Age Split.....What are you going to do?

On topic. If they keep the age band and add the pilot program, its just to keep the girls from leaving the program and the clubs. Not hard to see.

Someone asked why would we have our kids in the "restrictive" DA not really meant for most kids.

Every kid has a different reason. Let's start with the fact high school sports are restrictive for some kids also.

We went to high school games. What we witnessed were high rated players not playing the same as when in the club environment. The game was fast, but ultra direct with very little build up. The tackles were over the top aggressive. Every game featured 2 to 3 fights, multiple yellow cards and at least one red card. The high school game was just violent for no reason.

Now we have watched a lot of ladies college games live. US Womens, UCLA, USC, Stanford, CS Fullerton, CS Long Beach, Pepperdine, Princeton, North Carolina, etc.... We have never seen the aggressive play that was happening on the high school level. The ball was always in the air and the pacing was simple... Go!

We asked her what she wanted to do and she said DA. She wanted a play style and curriculum that fit how she wanted to practice, learn, develop and play. She had done the Go style for a lot of seasons and it fits her physically, but not mentally. She wanted more sophistication and better varied pacing. She understands she isn't considered a US National team prospect, but the universities seem to like her. The DA allows her to showcase her ability to control the game as a midfielder offensively and defensively.

So on a personal level she has gotten what she wants from the system and wants to continue. The main issue is there are so many girls who have been trained to play the Go style on her team, the journey is slower. Our team doesn't comprehend that we can be extremely effect by slowing down a bit and simply moving the ball, connecting passes and moving off the ball and connecting. It looks like we are attempting to play the go style with the DA tactics without understanding the DA tactics and falling way short.

This doesn't stop my girl from excelling in what she does and the universities she is interested in have taken notice. We started this journey with the goal of her earning the college scholarship and this system works for her.

Plenty of universities will still find girls through the high schools and other programs. There are tons of play styles throughout the land and if DA doesn't fit your girls strengths, another will.

So the age split is not happening. Our club announced separate coaches for 03 and 02.
Good news. Will this pilot be allowed to participate in the showcases and standings? Frontier teams doing this pilot this year, to my knowledge, were not in showcases or standings kept.

From the Del Sol site it looks like the split and the pilot program are both happening.

Mat Evans
U-16/17 (2003/2002) DA Coach
U-16 (2003) DA Pilot Coach

So does that make the Pilot Team a 'Second' Team?
I wonder if the 03/02 is basically an 02 team (with a couple of 03s) and most 03s land in the 03 pilot program.

And what exactly is the pilot program testing? Testing to see if parents like the fact that there are more spots for their kid at that age? OK...I know that answer.

What else are they looking at in the pilot program?

So does that make the Pilot Team a 'Second' Team?

Who knows at this point? Following the trend we pointed out early in the thread, any combo team will be older kid heavy. Have to think thats why they created the single age pilot program. Will be interesting to find out.

This looks to me like more of the same, Nothing changing , except more marketing for another Name For a "B" team.

I think it depends on the club. Is it really a B team at a winning club who has a high level of 02 players and the two 03s on the combo team are National team or highly ranked players.

I say no.

If the 02 team is stock full of olders with a few youngers and the team is lower than middle of the pack then in a way yes.

It's hard to say this a way to have a glorified B team when the numbers show the combo teams are not only mostly older girls, but the olders also have most of the starts.

Talent is nice, but reality is a year of maturity & development in a teenage girl goes a long way mentally and physically with the emphasis on MENTALLY.

So would you expect a player to play a year of DA a and then gladly step down to DPL? She most likely could and would go play on a top ECNL team and feel more love. US Soccer doesnt want that. May be they realized So Cal and the Frontier have a lot of 03s that would most likely leave and not come back. To be honest, that may not be a bad thing for a lot of them. A lot of kids are struggling playing this style of soccer. IT WOULD be a bad thing for the DA and the public's perception of the Girls DA program.

If it really is about development of the players, they have to appear to provide the best environment for that development. Kicking kids to the curb after one year sure the heck isn't it.

I think it depends on the club. Is it really a B team at a winning club who has a high level of 02 players and the two 03s on the combo team are National team or highly ranked players.

I say no.

If the 02 team is stock full of olders with a few youngers and the team is lower than middle of the pack then in a way yes.

It's hard to say this a way to have a glorified B team when the numbers show the combo teams are not only mostly older girls, but the olders also have most of the starts.

Talent is nice, but reality is a year of maturity & development in a teenage girl goes a long way mentally and physically with the emphasis on MENTALLY.

So would you expect a player to play a year of DA a and then gladly step down to DPL? She most likely could and would go play on a top ECNL team and feel more love. US Soccer doesnt want that. May be they realized So Cal and the Frontier have a lot of 03s that would most likely leave and not come back. To be honest, that may not be a bad thing for a lot of them. A lot of kids are struggling playing this style of soccer. IT WOULD be a bad thing for the DA and the public's perception of the Girls DA program.

If it really is about development of the players, they have to appear to provide the best environment for that development. Kicking kids to the curb after one year sure the heck isn't it.

I think it's a better idea and gives a great option to the majority of the 03's that won't make an 02/03 combo team.. let's get real, maybe 3-4 03's will be on those rosters.

What it also does is give the 'pilot' team players continuity within the club and keeps them playing in the DA system.

I applaud this effort and think it's the correct route.

So top 03 players go play DA 02/03, 2nd best play on Pilot DA (no HS). What's the path for DPL 03 at this point?

So top 03 players go play DA 02/03, 2nd best play on Pilot DA (no HS). What's the path for DPL 03 at this point?

Figure the same path if they aren't "DA Ready". No different than if they weren't "ECNL Ready" and they went to their 2nd tier league.

I think it's a better idea and gives a great option to the majority of the 03's that won't make an 02/03 combo team.. let's get real, maybe 3-4 03's will be on those rosters.

What it also does is give the 'pilot' team players continuity within the club and keeps them playing in the DA system.

I applaud this effort and think it's the correct route.
Agree but wasn’t that the point of DPL, just goes to show that DA was never onboard with the whole DPL idea. And if this happens I say DPL will just need to disappear. Or what do you think will happen?

DPL 03 becomes third best team in that particular club, so in the old days this would be a power houses club’s C team. At this point you would be better off on a smaller Clubs A team.

sdsc Navy, ie surf, Temecula hawks all have great A teams killing the competition at the non-academy level. Look at CRL standings and curious to see national cup results at the 03 level.

Back