (I do not think it has been).

Congrats to the boys and girls who made it... but come on, this selection process seems like a joke. 11 boys from one team? Other clubs that finish at the very top of SCDL or Coast have no one selected? Really?

Back