Another US Soccer idea...

can someone tell me when are the tryouts for flight 2 - Bio Band: Chubby - 65% Speed - Happy personality?

and please tell me what bio band did Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Neymar belong to?

and while you're at it, how many male world soccer stars has the US produced that only made it because of their physical advantage? actually please tell me about US male soccer stars period lol

Do some research before you make silly comments, unless you're just fishing for likes. Players change bands as they mature, that's the whole point.

So sad that people are failing to recognise the advantages of this system. No it shouldn't be used at every level, but it is commonly used in academies all over Europe and is proving a huge success. The US tries to follow suit and people trash talk it...shame.

Can you be a little more specific? A huge success at what?

So sad that people are failing to recognise the advantages of this system. No it shouldn't be used at every level, but it is commonly used in academies all over Europe and is proving a huge success. The US tries to follow suit and people trash talk it...shame.

Their big sally won't be buldozing 10 goals in U8 ball anymore - of course people are unhappy.

Please share which European academies use this model and the standards that they applied to determine that it’s implementation was a huge success.

Please share which European academies use this model and the standards that they applied to determine that it’s implementation was a huge success.

Well in the UK, you can start with Southampton, who are arguably the best academy in England and have produced more national team players than any of the other clubs in the past decade, plus Bale for Wales of course. They are pioneering it in England and a whole host of other clubs are following suit. If it's good enough for them, its good enough for the US. Again, for the top players, not little Jimmy and Sally at U7.

What would have been the really smart thing to do... Roll this out when they rolled out the Age Group changes. Roll it out as a "pilot" in a few regions or even offer it as a flight in a few tournaments to see how it is accepted and if it provides any developmental benefit for kids.
I know they are trying this at the Academy level. I'd like to think that at this level, there truly are the most skilled kids. And if a kid is really skilled and mature that he is moved up an age bracket (if not permanently, then at least for a game or 2).
I bet if you took Flight 1, 2 and 3 teams right now and looked at the ages and "bio-band" ages, there's a pretty good chances that the more "mature" kids are in Flight 1 (and are likely born between January and April).
How do they flight teams in the rest of the world?

What would have been the really smart thing to do... Roll this out when they rolled out the Age Group changes. Roll it out as a "pilot" in a few regions or even offer it as a flight in a few tournaments to see how it is accepted and if it provides any developmental benefit for kids.
I know they are trying this at the Academy level. I'd like to think that at this level, there truly are the most skilled kids. And if a kid is really skilled and mature that he is moved up an age bracket (if not permanently, then at least for a game or 2).
I bet if you took Flight 1, 2 and 3 teams right now and looked at the ages and "bio-band" ages, there's a pretty good chances that the more "mature" kids are in Flight 1 (and are likely born between January and April).
How do they flight teams in the rest of the world?

Yes, but I guess it depends how deeply US Soccer are going to commit to this. In England at least, this is only done in the professional academies. Obviously kids play up a year, but there is much more to bio banding than playing up.

I assume they will be trialling it with the DA program. As far as I know, its only being done with 12-16 year olds, so for all the U-Little players who are just bigger kids, there are other ways of coaching them and challenging them individually.

oh I'm sorry I hurt some feelings, silly me

you win, you win, you win, and you win, everyone wins! Trophies for everyone

Lol how is this about everyone winning? So the kid who is bigger than everyone else and has matured quicker, would be placed with older players, where he/she would be challenged more and less likely to win. It's literally the opposite.

Lol how is this about everyone winning? So the kid who is bigger than everyone else and has matured quicker, would be placed with older players, where he/she would be challenged more and less likely to win. It's literally the opposite.

oh I thought we called that simply playing up lol

can someone tell me when are the tryouts for flight 2 - Bio Band: Chubby - 65% Speed - Happy personality?

and please tell me what bio band did Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Neymar belong to?

and while you're at it, how many male world soccer stars has the US produced that only made it because of their physical advantage? actually please tell me about US male soccer stars period lol

I won't school you in your lack of soccer knowledge. Rather than make you look bad I will let you do a bit of research on those 4 players and you will see the bio bands they were in. They did not play age group soccer.

Ok, I can get with that. True enough.

These two points are where I fail to see how bio-banding can be implemented in any realistic way in forms other than one off tournaments like this. Can you imagine the clusterf*#k that would ensue if this sort of process was implemented by our current pay-to-play club director geniuses who (like it or not) are as a group responsible for the products that US Soccer tries to form into international players? No, no, and no.

I think the idea is actually very sound in itself. For years I have wished that schools didn't sort grades by birth year because everyone really does mature (physically and mentally) at different paces, and the ideal situation would be where all students were grouped according to bio-age. But implementing such a change in public schools would be a disaster. The key word is "ideal." Ideal and reality just don't share the same space. And I think US Soccer would be more well served to try to subvert the cancerous growth of pay-to-play than to keep feeding the latest age-group change solutions into an already malfunctioning piece of machinery.

Bio-Banding Supplements Academy Training and its not a Replacement

If we look at the English clubs that are experimenting with Bio-Banding, it has been reserved for the Academy system (top 1% of youth players) and is used purely for tournaments, simply a supplemental addition to the existing academy teams. So there is little likelihood that we would see this experiment outside the DA program because it would be a waste to use it on kids that have no reasonable shot at professional or national team play.

Soccer In the US Is Not a legitimate Revenue Sport (yet) that eliminate pay to play at the higher levels.

With regard to Pay-2-Play. Obviously, the US is a long, long, long way off from having anything close to the self-supported academy's in England due to the following:

(1) we have no legitimate professional leagues capable of playing at a high level on par with European and Latin American teams, thus, the revenue generating capabilities of the MLS lags terribly behind the rest of the world. As such, there isn't enough money to train/invest in youth soccer players by the so-called pro leagues (MLS and USL);

(2) the USSF and Players Council have so far rejected supporting FIFA's solidarity and training payments, thereby, eliminating incentives for all but the MLS and non-MLS clubs to "invest" in players. (see, https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/clu...tructuring-us-mens-youth-development_aid43811). Note, the only incentive MLS clubs have is the "home grown player" exception; and,

(3) we have no viable 3rd and below tiers (levels) that would support investment in youth programs. Compare that to England were they have over 11 tiers (levels) and more below that. To put this is perspective, the Level 7 Norther Premier League (not to be confused with the Premier League) Coalville Town Club's transfer value is $518k pounds on 13 players compares to the LA Galaxy's Academy (3rd team, comparable to a 4th level) with a value of 608k pounds on 33 players.

Pay to play is here to stay until soccer can displace baseball (which BTW is a pay to play sport).

Bio-Banding Supplements Academy Training and its not a Replacement

If we look at the English clubs that are experimenting with Bio-Banding, it has been reserved for the Academy system (top 1% of youth players) and is used purely for tournaments, simply a supplemental addition to the existing academy teams. So there is little likelihood that we would see this experiment outside the DA program because it would be a waste to use it on kids that have no reasonable shot at professional or national team play.

Soccer In the US Is Not a legitimate Revenue Sport (yet) that eliminate pay to play at the higher levels.

With regard to Pay-2-Play. Obviously, the US is a long, long, long way off from having anything close to the self-supported academy's in England due to the following:

(1) we have no legitimate professional leagues capable of playing at a high level on par with European and Latin American teams, thus, the revenue generating capabilities of the MLS lags terribly behind the rest of the world. As such, there isn't enough money to train/invest in youth soccer players by the so-called pro leagues (MLS and USL);

(2) the USSF and Players Council have so far rejected supporting FIFA's solidarity and training payments, thereby, eliminating incentives for all but the MLS and non-MLS clubs to "invest" in players. (see, https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/clu...tructuring-us-mens-youth-development_aid43811). Note, the only incentive MLS clubs have is the "home grown player" exception; and,

(3) we have no viable 3rd and below tiers (levels) that would support investment in youth programs. Compare that to England were they have over 11 tiers (levels) and more below that. To put this is perspective, the Level 7 Norther Premier League (not to be confused with the Premier League) Coalville Town Club's transfer value is $518k pounds on 13 players compares to the LA Galaxy's Academy (3rd team, comparable to a 4th level) with a value of 608k pounds on 33 players.

Pay to play is here to stay until soccer can displace baseball (which BTW is a pay to play sport).

Very well said. Bio-whatever is overkill for even our DA program. The solution for the handful of good players is let them play up...

I won't school you in your lack of soccer knowledge. Rather than make you look bad I will let you do a bit of research on those 4 players and you will see the bio bands they were in. They did not play age group soccer.

oh wait this just got interesting folks... so now you're saying Portugal, Argentina, Uruguay & Brazil had bio-banding programs decades ago?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do some research before you make silly comments, unless you're just fishing for likes. Players change bands as they mature, that's the whole point.

me? sorry bud, I think you have to do the research.

long story short, US Soccer should worry about actually producing world stars first then worry about the filters

If US Soccer was actually producing world class players that had physical advantages when they were younger, sure bio-banding would make sense.. now give another 1% a chance

Soccer is the sport that has the US scratching its head for decades. The US has a ton of wealth and resources, better nutrition, better training facilities, better quality of life, and a whole lot of "betters" but no world class soccer players

In the end, that kid who just plays pickup in the street with $2 shoes and a beat up ball somewhere in a country with less wealth and resources will make it further in Soccer.

oh wait this just got interesting folks... so now you're saying Portugal, Argentina, Uruguay & Brazil had bio-banding programs decades ago?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

YES! Where have you been? Ever been to the Biosphere? I took Biology in HS. My trash bags are biodegradable. And my DD now plays Bio-Band! Someday the best players will be bio-banded together and sold at auction like overseas. But actually let's take Neymar... He was brought into to the bio-banded Santos FC as a kid and trained and played with players ranging from 14-19 years old. Bio-banding! Messi was 13 when he went into the bio-banding... Even Pele was bio-banded. Whomever came up with this term needs to be fired... And we are not ready for bio-banding!

YES! Where have you been? Ever been to the Biosphere? I took Biology in HS. My trash bags are biodegradable. And my DD now plays Bio-Band! Someday the best players will be bio-banded together and sold at auction like overseas. But actually let's take Neymar... He was brought into to the bio-banded Santos FC as a kid and trained and played with players ranging from 14-19 years old. Bio-banding! Messi was 13 when he went into the bio-banding... Even Pele was bio-banded. Whomever came up with this term needs to be fired... And we are not ready for bio-banding!

ha! bio-band coolaid

none were bio-banded

played up.. yes.. the end

I think at this point it is important to recognise that bio-banding doesn't just mean the bigger, more mature kids play against older players. It is very important for the smaller, later developers to be in an environment where they can still develop their technical skills. For too long, the US has lacked technical players, usually because they get over-run and struggle in a physical game, simply because they have matured later.

Harry Kane is the newest example of this in England, he was a very late developer and through concepts like this, was able to stay at his club and train with appropriate players until he finally grew to match his team mates.

Lets face it, we have all seen a 14/15 year old kid who has great technical skill, but just isn't quick or strong enough and struggles in the competitive games. Rather than cut him, this allows for those players to remain within a system until they are fully grown.

Back