Are GotSoccer.com and youthsoccerrankings.us rankings worth anything?

I have seen coaches post that they are #1 in the state or country and wear it like a nice Christmas sweater. They will put there "be it live it own it.." statements next to the picture.

"1. Sometimes it confuses teams and puts results from Team A for Team B and vice versa."

And also a lot of times during tourneys, the coaches who normally put their last name as part of the team entry take it off so only shows the club name.

So that also may affect true rankings.

If they end up sucking, won't mess up their actual ranking.

The parents who actually have teams in Top 10/20 Cal South, etc are very knowledgeable and do care from what I've seen. They do love talking about it lol

You can accumulate a bunch of gotsoccer points playing in bronze level tournaments that use their software. You end up with a very high ranking as a tier 3 team. A good flight 1 team can have a low ranking because they don't do many gotsoccer tournaments. The only benefit is to look at the opponents to see how they did against teams you know.

No. They falsely feed insane parents looking to brag on Facebook.

Skip and enjoy the games on the field.
Heard a lot of bragging on the sidelines this last weekend. Very obnoxious. Facebook not needed when you have a sideline from the other team to hear what ranking your team is at, how good ones kid is, and that they made ODP.:confused:

Surf Cup rankings thru GOTSOCCER were worthless in determing quality this past weekend
I never said anything about quality. They are just rankings based on points you earn playing in certain tournaments. The teams thst play in the most tournaments will generally be ranked higher but that is no indication of how good they are.

The way I see it is:
Gotsoccer rankings is only from tournaments that are listed on their website.
Youth Soccer Rankings is from most/many more tournaments and from most leagues.
Therefore YSR is more accurate.
In AZ at least gotsoccer.com awards points for how you place in a league. Now maybe that has changed recently. My DD hasnt been on a team that plays in any AZ league now for some time.

I do recall one glaring example of how bad gotsoccer.com rankings are from a few years ago. Our team played in a small tournament and we were in the top bracket...and the top bracket was very weak. 2 teams from the states top league and the rest from lower divisions. The team that won the tournament got more points for that tournament vs what gotsoccer awarded the team who won the top league in the state that year and also gave more points vs the team who actually won the state tournament that year.

Never liked gotsoccer. YSR is much better.

In AZ at least gotsoccer.com awards points for how you place in a league. Now maybe that has changed recently. My DD hasnt been on a team that plays in any AZ league now for some time.

I do recall one glaring example of how bad gotsoccer.com rankings are from a few years ago. Our team played in a small tournament and we were in the top bracket...and the top bracket was very weak. 2 teams from the states top league and the rest from lower divisions. The team that won the tournament got more points for that tournament vs what gotsoccer awarded the team who won the top league in the state that year and also gave more points vs the team who actually won the state tournament that year.

Never liked gotsoccer. YSR is much better.

My son's team had a good summer where they won 4 local tournaments in a row, some of them by PKs in the final. They were ranked someting like #6 in California accordin to TS. Then reality set in and they faded from sight by Labor Day.

I am really Keepermom2. For some reason I can't get into my account and I can't get a password reset.

Any way, I have never paid attention to soccer rankings until the recent months. I started looking because we are on a new team with over half the team being new and the stars seemed to align such that we are a pretty good team. The base team was Flight 2 last year but I have spent enough time in this crazy soccer world to know that we are a flight 1 team. I have never cared about flight level and I especially don't care about being on a winning team because being on a winning team doesn't serve my goalkeeper well for development. We have only lost 2 games in the last 5 months 19 games with one of those being lost in Pk's. If we aren't losing, then we aren't playing strong enough competition is my view. Before each tournament, I look at our competition ranking to anticipate what kind of game it is going to be.

On YSR we are ranked 66 and on Gotsoccer, we are ranked 41. It appears to me Gotsoccer puts more emphasis on what has been done lately which makes sense for us with such a significant change in our team makeup. Having said that, it also puts us above our ECNL team by a couple of spots and that is not accurate and appears to be because our ECNL team has not played any tournaments since January.

On YSR, we are ranked behind some teams we have beat by as much as 23 spots so that doesn't make sense either.

On YSR, teams get hit hard in the scoring if they lose against us because we are ranked so much lower than what we really are so I don't think that is fair either.

I have surmised that Youth Soccer Rankings is better for DA and ECNL teams and Got Soccer for the rest since Got Soccer puts more emphasis on recent performance in tournaments and the rest of us play more tournaments and have more changes in team makeup from year to year thus putting emphasis on recent performance makes more sense for the rest of us. (Of course ignoring the DA and ECNL rankings in Got Soccer as inaccurate)

Both systems could be improved with certain tweeks in the algorithms.

Got soccer observations from my perspective.
Our team had a decent tournament run last year - Mostly playing in lowest bracket allowed. Moved us to into the "Top 90" in our age group.
This year, we played in slightly more challenging tournaments (Not quite Surf Cup level) and played in the top flight when it was available. We only play 1 tournament a month. Not the best way to accumulate lots of points.
And since points reset every year, we took a steep drop a few weeks ago.
Our team is essentially the same roster as a year ago. And we rarely bring in ringers as guests.

Doesn't really matter- Looking forward to the season starting next week.

Got soccer is not good.
YSR is much better based on the following:
- Teams move up in score if they beat teams that are ranked higher than them.
- Good teams that beat bad teams don't get hardly any jump in score
- If you lose by 3 goals or more, you will drop in points
- Teams that haven't played more than 4 or 5 games don't get ranked.

The down side that is that often times you will see two sets of data for the same team and it's up to the team manager or coach to tell YSR to merge the records.

Generally speaking, I think it's fairly accurate with a +/- 5 team separation. Meaning if you are ranked 20, you could be 15 or you could be 25.

Just remember, millions have been poured into better ranking organizations such as BCS college football ranking and every year there's drama. You should expect this to be somewhat incorrect as well.

I am really Keepermom2. For some reason I can't get into my account and I can't get a password reset.

Any way, I have never paid attention to soccer rankings until the recent months. I started looking because we are on a new team with over half the team being new and the stars seemed to align such that we are a pretty good team. The base team was Flight 2 last year but I have spent enough time in this crazy soccer world to know that we are a flight 1 team. I have never cared about flight level and I especially don't care about being on a winning team because being on a winning team doesn't serve my goalkeeper well for development. We have only lost 2 games in the last 5 months 19 games with one of those being lost in Pk's. If we aren't losing, then we aren't playing strong enough competition is my view. Before each tournament, I look at our competition ranking to anticipate what kind of game it is going to be.

On YSR we are ranked 66 and on Gotsoccer, we are ranked 41. It appears to me Gotsoccer puts more emphasis on what has been done lately which makes sense for us with such a significant change in our team makeup. Having said that, it also puts us above our ECNL team by a couple of spots and that is not accurate and appears to be because our ECNL team has not played any tournaments since January.

On YSR, we are ranked behind some teams we have beat by as much as 23 spots so that doesn't make sense either.

On YSR, teams get hit hard in the scoring if they lose against us because we are ranked so much lower than what we really are so I don't think that is fair either.

I have surmised that Youth Soccer Rankings is better for DA and ECNL teams and Got Soccer for the rest since Got Soccer puts more emphasis on recent performance in tournaments and the rest of us play more tournaments and have more changes in team makeup from year to year thus putting emphasis on recent performance makes more sense for the rest of us. (Of course ignoring the DA and ECNL rankings in Got Soccer as inaccurate)

Both systems could be improved with certain tweeks in the algorithms.

GotSoccer is useless by just about every metric. YSR collates all results, certain errors aside it's pretty darn good

I know we had a couple tournaments recently that used the rankings for assigning brackets. GotSoccer is better than it used to be by allowing league play to get included. YSR is still a bit better. Neither system will ever be perfect based on the turnover some teams have or the tourney stacking they might do.

People might be missing the benefit of YSR: The ratings (not the rankings) that tell you whether your team is >1 goal better or >1 goal worse than the team you are about to play. This rating, in my experience, accurately forecasts the relative strength of the two teams. Teams within a 1 goal rating (e.g., Team A is 34.05 and Team B is 34.95) are roughly even, in my viewings of games.

Back