Beware of AYSO United Downey

Hi guys, I usually don’t post or single anyone out. But Ayso United Downey G09- Martinez, the coach has crossed the line. Coach Jr has been belittling his players for a long time now. Excessive foul language, talking crap to other parents on the team about girls on the team, creating a toxic environment. I’ve seen players come and go due to his verbal abuse and nothing has been done. DOC Ozzie has been made aware of the situation and nothing has been done. It’s sad because these young girls have cried over coaches behavior. Team manager Yaneth has created a toxic environment as well. Hope something is done soon. But I definitely don’t recommend you signing up your child to AYSO United. Or stay away from the Downey chapter!!!

Hi guys, I usually don’t post or single anyone out. But Ayso United Downey G09- Martinez, the coach has crossed the line. Coach Jr has been belittling his players for a long time now. Excessive foul language, talking crap to other parents on the team about girls on the team, creating a toxic environment. I’ve seen players come and go due to his verbal abuse and nothing has been done. DOC Ozzie has been made aware of the situation and nothing has been done. It’s sad because these young girls have cried over coaches behavior. Team manager Yaneth has created a toxic environment as well. Hope something is done soon. But I definitely don’t recommend you signing up your child to AYSO United. Or stay away from the Downey chapter!!!
I have know some folks that live in the area and their kids are young, thanks for the tip. Not sure if they will enter soccer after all the things I warned them about. I will tell them to watch out for Doc Ozzie & Coach Jr. Sorry to hear about that. We had a coach yell at players for gaining weight over the summer. Also had one punk ask a player, "why are you crying so much, are you on your period again." I also had a TM lie to kids about why my dd missed a game on a early Saturday morning for a weak tournament at 7:30am that was way over hyped and players had to play 4 games in three days if they advanced. TM told the team my kid was out partying too late the night before (TM spies who lie and snitch with info they gathered on Instagram), which was half true. Coach actually told her she could skip the game. We won 7-0, so need for my kid to show up at 6:30am in the cold in Oceanside. I hope you find a good doc and coach for your kid Big Bob.

Beware of "ENTER CLUB NAME HERE".

Doesn't matter the club or sport. Coaches have their favorites no matter how hard these players suck. They will force who they don't want out the back door through a group of parents if they cant do it through the traditional way of not playing the kid. These coaches and parents will have a special place in hell waiting for them in the end game. To level the playing field, leagues should not have roster freezes and players should only need to pay per month. Why should a club or coach get paid for bad business?

Beware of "ENTER CLUB NAME HERE".

Doesn't matter the club or sport. Coaches have their favorites no matter how hard these players suck. They will force who they don't want out the back door through a group of parents if they cant do it through the traditional way of not playing the kid. These coaches and parents will have a special place in hell waiting for them in the end game. To level the playing field, leagues should not have roster freezes and players should only need to pay per month. Why should a club or coach get paid for bad business?
To add a little more to level the playing field, I would like to recommend no more TMs either. First off, it's a thankless part time job and riddled with favoritism and gossip. Lastly, no more daddy or mommy on the these club boards or owning these clubs. Pay for play only works if the Doc, Coach, TM and the rich parents like you. The moment you dare speak up, your toast and that is just wrong. Who hires these Docs like Ozzie and Coaches like Jr? All these girls need to be playing and not begging to play. Really, the girls need to be treated with respect and not used, yelled at or treated like sh*t. Nothing wrong with coaching to make a player better, but this abuse needs to fu*king stop.

Usually time helps to separate the ones that are "in this" to help and the ones who are in this to use others.

Our job, no matter our role in the environment, is to help to speed things up.

By keeping those jobs, those persons are being rewarded by their behaviour.

As long as those coaches have teems to coach, they will continue to do the same. I believe that everyone can learn and be better, but everyone needs a push and will not change habits until the old habits stop serving them.

I don't know anything about the particular branch but here's my take on AYSO United, both of which can be true at the same time. Firstly, AYSO United is doing some wonderful work. I like that it is diversifying it's levels so that every kid, based on their level of play and their commitment to the sport, has a place to play. Their materials and their training at the u littles level are second to none. They usually go out of their way to make sure there is quality training spaces. I love the everyone plays guarantee, particularly at the younger ages, when development is key. I love that the fees are usually more accessible than other clubs allowing access for a broader range of kids to play. I think it's unfair that AYSO United has been locked out of the higher letter leagues.

That said, given that AYSO United relies a lot of volunteers or converts from parents to coaches, the quality of the product is irregular. While every club can have its share of bad coaches, given AYSO United is disfuse over a variety of training areas, it's harder to police using the top down structure. There's also a cultural issue...the parents coming in from AYSO Core and Extras aren't necessarily looking at the long game (particularly since United is locked out of the letter leagues and parents whose kids are looking to do those might leave for elsewhere)...it has a distinct little league feel to it, where winning is everything and development is second.

Our own experience with AYSO United was a very mixed bag: a best of times, worst of times situation.

To level the playing field, leagues should not have roster freezes

The higher level letter leagues have much looser roster freezes because the only thing they really need to protect against is players coming in during playoff time as ringers. People aren't generally hopping up (because there isn't anywhere to go) and the roster caps pre season (because of the demand) are generally full.

The problem is if you do it on a lower level league, particularly if one has pro/rel, you are going to have teams explode on you when they realize they can't advance. The best players will leave for higher placed leagues, the team performs worse, rinse and repeat until you can no longer field a minimum # of players. It's why Socal League expanded the roster freeze to cover state cup....that was what in practice was happening with state cup.

I would say that you should go to the higher ups before a post like this, but at ayso they are only about protecting themselves,not the players. So just get your dd to a safe place and try to make the best of it

Wow they actually did something. Maybe the sheer number of recent sex abuse cases hitting AYSO has finally got them doing something to protect children from predators for a change!

Praise for United Downey where it is due. We played their B11 team today on a brand new field; very well organized, great referee (who I recognized from other scrimmages) and a strong team with a coach who was supportive and friendly. Nothing but good things to say about this team who I hope we can play again sometime.

Our team played them once a few years back (g09 ayso downey) . I did notice how they encouraged girls to play a bit dirty. They would tap on the heel of our players shoes while running just enough to make them fall but didn’t look like a foul.

Back