Better Team or More Playing Time on the Soccer Field?

interesting point in the article about goalies... how playing on a great team can actually hurt you if you're trying to develop as a goalie since you may not see any action for long periods of time...

I agree on this for keepers. Lots of close games, two very slow CB's. Faced a lot of shots, had to learn and play as a sweeper keeper(thankfully never had a coach that yelled "stay on your line"), had to get used to bad pass backs and adjust on the fly. Plus played every game. Made for a better player.

If you worry about playing time on the A team, just sign them up for AYSO for extra minutes. Playing time is playing time, I have never seen a kid complain about scoring too many goals against lower level competition.
This was my daughter age 9 and 10. The club team needed her more in goal at the time although she got some field time, so she played forward on AYSO and AYSO select.

It's mostly for the kids, but you should consider it from your own perspective as well. As a a parent, I was miserable when my kid was a bench player. I would look at the clock every game to see when he entered and exited the game. I am also not very good at pretending to show team spirit in a final if my kid doesn't get to play much.

Personally my favorite seasons have been those when my kids started and played a lot regardless how competitive the team was. No reason to pay >$4K a year to be miserable. :)

I moved my kid from one ECNL team to another. On the initial team the coach has a habit of playing certain players all the time. My DD was getting frustrated.

Made the move to another ECNL team where she was a starter and got a ton of minutes. She was much happier after the move.

I moved my kid from one ECNL team to another. On the initial team the coach has a habit of playing certain players all the time. My DD was getting frustrated.

Made the move to another ECNL team where she was a starter and got a ton of minutes. She was much happier after the move.
did you make the move midseason or finish out the season? curious which two clubs, if you're willing to share, I'm wondering if it's a club thing or more of a coach issue, what did you feel it was for your player?

did you make the move midseason or finish out the season? curious which two clubs, if you're willing to share, I'm wondering if it's a club thing or more of a coach issue, what did you feel it was for your player?
Made the move mid season.

It was a coach thing with the first club rather than being a club wide issue.

The move was great. Went to a place where they had actively pursued her in the past.

Desert answered your question and I think it was the right move. I learned the hard way... waiting for tryouts is for suckers. It shouldn't be, but it is. What happens is knowledgeable parents manipulate the system because they know teams are 95% set before tryouts happen. There's a finesse to the process, because of recruiting rules and getting your player card away from the club, but I believe connecting with your future club is imperative and needs to happen before leaving your current situation. And it needs to be done as quietly as possible because some clubs... okay, most every club I've ever seen... will punish your kid for wanting to leave.

Desert answered your question and I think it was the right move. I learned the hard way... waiting for tryouts is for suckers. It shouldn't be, but it is. What happens is knowledgeable parents manipulate the system because they know teams are 95% set before tryouts happen. There's a finesse to the process, because of recruiting rules and getting your player card away from the club, but I believe connecting with your future club is imperative and needs to happen before leaving your current situation. And it needs to be done as quietly as possible because some clubs... okay, most every club I've ever seen... will punish your kid for wanting to leave.
I always got, "You need to finish what you start dad. You're not teaching your kid ethics 101" from the parents, coach and Doc. They would try and make you feel guilty and then scare you with fear, "College coaches don't like club hoppers." For my post 1002, my dd was 100% punished for leaving early. Doc was so pissed off. I told him if he wasn't such a liar we would have finished out but I don't trust you Doc. Plus, well you guys know the rest of story. We only chose a coach when she played club until she went to Strikers after the AR and Crazy Larry fiasco. Fact is, were all suckers. Back to OP, it's all about play time. Sitting on the bench sucks apples. I would only sit if I was getting paid and playing pro or getting a full ride in college.

Last edited:
I always got, "You need to finish what you start dad. You're not teaching your kid ethics 101" from the parents, coach and Doc. They would try and make you feel guilty and then scare you with fear, "College coaches don't like club hoppers." For my post 1002, my dd was 100% punished for leaving early. Doc was so pissed off. I told him if he wasn't such a liar we would have finished out but I don't trust you Doc. Plus, well you guys know the rest of story. We only chose a coach when she played club until she went to Strikers after the AR and Crazy Larry fiasco. Fact is, were all suckers. Back to OP, it's all about play time. Sitting on the bench sucks apples. I would only sit if I was getting paid and playing pro or getting a full ride in college.

This is all very interesting. I guess we have just been incredibly fortunate in our brief experience with club soccer. The 2 clubs we're been with all the Coaches & Managers have been very respectful of our decisions and always wanted what was best for the player. We are still in contact with one of the prior coaches and he has even ref'd some of our games for the new club. New club coach is great and has only been totally straightforward since the beginning.

Unfortunately it does look like the new Club's B Team is folding due to lack of commitment from players and there will only be an A Team going forward. My player is on the bubble which the coach has been transparent about very limited playing time if we make the team (more of a development player). I appreciate all the perspective and opinions as it is very helpful as we evaluate options.

This is all very interesting. I guess we have just been incredibly fortunate in our brief experience with club soccer. The 2 clubs we're been with all the Coaches & Managers have been very respectful of our decisions and always wanted what was best for the player. We are still in contact with one of the prior coaches and he has even ref'd some of our games for the new club. New club coach is great and has only been totally straightforward since the beginning.

Unfortunately it does look like the new Club's B Team is folding due to lack of commitment from players and there will only be an A Team going forward. My player is on the bubble which the coach has been transparent about very limited playing time if we make the team (more of a development player). I appreciate all the perspective and opinions as it is very helpful as we evaluate options.
That's great to hear. I shouldn't have said "always." My dd fav coach was super honest and his honesty cost him big time. After she left he was always nice to her and me. I was also honest about wanting to leave for greener pasture and it cost me a couple times. High stakes soccer at the highest level can get nasty after U11.

I started my DS in club right when Covid hit. We had a really neat team where it was competitive and he played a lot. Since the travel became too much, we moved to local F2 team where they played in CSL and he was the best on the team, we decided to move him back up to F1 where he joined a new club. The coach recruited him and promised development + a big role on the team. Once we paid, he didn't play as much and sat behind playing a director's son. We left immediately and joined a top team in CA, the trainings were intense, highly competitive where they would train hard and condition after. This really helped my DS step his game up, unfortunately the team was really good that he simply could not start or get enough minutes. We were grateful for the time there but playing time is just as important where he's back to playing on a team where he's featured.

In conclusion, both playing on a better team and playing time are really important but if I could choose, I would have him get more playing time because that's where the true development lies. Winning is also not important at the younger age groups so as long as you get a good intense training and conditioning, playing on the field is where you get the most development.

Back