Academy II

drtbkchic

BRONZE
My DD is currently trying out for DA. She has made it to the third round of DA try outs. We were told however that her club already had the Academy I team picked prior to the tryouts. They are trying out for the Academy II which we are being told has no direct line to the Uswnt like the Academy I team does. She is an 02. Anyone know if this is true regarding the Academy II team?

My DD is currently trying out for DA. She has made it to the third round of DA try outs. We were told however that her club already had the Academy I team picked prior to the tryouts. They are trying out for the Academy II which we are being told has no direct line to the Uswnt like the Academy I team does. She is an 02. Anyone know if this is true regarding the Academy II team?
Read up on previous thread regarding this topic;

http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/girls-daii.2475/

Curious as to what club? I'm guessing that US Soccer NT and GDA may be a two way street in the long run? Maybe that's the intention? I would think that DPL/AII would certainly have great opportunities for exposure but remember it is NOT officially sanctioned by US Soccer but instead a division of a SoCal league....at least that is my understanding. Still curious about club your DD is looking at.

I'm iffy to say. My DD just made the tier 1 team for her club and that had drama in and of itself. However we were told this about the DA by the Director of the Girls Division of her club as well as her club coach. Kind of sounded like they didn't want to lose a paying customer which I get. But not sure who to believe. It's weird because she is trying out for the DA through the club she is currently on and I'm not sure why the backlash against their own club.

I'm iffy to say. My DD just made the tier 1 team for her club and that had drama in and of itself. However we were told this about the DA by the Director of the Girls Division of her club as well as her club coach. Kind of sounded like they didn't want to lose a paying customer which I get. But not sure who to believe. It's weird because she is trying out for the DA through the club she is currently on and I'm not sure why the backlash against their own club.
Though I think you should also put great emphasis on finding the right coach to train your DD, I can see your dilemma. Hickey herself said she doesn't necessarily believe the "tryout" is the best way to find talent. So don't be offended or put off that your club already selected / invited players for their GDA team. A Slammers or Surf or Blues is gonna populate the greater portion of their teams with their stellar ECNL players, many of which are NT regulars. Keep at it but make sure you are seeking a great coach and supplement with a good private technical trainer. It's always good to have the tech and first touch well in your pocket. Then the great coaches / teams will find your DD.

If your DD is an 02. Then she is currently a HS freshmen or rising sophomore this fall. Your main concern shouldn't be Development Players circuit (DA B teams) or the idea of a direct line to WNT. You should be more focused about which club/team will give your DD the greatest opportunities for college exposure, if she wants to play college soccer.

IMO, a 1st year B team only closed league which college coaches have no idea about...is the poor choice. I highly recommend, you look for Girls DA team (A team) or ECNL team.

Hmm all great points. However we were told that the GDA also was a way to get college looks as well. My daughter currently plays for a club that does not offer ECNL. We were told the Tier 1 team will put them at college showcases, etc. We were previously at Arsenal, but when the ages matrix changed we were without a coach. We ran out of time time and after getting the run around left for a different club. Now DD is happy with this club but with college being a concern we want to make sure we are using all our options. I'm new to this forum and reading through all the posts confuses me. My husband played soccer from youth through hs. College wasn't an interest for him. My son played club and hs as well but also wasn't interested in college. My DD is. Has been playing since she was 4 so we are trying to figure all this out. I thank you all very much for your input. It is really appreciated.

The DA team was picked prior to the tryouts or the 3rd tryout? I am surprised a club already had their DA team fully picked out, especially a club that does not have ECNL. Sounds like Pats? They have some interesting transfers coming in for their 01/02 DA team. I guess fully funded was the ticket.

Hmm all great points. However we were told that the GDA also was a way to get college looks as well. My daughter currently plays for a club that does not offer ECNL. We were told the Tier 1 team will put them at college showcases, etc. We were previously at Arsenal, but when the ages matrix changed we were without a coach. We ran out of time time and after getting the run around left for a different club. Now DD is happy with this club but with college being a concern we want to make sure we are using all our options. I'm new to this forum and reading through all the posts confuses me. My husband played soccer from youth through hs. College wasn't an interest for him. My son played club and hs as well but also wasn't interested in college. My DD is. Has been playing since she was 4 so we are trying to figure all this out. I thank you all very much for your input. It is really appreciated.

By this post, you reside in the IE. If your at a club that offers Girls DA, but not ECNL. Then you are with Legends.

Your family needs to research the Legends B teams and see where their B team players have committed. If you are okay with the schools the B teams players have committed to which are most likely NAIA (e.g. Vanguard), D3 (e.g. Claremont Colleges-top notch academic schools) and D2 (e.g. Cal Poly Pomona and Azusa Pacific). Then you should remain at the club.

If, your DD's goal is for a D1 mid-major school such as UCI, UC Davis, Cal State Fullerton, etc. Then your DD should play for a Girls DA (A team) or an ECNL team (for the college exposure). Keep in mind, whatever decision your family makes. There is no guarantee, she will get an offer to her #1 or maybe #2 school.

By this post, you reside in the IE. If your at a club that offers Girls DA, but not ECNL. Then you are with Legends.

Your family needs to research the Legends B teams and see where their B team players have committed. If you are okay with the schools the B teams players have committed to which are most likely NAIA (e.g. Vanguard), D3 (e.g. Claremont Colleges-top notch academic schools) and D2 (e.g. Cal Poly Pomona and Azusa Pacific). Then you should remain at the club.

If, your DD's goal is for a D1 mid-major school such as UCI, UC Davis, Cal State Fullerton, etc. Then your DD should play for a Girls DA (A team) or an ECNL team (for the college exposure). Keep in mind, whatever decision your family makes. There is no guarantee, she will get an offer to her #1 or maybe #2 school.
Where was your Daughters college on her list?

The DA team was picked prior to the tryouts or the 3rd tryout? I am surprised a club already had their DA team fully picked out, especially a club that does not have ECNL. Sounds like Pats? They have some interesting transfers coming in for their 01/02 DA team. I guess fully funded was the ticket.
Not surprising at all, IMO. Most DA clubs have the teams slotted already. Tryouts are a formality, or to find 1 or 2 new impact type players. They'll keep the roster numbers down a couple for any possible migration after National Cup. Otherwise it's about getting teams set, paid and looking forward.

Was your DD offered the designation of DP for the DA team? At least this designation speaks to how they view your player, as well as provide her a handful of opportunities to play with the full DA team. Don't get confused with DAII or DPL league being the same designation. Clubs are allowed a certain number of DP's to be designated, if I am correct, and they will appear as such on the roster. Those DP's are monitored and tracked very closely and are not to be taken lightly by the club, from what I understand.

Where was your Daughters college on her list?
Her top 2 were Pepperdine and UDub. Her fallback schools were UCI and UC Davis. All 4 were recruiting her. We were realistic about staying away from Stanford and UCLA as she was NOT a YNT player. Nice try! #lmao

If you need to know, she was recruited as a HS freshmen and committed as a sophomore in the month of Dec.

Her top 2 were Pepperdine and UDub. Her fallback schools were UCI and UC Davis. All 4 were recruiting her. We were realistic about staying away from Stanford and UCLA as she was NOT a YNT player. Nice try! #lmao

All such great schools!!! Very excited for these girls graduating getting to play college next year! Always love hearing all about it while waiting for ours to go (2018) great advice given!!!
Really fun seeing girls my daughter knows in Camarillo this weekend at Pepperdine/UCLA/UCSB game...very very cool!

Back