Age Split.....What are you going to do?

HaveFun

BRONZE
Now that DA ID dates are coming and the 2003's will now have to mix with 02's for the U17's and the 2001's will now have to mix with the 2000's for the U19's.
Clubs will be pressed to retain quality kids that are on their current DA team but for some reason or another don't make next years U17 or U19 team.

What have you heard from your club and what will you do if your kids doesn't make the team. I don't wish this on anyone's DD but unfortunately it's going to happen.

I heard some 03's in DA will get pushed down to to DPL. Pushing down existing DPL 03's to SCDSL or CSL. Its going to be another interesting tryouts season as some Academy players will no longer be Academy and some DPL players will no longer be DPL. To make it worse Academy does not end until Mid June/July so existing DPL players will be in Limbo after national cup, until Academy is done and they push down existing academy players to finalize rosters.

Now that DA ID dates are coming and the 2003's will now have to mix with 02's for the U17's and the 2001's will now have to mix with the 2000's for the U19's.
Clubs will be pressed to retain quality kids that are on their current DA team but for some reason or another don't make next years U17 or U19 team.

The 2002/2003 group is the only one likely to be affected as most 2000s are seniors this year. So the 2001s will move up to U19 fairly seamlessly I bet (from what I'm hearing quite a few teams already had their 2001s and sometimes their 2002s guesting with the current U19 group occasionally so I think that age group may not have had enough quality players already). It does seem likely that the current 2002 DPL teams will mostly take over the U17 group with a few 2003s and the rest of the 2003s will "encouraged" to play DPL for a year.

I heard some 03's in DA will get pushed down to to DPL. Pushing down existing DPL 03's to SCDSL or CSL. Its going to be another interesting tryouts season as some Academy players will no longer be Academy and some DPL players will no longer be DPL. To make it worse Academy does not end until Mid June/July so existing DPL players will be in Limbo after national cup, until Academy is done and they push down existing academy players to finalize rosters.
Yup, another fun year!

For the dual ECNL / DA clubs (Blues, Slammers, Surf, WC) does anyone think this will help "balance out" the vacuum the initial year of DA caused when many full ECNL rostered teams were simply moved over to DA? More specifically, will it help those ECNL age groups stripped of a lot of talent, rebuild?

Heard from the rumor mill that DA/USSF is considering making the '02 and '03 their own age groups again. Anyone else hear this? Heard the big power clubs went to Chicago to advocate against the combined age groups, but I thought USSF was pretty adamant about this. Since Tryout emails and posts are starting to come out, what are players supposed to think and do? More change or just rumor?

In the Southwest conference it was something like only 7 out of the 12 teams submitted a petition. The bottom line is most of the country doesn’t want it. Would be great to see happen but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Very few of the players in the GDA system are ever going to be even remotely considered for any type of national team trial. There are other routes for ordinary high level players to prepare for college soccer. Families seem to be aware of flaws in the GDA system for ordinary high level players. I am curious as to why families with ordinary high level players choose to participate in a system that is not designed with their players’ needs in mind? Is it that there aren’t other coaching or club options in your area? Is there some other benefit that is not being discussed in this thread? Nothing creates stress more than constant change. Constant change seems to be the thing that GDA players uniquely experience over players playing in other leagues. What is so great about the GDA that it is worth committing some pretty special years to having to deal with the anxiety caused by such artificial and pointless stresses?

Stress can be a good thing. So is competition. It makes you work harder and good things can come from that. If you want to play in college you need to be seen. Playing on the highest level team will always be a good way to get that exposure. My has worked hard and earned the opportunity to play DA. She has chosen to do that since she enjoys the competition and the intensity. She is doing this even though she might chose not to play college soccer and instead focus on her degree.

In the Southwest conference it was something like only 7 out of the 12 teams submitted a petition. The bottom line is most of the country doesn’t want it. Would be great to see happen but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
Financially it’s tough to add another DA team

Be nice if it could be about the players and not the bottom line... and I'm sure most families would pony up to make it work anyway.
No one is in business to loose money and adding another DA team would most likely raise overall Club dues to make up the shortfall.

“Is your DD helping to fund a DA Team” would be the title of that new thread!

When will we hear if the current age-bracketing rule has been replaced or not?

Stress can be a good thing. So is competition. It makes you work harder and good things can come from that. If you want to play in college you need to be seen. Playing on the highest level team will always be a good way to get that exposure. My has worked hard and earned the opportunity to play DA. She has chosen to do that since she enjoys the competition and the intensity. She is doing this even though she might chose not to play college soccer and instead focus on her degree.

This is how you described your decision in another thread about the problems with DPL. “Understand but that’s not me. I live in Ventura Co where besides DA, DPL was the next best option since there is no ECNL nor strong teams in other leagues.“

I am wondering about the decisions being made by families that actually have choices. There are many non-DA teams that provide competitive environments that prepare players for college soccer in many places in Southern California.

This is how you described your decision in another thread about the problems with DPL. “Understand but that’s not me. I live in Ventura Co where besides DA, DPL was the next best option since there is no ECNL nor strong teams in other leagues.“

I am wondering about the decisions being made by families that actually have choices. There are many non-DA teams that provide competitive environments that prepare players for college soccer in many places in Southern California.

Yes DPL was less a choice and more just the best option due to our local. DA was a choice.

Be nice if it could be about the players and not the bottom line... and I'm sure most families would pony up to make it work anyway.
If it was about the players, DA teams would be evenly
dispersed throughout Socal based on accessibility and population or even team entitlement like the boys.

No one is in business to loose money and adding another DA team would most likely raise overall Club dues to make up the shortfall.

“Is your DD helping to fund a DA Team” would be the title of that new thread!
Well you have no problem with them funding your 04 DA team, do you? How would you like it if that suddenly became a dual age band 03/04 team??? :rolleyes:o_O:p

Besides, my point was that- at the paid academies- the 03 DA participants would probably be willing to pay the overage anyway.

Last edited:
Back