Build out line - Ball put into play

Or how about the coaches live by the spirit of the law and hold off the dogs until Junior can get a clean touch on the ball.

I have seen a couple things over the summer in regards to the BOL. I agree with Surfref, I think 99% of the issue is that calsouth should have said to sanction your tournament you need to play with this set of rules for 7v7. Would have made a world of difference to the kids, families, and coaches. Also would have helped the refs because they could have gotten used to the the new rules. I probably had at least a half dozen breakaways whistled because the refs forgot the new BOL is the new offsides(I hate this given they have to learn it is not what will be the rule later on). I am with them, it just looks wrong and not natural for most of the kids. I guess a few years down the line it will be ok but I personally am not a fan.

I think that what is unfortunate is that the new rules are good in spirit but they are getting abused all over. My 2010's were playing in a 09 division and the opposing team every time we had a goal kick or goalie had it, the coach lined 4 of the 6 kids in a wall along the line and yelled "attack" every time. Luckily, my little team has been working all summer on playing out and splits but I watched other games and they just ran teams down. At the ulittles that will be effective 80-90% of the time and it was the way they scored all 3 goals on us. It is not a lot of time to get out but I do think the kids will get better at it. The other thing I saw this weekend had me laughing. A team puts a kid at the top of the box facing his keeper. The keeper passed it to him, he took a touch and passed it back. The keeper first timed it past the half line every time. I just found it funny, not really why the new rule was put in place. :)

I have seen a couple things over the summer in regards to the BOL. I agree with Surfref, I think 99% of the issue is that calsouth should have said to sanction your tournament you need to play with this set of rules for 7v7. Would have made a world of difference to the kids, families, and coaches. Also would have helped the refs because they could have gotten used to the the new rules. I probably had at least a half dozen breakaways whistled because the refs forgot the new BOL is the new offsides(I hate this given they have to learn it is not what will be the rule later on). I am with them, it just looks wrong and not natural for most of the kids. I guess a few years down the line it will be ok but I personally am not a fan.

I think that what is unfortunate is that the new rules are good in spirit but they are getting abused all over. My 2010's were playing in a 09 division and the opposing team every time we had a goal kick or goalie had it, the coach lined 4 of the 6 kids in a wall along the line and yelled "attack" every time. Luckily, my little team has been working all summer on playing out and splits but I watched other games and they just ran teams down. At the ulittles that will be effective 80-90% of the time and it was the way they scored all 3 goals on us. It is not a lot of time to get out but I do think the kids will get better at it. The other thing I saw this weekend had me laughing. A team puts a kid at the top of the box facing his keeper. The keeper passed it to him, he took a touch and passed it back. The keeper first timed it past the half line every time. I just found it funny, not really why the new rule was put in place. :)

Or goalie rolling it out to a back who boots it. Might as well let the goalie punt it at least they get practice doing a skill they will need in the future.

Or goalie rolling it out to a back who boots it. Might as well let the goalie punt it at least they get practice doing a skill they will need in the future.

I worked for a while with two keepers - one who could punt the ball with accuracy almost anywhere in the opponent's end. The other had a hard time getting the ball out of his own PA. We didn't consider changing the rules to level their abilities.

Reactions: Q10
This was happening a lot in Blues Cup, and I saw a few girls take a ball to the face when they charged the defender who would boot it up the field. BOL isn't going to help these ulittles handle pressure if coaches just allow them to do this.

Those same teams would park the team 1 foot outside of the penalty area and try to pounce on a kick that didn't get off of the ground.

The whole team should not press, but the forward/striker should be challenging the defender right? The defender should have enough skill to take on 1v1 and complete a pass or dribble around without haphazardly booting the ball into the air. The BOL isn't eliminating pressure, but controlling it so that 3 or 4 attackers are not swarming a single defender. If properly used you should see 1v1 defender v striker and most will be successful and some may lose the ball...but it will be better soccer.

So, here is how I call it based on the letter of the rule:

1. Teammate outside penalty box, then ball is "played" and BOL can be crossed when it crosses the penalty box area.
2. Teammate inside penalty box, then ball is "played" and BOL can be crossed when teammate touches ball.

Part two of your response is not right. Any free kick by defense in its own box (goal kick, foul by attacker, etc) must leave the box before it can be played. If touched in the box, it is a re-kick.

So, here is how I call it based on the letter of the rule:

1. Teammate outside penalty box, then ball is "played" and BOL can be crossed when it crosses the penalty box area.
2. Teammate inside penalty box, then ball is "played" and BOL can be crossed when teammate touches ball.
<SNIP>

What you stated above doesn't appear to be consistent to what is published by Cal-South here or very clearly written by Presidio League here.

I haven't done any 7v7's this season, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I think it is important to state whether you are talking about a restart of play (goal kick) or a goalkeeper's ball in hand. Both are instances where the opponent has to respect the build out line. It appears that what you are saying is referring to the ball in the keeper's hand.

As I understand the 2 documents linked above:
  • For a goal kick, the ball is in play and the opponent can pass the line when the ball leaves the goal area.
  • For keeper's ball in hand, the opponent can pass the line when the ball leaves the keeper's control by hands. I can see no reason to wait for a team-mate of the goal keeper to touch it or for it to clear the penalty area before they go.

We just went over this at our monthly Referee meeting as its a point of education by Cal South. The Presidio document best describes how it is to be called, so good for Presidio in clarifying the ambiguities. Presidio adopts the Cal South rule, SCDSL and CSL adopt the Cal South rule. In short, gk = ball in play when leaves the penalty area; all others, if GK plays ball or direct/indirect kick from inside penalty area = when leaves GK's hands or is kicked.

At this point, the only conflict is restart on deliberate headers in the penalty and/or goal box with US Soccer's advice differing from the rule adopted by Cal South.

We had one of the best Refs I've seen in awhile in my DD's U8 Presidio game this past weekend. He came over to our coach before the game and verified the coach's understanding of the rule to make sure it lined up with his. I presume he did the same on the other sideline as well. The Ref's understanding of the build out line for 7v7 was spot on too, which was nice as it's been a bit all over the place thus far. As a side note, he also communicated quite a bit with the kids during the game with the goal of education and he gave the girls a couple chances on the touch line if they didn't throw the ball in correctly. All the stuff you like to see in a game at that age.

I heard about the BOL line a few weeks ago and have to say it is a great idea. Overall at the U9 level, teams struggle playing the ball out of the back and every goal kick was a mess. Also, think about the rec teams where every player puts time in goal and half of the team can't boot it far enough.

I recall back when my son played U9 that teams would put players right outside of the box. One mistake by the person taking the free kick and it was pretty much a goal. With the BOL, a bad kick doesn't automatically mean a goal for the other team.

While the enforcement isn't consistent, it is many times better that teams sitting on the edge of the box.

If it helps anyone, I put together an item to help referees in our area. A local representative of CNRA helped with it, by reviewing it. The issue is, in general, all of the separate soccer playing entities, who do not always see things the same way. The same goes for coaches/parents/organization board members. At any rate, here is the item from my site:

http://www.yatahoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Buildout-Line-Referee-Manual2-3.pdf

I could not edit this post, so I will have to add to it. The URL listed is pointing to a document which had some incorrect information. I updated it, and the following is a link to the updated document:
http://www.yatahoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Buildout-Line-Referee-Manual2-May2018.pdf

We had one of the best Refs I've seen in awhile in my DD's U8 Presidio game this past weekend. He came over to our coach before the game and verified the coach's understanding of the rule to make sure it lined up with his. I presume he did the same on the other sideline as well. The Ref's understanding of the build out line for 7v7 was spot on too, which was nice as it's been a bit all over the place thus far. As a side note, he also communicated quite a bit with the kids during the game with the goal of education and he gave the girls a couple chances on the touch line if they didn't throw the ball in correctly. All the stuff you like to see in a game at that age.
What a horrible referee. It's not his job to educate, that's why the coaches yell all the time. Doesn't this referee know this is competitive soccer, not AYSO?

The laws clearly state that a bad throw results in a throw in for the opponent. All this referee is educating on is a lack of knowledge of the laws of the game on throw ins.

Does this referee bring oranges for half time and treats after? Does he say atta boy to the losing team? This is the problem with youth soccer, everyone gets a participation trophy.

Kidding of course, and mocking those that would seriously make such comments.

Back