All Team Rankings

DA Soccer

BRONZE
I’ve been doing DA rankings for last 2 months and have gotten several private messages asking me how I think the non-Academy teams compare with the Academy teams. There have also been a lot of posts talking about the failed Academy program given the US Men’s debacle.

First, I am biased toward Academy because my DD is on an Academy team, so everything probably has a pro academy bias. Also, my brother is a tier D1 assistant coach, so I have gotten his perspective on things as well. I think the Academy program has the best players and if your DD is a regular starter on a good team, Academy is definitely the right choice.

If your DD is not a regular starter or not on a good team, I would strongly consider looking elsewhere.

This is for 2 reasons, first, I think the biggest probably with the Academy system is the kids do not play enough games. US soccer says this is what other countries do, but US soccer does not understand we are different. US kids are not playing hours of pick up soccer and not watching hours of professional games on their own. Thus, US kids do not understand the game as well as their international piers. The way they catch up is by playing games. The US woman’s team has done so well because we have top athletes and because our youth girls programs have played tons of game. I fear Academy is really going to hurt the future of US soccer because of the games. Thus, if your DD is not playing the majority of the few games Academy is playing, you need to move them.

Also, playing for a bad Academy team is not a great idea. Scouts at the Academy events are going to focus on the top teams. According to my brother, his team looks for kids from winning teams, because he wants winners. If a player is not good enough to turn a team into a winning team that is one strike. The fact that the player is okay being on a losing team is another strike. He wants kids that know how to win and won’t accept losing. He says there is enough talent that every kid he takes has ability. They look for other things, and winning is one of them.

Anyway, below is my opinion of the top 25 teams in So. Cal right now (including the one non So Cal Academy team, but not including the non so Cal ECNL teams). Hopefully this starts some conversation of how wrong I am or who I left out.

There are 13 Academy teams, 6 ECNL teams, 3 CSL teams and 3 SDSL teams in my top 25. Most of the talent is in Academy and, then, ECNL. There are however a few outsiders, including SD Navy, who is #4. They won Surf Cup (beating Arsenal 3-0), and are tearing up the 2002 division of SCDSL. I even have a few teams from lower brackets because the brackets in SCDSL and Coast are a mess this year because of the Academy changes. Teams in the top bracket don’t belong to be there as many of their top players left for Academy. Most of the non Academy/non ECNL teams have several kids with interest from several colleges, so if you are a top player on one of these teams, you will get noticed.

I did not include any DPL teams because these teams are generally B or C teams and did not do well against any of the teams on this list in the games played. Also, the top DPL team is Eagles and they were the only Academy team not to make the list.

1. Blues Academy – This is the number 1 Academy team and the number one team overall. They have one of the strongest defenses around, and number 17 is an absolute stud on top. Their center defender is also elite. They are a fun team to watch. Right now, they are significantly above everyone else. I can’t wait to see them play the other top teams.

2. Surf Academy – There record in Academy should put them lower as they have had a tough start, but this team has more talent than anyone, including several national pool players. I have confidence they will make a comeback. They were dominant before the season started, winning surf cup and beating Blues and SD Galaxy (7-1) in the process. They just have to refind their mojo.

3. SD Galaxy Academy – I had this team highly rank (and was criticized for it) because I knew they had the special intangibles I was talking about above. Some teams know how to win, even if they have a little less talent. This is one of those teams. Other than the big loss at Surf Cup, this team has repeatedly shown they can play with the top teams.

4. San Diego Navy – the best story on the list. This team has been fighting against the ECNL teams for years and somehow still holding its own. The core of this team has been together since U9 and their center mid is a national team pool player. They won Surf this year and beat one of the top ECNL teams 3-0 while doing it. A team like this will get lots of attention from scouts at the tournaments Academy doesn’t attend. If I was a coach, I would want to see them play more than I would want to see any of the lower Academy teams.

5. Legends Academy – After years of often prevailing against Arsenal despite being at a total disadvantage against their rival (because Arsenal was ECNL), this club finally gets to turn the table. They will not look back. I predict Arsenal will be a shadow of itself in a few years as Legends takes over the IE. This team has one of the best offenses around and is fun to watch. #13 up top is electric.

6. W. Coast Academy – They are always just a notch below Surf and Blues, but that still makes them one of the best clubs around. A nice win over Surf puts them on the map. I think they are going to be fighting for one of the top spots. Five of the top six teams are Academy. I warned you, I might be biased, but I really think this is correct.

7. Arsenal ECNL – It will be interesting to see how Arsenal does in a few years when it doesn’t have the ECNL monopoly on the best players. I’m guessing not as well. At least RB will still have President’s Cup to shoot for. Nevertheless, this team is right at the top in ECNL. ECNL is definitely a step down from Academy, but the top ECNL teams are still better than the second tier Academy teams.

8. Strikers ECNL – Another top ECNL team that knows how to win. They had one of the strongest teams last year. While they lost a little talent, they still are very strong. They definitely have a chance of passing Arsenal before the end of the year.

9. LA Galaxy Academy – both Galaxy teams have been big surprises this season to many. This Galaxy team has a very potent offense led by some of the stars in the Academy program. They are fun to watch and have proved they can score and win. They still have to prove they can compete against the top teams as they have enjoyed a relatively easy schedule to start the season.

10. I.E. Surf Premier – The second non ECNL/Academy team is destroying the CSL for the second year in a row. They finished second in League Cup last year to a good Golden State team that imploded. They are a very heavy favorite to finish the Premier season undefeated and take the League Cup. They have beaten several Academy and ECNL teams and have earned a place in the top 10. While they don’t play the prettiest soccer, their constant pressure makes weaker teams wilt.

11. TVH Hawks – The top 2003 SCDSL team is tearing up the league (Navy is playing and destroying in the 02 bracket). It is unlikely anyone will challenge them as the rest of the Champions division is quite weak. Most of the Champions teams are only there because of what they did last year before they lost several players to DA or ECNL. DA has changed a lot because it has really diluted the talent. This means teams that stayed together like Navy and Hawks become stronger, because everyone else became much weaker.

12. Beach Academy – After a rocky start, they are really starting to turn it on. They have a lot of talent. I honestly thought they were going to be one of the strongest teams this year as beach had 2 top teams to choose from, plus they pulled in a few good outsiders. Not having the star midfielder has definitely hurt them.

13. Slammers Academy -- Probably the most disappointing academy team. Everyone had high expectations for them, and they have not come close to meeting them. They have a lot of talent, but the loss of GL as coach, has really hurt this team, in terms of play and recruiting.

14. Albion Academy – Unlike slammers, expectations were low to start the season as they had a tough summer. There were questions about whether they belonged in Academy. But, they have silenced the critics with a nice tie against a shorthanded Surf team and some other good league results. With so much talent in San Diego, this team will only get stronger each year as they now will have the Academy name to help their recruiting.

15. Del Sol Academy – Only out of state team should not really be on the list, but I included them because they are in DA and purpose of these rankings were to answer questions of how I think non DA teams compare to DA. They have a great 5-1 win over Beach, but not much else. Still a very good team.

16. Surf ECNL – Nothing exciting about this team. They just get the job done. They a step below Strikers and Arsenal, but they should finish in the top 4 in league (Heat FC is also near the top). It will be interesting to see how this team develops. Surf has enough talent to spread around.

17. Crescenta Valley – This team came out of nowhere. I am not sure how they improved so much so quickly, but wins over several top teams, including Sharks ECNL, puts them on the map. They are demolishing their Europa competition with 23 goals for and 0 against. They beat the second place team 5-0 (SGV Surf). SGV Surf might have made the list if not for that loss. This team has the talent to turn into another San Diego Navy if it stays together.

18. Slammers ECNL – Close loses to the two of the top 3 teams have put this team behind Sharks in the standings, but I think once the schedule balances out, they will make the top 5 and hopefully claim a wild card spot. They do not seem far behind their Academy sister team and I am sure there are several players on this squad who think they deserved an Academy spot.

19. Del Mar Sharks ECNL – Finally get the call to ECNL right as ECNL is falling apart. They lost a few key attackers and they have a new coach, but they are still a strong team that is putting up a pretty good showing in ECNL. I expect them to get better as they get used to their new coach and new attack.

20. Real So Cal Academy – A decent start to Academy with wins over the league’s weakest two teams. This team lost some talent to the surrounding Academy clubs, but they still can be competitive. Given the Eagles disaster, they should be able to bring in a few of the better players from over and push themselves into the middle near next year.

21. Blues ECNL – They lost talent to Academy, but they are still a decent team that could beat most non-Academy/non ENCL teams. They are off to a terrible start, including a disappointing loss to Sharks, but hopefully BH can build the team back up to close to where it has been the past few seasons.

22. LA Premier Academy – They had a tough league schedule to start the season as they basically played all of the top teams. Thus, there is a lot of potential for them to turn around their 0-5 start. While they seem to have holes at several positions and do not play well together, in the past few games, they have been able to at least stay close to the top teams. This may bode well for them as they move to weaker competition.

23. Rebels -- #2 team in CSL Premier has had some ups and downs. After a somewhat disappointing summer, they played Surf close and have a solid hold on second place in league. It will be interesting to see if they can hold onto 2nd and even more interesting to see how they do against San Diego Black in League Cup. I am hoping for that matchup at some point.

24. San Diego United Black – Third best CSL team is from the Gold division. They are destroying their league opponents with 26 goals in 6 games. They barely lost to IE Surf and Blues ECNL, tied AC Brea (3rd in Premier), and beat Albion Academy, CZ Elite, and LA Premier DPL. They should have been in Premier and I expect a strong showing from them in League Cup. It’s always fun to see lower level teams take out higher ones.

25. Pateadores Academy – The worst Academy team not named Eagles is still one of the best 25 teams in So. Cal. That’s how strong the Academy teams are. They still have not scored a goal and I expect them to struggle all season. Their games against LA Premier and Eagles should give them a shot at a goal or more. They did score 11 against Burlingame at Surf Cup, so they have players that can score the ball.

Honorable mentions: San Diego Orange, CZ Elite, AC Brea, BYSC, Santa Monica United, Simi Valley Eclipse, Slammers VT, Beach Lohn, Slammers HB, Murrieta Surf, Slammers Whittier Alvarez, SGV Surf, Notts.

24. San Diego United Black – Third best CSL team is from the Gold division. They are destroying their league opponents with 26 goals in 6 games. They barely lost to IE Surf and Blues ECNL, tied AC Brea (3rd in Premier), and beat Albion Academy, CZ Elite, and LA Premier DPL. They should have been in Premier and I expect a strong showing from them in League Cup. It’s always fun to see lower level teams take out higher ones.

This team could have done well in CSL Premier this season, but unfortunately the powers that be did not see it that way. Glad to see them get a nod.

17. Crescenta Valley – This team came out of nowhere. I am not sure how they improved so much so quickly, but wins over several top teams, including Sharks ECNL, puts them on the map. They are demolishing their Europa competition with 23 goals for and 0 against. They beat the second place team 5-0 (SGV Surf). SGV Surf might have made the list if not for that loss. This team has the talent to turn into another San Diego Navy if it stays together.

Crescenta Valley was one of the teams that benefited greatly from the breakup of one of last years first place CSL gold teams. They are good.

Also, SGV Surf played this game without their keeper, utilizing 2 field players as backups. The girls who stepped up gave it their best shot but SGV Surf's keeper plays a major role in their game plan.

SD Orange lost a couple of quality recruits at beginning of season to newly formed ECNL and DPL teams, but happy to see our name among the elites.

DA Thanks for the input and effort providing all this information on teams.

A couple minor points:

Blues is not significantly better than say the top 10 teams. I believe that have played only 1 team in your top ten and won 1/0 against west coast. The meat of their schedule is coming and we will see how they fair. However, I would rank them #1 currently.

I wouldn't even consider NAvy in top #5 especially since they are playing only left overs from B and C teams in SCSDl.

Lastly, W/L is not as significant as you mentioned for college recruiting. Yes it helps, but being on say a 500 record team and playing same competition is just as good. What's most significant for recruiting is their specific positional needs and individual talent.

A couple minor points:

Blues is not significantly better than say the top 10 teams. I believe that have played only 1 team in your top ten and won 1/0 against west coast. The meat of their schedule is coming and we will see how they fair. However, I would rank them #1 currently.

I wouldn't even consider NAvy in top #5 especially since they are playing only left overs from B and C teams in SCSDl.

Lastly, W/L is not as significant as you mentioned for college recruiting. Yes it helps, but being on say a 500 record team and playing same competition is just as good. What's most significant for recruiting is their specific positional needs and individual talent.

I agree with your comments.

With respect to Blues, I think they are significantly above everyone in terms of rankings right now, since they are undefeated and have outscored their opponents 21-0, but I agree with you that the top 5-10 teams are all pretty close and Blues could lose to any of them. That's why I said I was excited to watch them play the other top teams.

Navy recently beat both Arsenal and Heat, the top two ECNL teams. They also lost to Hawks and IE Surf, however they were short in at least one of those games. They definitely could be ranked lower, but they need to be above the ECNL teams since they handily beat the 2 number 1 teams. The trick is figuring out where the non Academy teams fit into the list. Watching Navy play, I think that's where they belong, but like all the teams on the list, they could easily lose to anyone below them. I would also feel very comfortable putting them at 6 behind the top 5 Academy teams, and I probably should have done that. Most teams could easily go a few places in either direction. There are limited data points to figure out where the non academy teams fit in since Academy only plays Academy. Albion lost to Hawks, tied IE Surf, and barely beat Notts, LA Premier lost to IE Surf. There is not much else to go on.

With respect to team records. I agree they are not that important. I did not mean to say being on a 500 team or even a 7-20 team is a problem. I was trying to say that I do not think it is good to be on a bad team. I consider bad to be one of the bottom 3 or 4 teams, not a middle of the pack team. Right now, I would call the three 0-5 teams bad. Real is border line bad (though their record looks okay). The season will tell if any of the bottom 3 make it out of the bad category. If I was a scout, if Eagles and the others were still 0-x or 4-21 at the end of the season, I would not be really interested in watching them play next summer. While they could have some good players, I would question why those good players have not found another team.

Good list. Seems fair balanced and representative of the teams out there. It will be interesting to see how things progress as the newly formed teams get more acquainted with each other. Nice to see dds team in the top 10. Doing fine, and enjoying journey.

Id like to see this list toward the end of the season. As far as DA vrs ECNL Teams and the level or quality of play, Anyone that saw the Blues DA team scrimmage the Strikers ECNL Team, that question was answered.

Id like to see this list toward the end of the season. As far as DA vrs ECNL Teams and the level or quality of play, Anyone that saw the Blues DA team scrimmage the Strikers ECNL Team, that question was answered.
When did this take place?? DA teams are not supposed to play non DA teams. What age group??

A couple minor points:

What specific age group is your ranking? Did you group all the age groups? Not sure, maybe I missed that on another page.

Only 2003.

Interesting that you left DPL teams out. Not saying that any DPL team deserve to be on the list. But I do believe there are some good players in DPL that could make a difference. Will be interesting to see how Many of these players stay with DPL next year.

^
From the original post.

Did not include any DPL teams because these teams are generally B or C teams and did not do well against any of the teams on this list in the games played.

- It is not a rank of individual players, but of the teams as whole.

Updated through 10/17

Some big games in DA really changes the table. I have included DA team records and goals for/against here now.

1. SD Galaxy Academy (4-0-2; 10,4) – Only undefeated Academy team takes the top spot with key tie against Surf. Big difference from the 7-1 loss at Surf cup. Had this team highly ranked to start the season, but I never thought they would get to #1.

2. Legends Academy (4-1-1; 24, 8) – The top teams are so close and Legends pulls off minor upset against Blues. The top scorers on both teams did not disappoint as both 13 and 17 found the net, but Legends found it one more time.

3. Blues Academy (5-1; 22, 2) – From clear number 1 to number 3 in a week. Still a formidable team with a great record and strong defense.

4. Surf Academy (3-1-2; 13, 8) – So talented, but not putting up the results. They are still just a few wins away from taking the number 1 spot.

5. San Diego Navy – Still dominating the 2002 Champions Division at SCDSL.

6. Beach Academy (4-1-1; 11,7) – Team had one tough loss, but has turned it on since. Biggest mover on the Board as they keep winning.

7. Arsenal ECNL – Tie with Strikers keeps them where they are.

8. Strikers ECNL – Another top ECNL team that knows how to win. They had one of the strongest teams last year. While they lost a little talent, they still are very strong. Tie with Arsenal keeps them where they are.

9. Albion Academy (3-1-2; 6,8) – Another win pushes them up the list.

10. W. Coast Academy (3-3-1; 12, 11) – Win over hapless LA Premier and loss to del Sol knocks them down several notches.

11. I.E. Surf Premier – Still dominating CSL. Perfect season looks likely.

12. TVH Hawks – The top 2003 SCDSL team is tearing up the league (Navy is playing and destroying in the 02 bracket). Tie with Slammers moves them down a notch. Still likely to win SCDSL. Great performance thus far in CRL as well.

13. Slammers Academy (3-2-1; 8,8) -- Potential to shoot up the list with a few good wins.

14. LA Galaxy Academy (3-2; 14,10) – Close loss to Albion pushes their record and ranking down to where it likely should be.

15. Del Sol Academy (3-3; 19, 17) – Nice weekend gets them back to 500.

16. Crescenta Valley – 29 goals for and 0 against. Still impressive even if it is against weaker competition.

17. Slammers ECNL – Slammers B team is gaining on its sister team with win over Surf.

18. Del Mar Sharks ECNL – A lot of potential to improve.

19. Surf ECNL – Not the result they were hoping for this weekend.

20. Real So Cal Academy (2-4; 4,9) – Another loss makes them clearly a bottom 4 Academy team.

21. Blues ECNL – Nice weekend could be the start of a turn around.

22. LA Premier Academy (0-6; 3, 20) – They get the gift of Eagles next weekend to hopefully turnaround their season.

23. Rebels -- Another close loss to IE Surf keeps them where they are.

24. San Diego United Black – 30 goals in 7 games. They are in the wrong league. Looking forward to League Cup.

25. Slammer VT -- 2nd place in Champions. Tie against Hawks puts them on the list.

Honorable mentions: San Diego Orange, CZ Elite, AC Brea, BYSC, Santa Monica United, Simi Valley Eclipse, Beach Lohn, Slammers HB, Murrieta Surf, Slammers Whittier Alvarez, SGV Surf, Notts, Pats Academy, Eagles Academy

Updated through 10/17

Some big games in DA really changes the table. I have included DA team records and goals for/against here now.

1. SD Galaxy Academy (4-0-2; 10,4) – Only undefeated Academy team takes the top spot with key tie against Surf. Big difference from the 7-1 loss at Surf cup. Had this team highly ranked to start the season, but I never thought they would get to #1.

2. Legends Academy (4-1-1; 24, 8) – The top teams are so close and Legends pulls off minor upset against Blues. The top scorers on both teams did not disappoint as both 13 and 17 found the net, but Legends found it one more time.

3. Blues Academy (5-1; 22, 2) – From clear number 1 to number 3 in a week. Still a formidable team with a great record and strong defense.

4. Surf Academy (3-1-2; 13, 8) – So talented, but not putting up the results. They are still just a few wins away from taking the number 1 spot.

6. Beach Academy (4-1-1; 11,7) – Team had one tough loss, but has turned it on since. Biggest mover on the Board as they keep winning.

8. Strikers ECNL – Another top ECNL team that knows how to win. They had one of the strongest teams last year. While they lost a little talent, they still are very strong. Tie with Arsenal keeps them where they are.

10. W. Coast Academy (3-3-1; 12, 11) – Win over hapless LA Premier and loss to del Sol knocks them down several notches.

12. TVH Hawks – The top 2003 SCDSL team is tearing up the league (Navy is playing and destroying in the 02 bracket). Tie with Slammers moves them down a notch. Still likely to win SCDSL. Great performance thus far in CRL as well.

13. Slammers Academy (3-2-1; 8,8) -- Potential to shoot up the list with a few good wins.

14. LA Galaxy Academy (3-2; 14,10) – Close loss to Albion pushes their record and ranking down to where it likely should be.

16. Crescenta Valley – 29 goals for and 0 against. Still impressive even if it is against weaker competition.

17. Slammers ECNL – Slammers B team is gaining on its sister team with win over Surf.

20. Real So Cal Academy (2-4; 4,9) – Another loss makes them clearly a bottom 4 Academy team.

22. LA Premier Academy (0-6; 3, 20) – They get the gift of Eagles next weekend to hopefully turnaround their season.

24. San Diego United Black – 30 goals in 7 games. They are in the wrong league. Looking forward to League Cup.

25. Slammer VT -- 2nd place in Champions. Tie against Hawks puts them on the list.

Honorable mentions: San Diego Orange, CZ Elite, AC Brea, BYSC, Santa Monica United, Simi Valley Eclipse, Beach Lohn, Slammers HB, Murrieta Surf, Slammers Whittier Alvarez, SGV Surf, Notts, Pats Academy, Eagles Academy

Who did Legends lose to?

Updated through 10/17

Important to look at what club each team has had to play against and how many games they have played. Seems a little skewed.

I just checked DA standings and Legends have not lost a game. The true #1 team is Legends 03 Academy right now. They beat the Blues and scored 2 goals on a team that hasn't gave up any goals all season.

Updated through 10/17 (Corrected -- Legends/Galaxy switch due to recording error -- thanks LA4Life)

1. Legends Academy (5-0-1; 24, 8) – The top teams are so close and Legends pulls off minor upset against Blues. The top scorers on both teams did not disappoint as both 13 and 17 found the net, but Legends found it one more time. Had Legends losing a game, which was incorrect. Undefeated, best record, and beat former number one, they deserve the top spot. They still have some of the tough teams to play, so they will have to work to hold onto the top spot. The team definitely can score.

2. SD Galaxy Academy (4-0-2; 10,4) – One of two undefeated Academy teams gives them the #2 spot with key tie against Surf. Big difference from the 7-1 loss at Surf cup. Had this team highly ranked to start the season, but I never thought they would get this close to #1.

Back