Build out line - Ball put into play

Hi refs,

Question on the build out line rules.

After the ball is put into play by the goalkeeper, the opposing team can cross the build out line and play resumes as normal.

What is the definition of "ball is put into play by the goalkeeper"? Is it as soon as the ball leaves the keeper's possession? Is it as soon as the ball is received by the field player? Sometimes it could take 2-3 seconds for a ball to roll across the box from the keeper to the field player. I've also seen this called differently by various refs.

Thanks in advance!

This is copy and paste from an email:
When the goalkeeper has the ball in his or her hands during play from the opponent, the opposing team must move behind the build out line until the ball is put into play. Once the opposing team is behind the build out line, the goalkeeper can put the ball on the ground and pass, throw or roll the ball into play (punts and drop kicks are not allowed). After the ball is put into play by the goalkeeper, the opposing team can cross the build out line and play resumes as normal.

My understanding is that as soon as the ball leaves the keeper's hand(s) that it is in play and the opponents can cross the build out line.

This is copy and paste from an email:
When the goalkeeper has the ball in his or her hands during play from the opponent, the opposing team must move behind the build out line until the ball is put into play. Once the opposing team is behind the build out line, the goalkeeper can put the ball on the ground and pass, throw or roll the ball into play (punts and drop kicks are not allowed). After the ball is put into play by the goalkeeper, the opposing team can cross the build out line and play resumes as normal.

My understanding is that as soon as the ball leaves the keeper's hand(s) that it is in play and the opponents can cross the build out line.

From the U-Little games I have watched with the build out line, I don't think that is enough time -- because by the time the ball reaches the defender they usually have already been closed down by the attacker. If the whole point is to teach the U-Littles to build out of the back (give them confidence to do so) you should probably give the defender a little more time with the ball at his/her feet before they are closed down. This is just based off of what I saw -- which were some young boys/girls struggling with possessing the ball after the GK pass due to the immediate pressure.

Curious if the BOL and no GK punts are being enforced in Blues Cup. I didn't see it in the rules like Surf Cup had.

@TangoCity , if it's not a goal kick, then the keeper or defender can get right next to each other before distributing ball, then they should have "enough time" before being pressured.

As a general rule, the "ball is put into play" by a GK during a goal kick situation when it crosses out of the penalty box. At the 7v7 level, the way I call it is stay behind the BOL until the ball is legal to play, which is when it crosses outside the penalty box or touches a teammate (inside the penalty area) of the GK. So, here is how I call it based on the letter of the rule:

1. Teammate outside penalty box, then ball is "played" and BOL can be crossed when it crosses the penalty box area.
2. Teammate inside penalty box, then ball is "played" and BOL can be crossed when teammate touches ball.

If I was king ruler of the rules and assuming the "spirit" of the rule is to encourage "playing out of the back" then I would change it to state that a ball is played by the goalkeeper when a teammate touches the ball.

Curious if the BOL and no GK punts are being enforced in Blues Cup. I didn't see it in the rules like Surf Cup had.

@TangoCity , if it's not a goal kick, then the keeper or defender can get right next to each other before distributing ball, then they should have "enough time" before being pressured.

Copy and paste:
Blues Cup 7 v 7 Rules for the 2010, 2009, 2008 Age Groups
Deliberate heading is NOT allowed in 7 v 7 games for the (2010, 2009 & 2008) birth year games.
If a player deliberately heads the ball in a game, an indirect free kick should be awarded to the opposing team from the spot of the offense. If the deliberate header occurs within the goal area, the indirect free kick should be taken on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the nearest point to where the infringement occurred.
Goals may not be scored directly from kick-off.
There is build out line in 7 v 7 games.
Build out line:
When the goalkeeper has the ball in his or her hands during play from the opponent, the opposing team must move behind the build out line until the ball is put into play
Once the opposing team is behind the build out line, the goalkeeper can pass, throw or roll the ball into play (punts and drop kicks are not allowed).
After the ball is put into play by the goalkeeper, the opposing team can cross the build out line and play resumes as normal.
The opposing team must also move behind the build out line during a goal kick until the ball is put into play.
If a goalkeeper punts or drop kicks the ball, an indirect free kick should be awarded to the opposing team from the spot of the ball landing.

From the U-Little games I have watched with the build out line, I don't think that is enough time -- because by the time the ball reaches the defender they usually have already been closed down by the attacker. If the whole point is to teach the U-Littles to build out of the back (give them confidence to do so) you should probably give the defender a little more time with the ball at his/her feet before they are closed down. This is just based off of what I saw -- which were some young boys/girls struggling with possessing the ball after the GK pass due to the immediate pressure.
The purpose of the rule is to help teach but also require play out of the back. It is not to guarantee that the defense can clear the ball. Essentially, it gives a buffer to assist the defense, something they will not have when they are older. Of course, there will be mis-plays, and advantage to the offense, which is why the rule exists. Without it, too many coaches will teach to just boot it. As teams adjust they will learn to play it wide and back, giving more time before pressure arrives.

I actually think that the keeper should not be able to pass the ball outside the build out line, even if she puts it down and kicks it off the ground.

The purpose of the rule is to help teach but also require play out of the back. It is not to guarantee that the defense can clear the ball. Essentially, it gives a buffer to assist the defense, something they will not have when they are older. Of course, there will be mis-plays, and advantage to the offense, which is why the rule exists. Without it, too many coaches will teach to just boot it. As teams adjust they will learn to play it wide and back, giving more time before pressure arrives.

I actually think that the keeper should not be able to pass the ball outside the build out line, even if she puts it down and kicks it off the ground.

Yeah - I know the rule and why it is there -- I just think that they should be giving ULittles (at least the ones I've seen) a better chance at a successful build from the back on a goal kick. Right now the attackers know exactly what the GK is going to do. In the future the GK will have options and the defense won't be so smothered when playing out of the back on a GK. Plus the olders will be more skilled and able to handle the pressure better - "most" of the U-Littles cannot. If you want to teach U-Littles how to build from the back you have to give them a good chance of having success (ie - making a second pass).

I really do like the build out line. It promotes skill, passing and a more thoughtful approach to soccer at younger ages. Teams that struggle with the BOL will struggle regardless of whether they have the rule in place or not.

Yeah - I know the rule and why it is there -- I just think that they should be giving ULittles (at least the ones I've seen) a better chance at a successful build from the back on a goal kick. Right now the attackers know exactly what the GK is going to do. In the future the GK will have options and the defense won't be so smothered when playing out of the back on a GK. Plus the olders will be more skilled and able to handle the pressure better - "most" of the U-Littles cannot. If you want to teach U-Littles how to build from the back you have to give them a good chance of having success (ie - making a second pass).
No offense meant, but I don't think you get it. The whole point is not to give the player taking the goal kick (GK or otherwise) the option to boot it. That forces them to make the hard play, and find a way out when they are "smothered". In that way they learn how to play from the back under pressure. When they are under 9 the result is meaningless.

The best "u-little" teams/players (ie. those that have developed) can get the ball out even under such pressure. That is what the point is. I'm sure you see lots of teams that can do it easily.

If a team cannot play the ball out of the back, they have not (been taught nor) learned how to play soccer properly.

No offense meant, but I don't think you get it. The whole point is not to give the player taking the goal kick (GK or otherwise) the option to boot it. That forces them to make the hard play, and find a way out when they are "smothered". In that way they learn how to play from the back under pressure. When they are under 9 the result is meaningless.

The best "u-little" teams/players (ie. those that have developed) can get the ball out even under such pressure. That is what the point is. I'm sure you see lots of teams that can do it easily.

If a team cannot play the ball out of the back, they have not (been taught nor) learned how to play soccer properly.

Agreed! And remember that they will fail and not have options and have to clear, but do believe it's teaching a valuable lesson. The no heading rule, now that bothers me. There could be some reasons when not to allow it and when you allow. Not well thought out.

Refs, are there goal kicks with BOL? Or does GK play from their hands instead of a goal kick? We had tourney last week with BOL and goal kicks.

How have teams adjust positions that players are in?
Before the BOL, the kid with the big boot was in the back. The kid with the skill in the middle. And the fast kid up top.

Refs, are there goal kicks with BOL? Or does GK play from their hands instead of a goal kick? We had tourney last week with BOL and goal kicks.
Today in Blues Cup, first game, keeper could use her feet to pass a goal kick, but second game refs said she had to use her hands to roll it out. So it seems to be inconsistent.

Today in Blues Cup, first game, keeper could use her feet to pass a goal kick, but second game refs said she had to use her hands to roll it out. So it seems to be inconsistent.

There has been so many different iterations of the rules for the 7v7 games, I am not surprised that refs are not clear on the rules. Every tournament I refereed this summer had slightly different 7v7 rules. IMHO, CalSouth should have implemented firm 7v7 rules back in May and made summer tournaments enforce those rules. If that had happened, then by now everyone would know them and enforcement would be consistent going into the fall season. I do think that only one referee is needed for the 7v7 games on those tiny fields.

I totally agree with the above. When I've been talking to parents, managers and coaches of U12 and lower aged teams, they all keep talking about this and that tournament. It is very important to just forget about the summer tournament rules. It was a mess. Some tourney's made up stuff that I've seen no where else.

The players can clear the build-out line when the ball is put into play. Goal kick, the ball is in play when it clears the penalty area. Ball in the keeper's hands it is in play when it is released from the hand control (thrown or dropped to the ground).

Here is a link to the Cal-South guidelines which I trust will be enforced consistently at the league level:
http://media.calsouth.com/data/Downloads/Referees/2018/7v7.pdf

... Here is a link to the Cal-South guidelines which I trust will be enforced consistently at the league level: http://media.calsouth.com/data/Downloads/Referees/2018/7v7.pdf

"be enforced consistently" or "not be changed." Last year and it carried over to this summer season, the early adopters struggled to interpret and come up with rules that met the spirit of the recommendations and changed things through the season (SCDSL) . With US Soccer, US Youth Soccer and Cal South recommendations, we Refs should be much more consistent, provided the leagues don't change the rules.

We also should have referees that are much more "with it" on the new rules because we hopefully will have some stability moving forward.

Back