An idea

Art

SILVER ELITE
Why have we avoided this for so long?? As a coach, if you see your player is becoming heated or on the verge of that red card, why not take that player off and sit them out for the remainder of the game?? Why don't you take initiative?!

Too many times people point the finger at a referee and even when they give the red card a team has to vent that there was an unfair bias against them.

What I'm trying to get across is, refs can't teach proper behavior, we can discipline with cards and vocally for a few seconds to manage a game. Real lessons on proper conduct and behavior can only be taught by coaches and the parents by limiting a players time on the field. The safety that coaches and parents beg for constantly can be easily achieved if everyone involved was a little more proactive.

The old "you let the game get out of control." If coaches were telling the players to calm down, perhaps the game wouldn't "get out of control."

Some coaches are good about pulling a kid that is starting to get "out of control". However, I've heard other coaches that claim that they want the kid to "work through it on the field". That usually doesn't turn out very well.

When someone says the ref let the game get out of control, they are referring to the uncalled pushes and trips in the first ten minutes.

I don't know many coaches who will tell their kids not to push back in a game when almost nothing has been called. They will calm down the players enough to follow the rules as you call them.

If you want a clean game, call a clean game. No one is going to follow a rule that isn’t called.

When someone says the ref let the game get out of control, they are referring to the uncalled pushes and trips in the first ten minutes.

I don't know many coaches who will tell their kids not to push back in a game when almost nothing has been called. They will calm down the players enough to follow the rules as you call them.

If you want a clean game, call a clean game. No one is going to follow a rule that isn’t called.

A couple of early whistles, with the ref saying in essence to the players "Not in this game, not today - I don't want to have to write a lot of reports".

Why have we avoided this for so long?? As a coach, if you see your player is becoming heated or on the verge of that red card, why not take that player off and sit them out for the remainder of the game?? Why don't you take initiative?!

Chesterton's fence. Ask why it doesn't really operate that way? Wouldn't most coaches be smart and know they don't want to lose a player to a red card, let alone go down a player? Don't they want to develop the player into a better player? It makes perfect sense.

But 1. if that player is on the verge of getting a red card, he/she is in the thick of the game and trying to make an impact...he or she is making an impact in the game (or the coach, in an unlimited sub situation, would have taken them out anyways), 2. the coach is making an assessment of the risk of the ref actually handing down a red card (as opposed to a yellow) v. the loss of impact that comes from taking that player out, and 3. the coach (because the parents judge him on the win) is judging this solely on whether it makes the win more likely or not.

So the ref can't escape responsibility in this. The ref's role is to impose the cost of the rules violation on the coach for improper conduct. It would be nice if we lived in a world where coaches operated the way you suggest, but people are rationale, and wishing away the fence doesn't make it in fact go away.

AR yesterday on a Boys U16 game. Player had a mouth and fouling a bit. Ref gives yellow, player still mouthing a bit, so ref walks over to coach to let him know a sub would be smart. Coach was incredulous, and barely subbed him off. Ref was doing a great job of game management (in a roughly played game)...

I think I am most happy when refs give out those yellows for dissent.

I see the players arguing with the refs and I wonder why they don't give more out. I think that will calm them down pretty quick after the first few boys get a yellow. The coach will then snap out of it since those are usually their most aggressive players and it gets dangerous for them to be out there playing on a yellow if they pick it up early in the game.

I don't need a ref making a speech before the game about how tough he is going to be, but after a few good whistles, I appreciate them taking control of the game. It usually is a better game to watch.

Refs have to take control and manage.
Coaches and parents need to be aware and take responsibility for their players. All coaches and parents KNOW Who is going to get a yellow and who is always a risk to get a double or Ref card. Most kids and sidelines take on the personality of the coach .. if he is a screamer most of the time the sideline and players will be as well

Best way to keep a sideline quiet- Put up a camera on a tall tripod. I started recording games for my kid- I set up at midield. Nobody sits within 15 yards on either side of me. And those that used to be vocal are now very silent.

Back