Best way to find ref for scrimmages?

Hi all...this is my first foray as a team manager trying to secure a ref for some scrimmages in December. What is the best way of scheduling a quality ref?

We are U9 so one ref should suffice. I'm guessing the going rate would be $50/game?

Hi all...this is my first foray as a team manager trying to secure a ref for some scrimmages in December. What is the best way of scheduling a quality ref?

We are U9 so one ref should suffice. I'm guessing the going rate would be $50/game?
Where are you? Either way, ask your club who assigns games for the club/area, and you can contact them. The club may actually have qualified refs willing to work your game also, especially $50 for a U9 game.

Aren't there multiple ones? Any particular one better suited for games in Torrance area?
Yes, that's why I suggested you contact your club to see which one your club uses. This would be the logical place to start.

Are you part of a formal club, that secures referees for its home games?

Theofficialart.weebly.com

Guys stop throwin games away to associations let licensed freelancers like myself get some work . I work with the LB association, just get through to me through my site. Thank you

Theofficialart.weebly.com

Guys stop throwin games away to associations let licensed freelancers like myself get some work . I work with the LB association, just get through to me through my site. Thank you

Interesting idea, I have a question....what Art would do if there is a serious injury in the game he "freelancing"? Does Art have an insurance for that?

Interesting idea, I have a question....what Art would do if there is a serious injury in the game he "freelancing"? Does Art have an insurance for that?
Good question, its a scrimmage and doesnt mean all associations have insurance, but way to kill the vibe lol.

What if they scrimmage without a ref and they get hurt from a strong tackle on a crappy field, whose liable then? Get the point? Yea...some are bitter here.

Good question, its a scrimmage and doesnt mean all associations have insurance, but way to kill the vibe lol.

What if they scrimmage without a ref and they get hurt from a strong tackle on a crappy field, whose liable then? Get the point? Yea...some are bitter here.

You can do what ever you want, I'm just trying to help you out a little, since obviously you are not thinking of consequences.

Not likely. He would probably do nothing other than help summon first respondents, etc. If he were sued, he may or may not choose to respond, depending on his assets, etc.

But Eagle, if he were not freelancing "would he have insurance for that?"

All USSF soccer referees are covered by USSF insurance for the enumerated activities (see link): https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/ruqcsf0671k1bcf6dzwf/1/461761649/223456289714/1

Referees are also covered by US Youth Soccer's General Liability Insurance and Cal South to the extent the teams and activities are between affiliated leagues, clubs, teams. The General Liability policy will respond on behalf of member leagues, teams, coaches, players, referees and volunteers. So, if the clubs are US Youth soccer affiliated clubs participating in a scrimmage (aka practice) there would be coverage.

I assume the same is true for US Club Soccer and AYSO, but you can google that.

Generally speaking, Law 5 immunizes Referees against liability. The Laws of Soccer form a constructive contract between the players, coaches and officials. Law 5 states:

A referee or other match official is not held liable for:
  • any kind of injury suffered by a player, official or spectator
  • any damage to property of any kind
  • any other loss suffered by any individual, club, company, association or other body, which is due or which may be due to any decision taken under the terms of the Laws of the Game or in respect of the normal procedures required to hold, play and control a match.
Such decisions may include a decision:
  • that the condition of the field of play or its surrounds or that the weather conditions are such as to allow or not to allow a match to take place
  • to abandon a match for whatever reason
  • as to the suitability of the field equipment and ball used during a match
  • to stop or not to stop a match due to spectator interference or any problem in spectator areas
  • to stop or not to stop play to allow an injured player to be removed from the field of play for treatment
  • to require an injured player to be removed from the field of play for treatment
  • to allow or not to allow a player to wear certain clothing or equipment
  • where the referee has the authority, to allow or not to allow any persons (including team or stadium officials, security officers, photographers or other media representatives) to be present in the vicinity of the field of play
  • any other decision taken in accordance with the Laws of the Game or in conformity with their duties under the terms of FIFA, confederation, national football association or competition rules or regulations under which the match is played
Bottom line, if the teams are affiliated with US Youth Soccer (Cal South) and/or the USSF there is likely insurance coverage available. Moreover, there is contractual immunity under Law 5 for most claims. Personally, I'm not worried.​

They have insurance under CalSouth for games and practice if affiliated, referee or no no referee.

Ok the responses I got afterwards were incredible thank you. I knew about the liability thing but didnt know it applied to scrimmages also. Just incredible thank you, faith restored in humanity, especially after the crazy day yesterday..:oops:

Back