7v7 was a joke at SURF CUP

silverstreak

SILVER ELITE
1. 6 goals scored by keeper punts
2. several goals scored on direct kickoff shots
3. hardly any goalkeeper distributions out of the back
4. pressure line NOT implemented
5. Poor display of quality soccer or team play (win at all cost mentallity)
6. Throw ins back post....lol

at the end of the day U.S soccer and Surf Cup got it wrong......these girls are too fast, too skilled, too strong to be bottled up and the use of the small sided game was non existent............hence win at all cost ...Ugly Ugly Ugly........survival game.......smash it from anywhere on the field at your chance of a goal.......i talked to several coaches and they were actually apologetic after winning ugly games.....AND THEY SAY THIS IS GOOD FOR OUR KIDS????? blues cup, surf thanksgiving expect many teams at this age to pull out.....good luck

This sounds like an issue with your coach. Your coach could've solved issues 1-6 for your team regardless of what other teams and coaches were doing.

When you say the girls are too fast, too skilled and too strong to be bottled up, you are exactly the problem. If they are so skilled, being bottled up shouldn't be a problem. Making fast and strong skilled kids play small sided is exactly what they need. Win at all cost lies at the feet of your coach, not a message board, a tournament or US Soccer.

This sounds like an issue with your coach. Your coach could've solved issues 1-6 for your team regardless of what other teams and coaches were doing.

When you say the girls are too fast, too skilled and too strong to be bottled up, you are exactly the problem. If they are so skilled, being bottled up shouldn't be a problem. Making fast and strong skilled kids play small sided is exactly what they need. Win at all cost lies at the feet of your coach, not a message board, a tournament or US Soccer.

Anyone who was there feels the exact same way the OP does.

at the end of the day U.S soccer and Surf Cup got it wrong......these girls are too fast, too skilled, too strong to be bottled up and the use of the small sided game was non existent............hence win at all cost ...Ugly Ugly Ugly........survival game.......smash it from anywhere on the field at your chance of a goal.......i talked to several coaches and they were actually apologetic after winning ugly games.....AND THEY SAY THIS IS GOOD FOR OUR KIDS????? blues cup, surf thanksgiving expect many teams at this age to pull out.....good luck

The small-field, small-sided, limited-play game is great for kids who have never played before.

I'll just leave it at that.

Guess you had to be there....not really much to argue.....guarantee plenty will after...like I said....several coaches were at the mercy to play bad soccer....I mean it's surf cup....your not gonna play pretty and lose to prove a point....lol

I watched some of the small field games at Surf Cup. Let's be honest these are above average developed girls. Most all of them were able to shoot from most anywere on the small fields, and the goalies were able to punt the ball on frame. This format may be ok for your beginners to help develope them. But IMHO I dont think it works for our homegrown Socal girls used to playing with their older sisters. Might as well make them play futsal, which most the youngers in SoCal are already accustomed to playing.

I watched some of the small field games at Surf Cup. Let's be honest these are above average developed girls. Most all of them were able to shoot from most anywere on the small fields, and the goalies were able to punt the ball on frame. This format may be ok for your beginners to help develope them. But IMHO I dont think it works for our homegrown Socal girls used to playing with their older sisters. Might as well make them play futsal, which most the youngers in SoCal are already accustomed to playing.

When my older son played Div 7 rec ball, 4v4 on a miniature field, he and several other players in the league could punt the ball the length of the field during their time in goal (one of the rules was that players could only play keeper for half a game at most). Some games boiled down to two strong keepers punting to each other over the heads of their teammates. The next season, the rules were changed so that keepers could not score direct unless they brought the ball up over the midline.

When it was time for my younger son to play, we skipped 4v4 and had him play up on an 8v8 team with his brother.

How did surf cup get it wrong? They're just playing the way most of the country is doing it.

You think it was bad for the girls, it may have been worse on the boys side. Had the the buildout lines and no punting been enforced it might have made it slightly better but it is clear that US Soccer has not thought this through. No offsides on goal kicks so just load up the box and kick downfield and hope for a touch in or a rebound in front of the goal. Shots from the kickoff. Every free kick was a shot taking opportunity. Endless throw-ins. Credit to the couple teams, like TFA, that stayed true to the game of soccer. If US Soccer's goal was promote shot taking from all over the field and kick ball then mission accomplished. US Soccer should promote futsal if they want to encourage touches, not try to turn the outdoor game into futsal with bigger goals and a lighter ball.

You think it was bad for the girls, it may have been worse on the boys side. Had the the buildout lines and no punting been enforced it might have made it slightly better but it is clear that US Soccer has not thought this through. No offsides on goal kicks so just load up the box and kick downfield and hope for a touch in or a rebound in front of the goal. Shots from the kickoff. Every free kick was a shot taking opportunity. Endless throw-ins. Credit to the couple teams, like TFA, that stayed true to the game of soccer. If US Soccer's goal was promote shot taking from all over the field and kick ball then mission accomplished. US Soccer should promote futsal if they want to encourage touches, not try to turn the outdoor game into futsal with bigger goals and a lighter ball.

"true to the game of soccer"?

The point of the game is to put the ball in the other team's goal, and prevent them from doing it to you. All the rest is style.

Those 7v7 fields are tiny. I watched a few of the games going on while my dd's team was warming up. It might be better if they played futsal on these fields versus "regular" soccer. The ball was in the air too much IMHO. Maybe our young players would be better served with the ball on the ground more often, no throw-ins, no goalie punts, etc.

It was fun to watch these little players out there busting their butts. It seems like so long ago that my kid was this age.

How did surf cup get it wrong? They're just playing the way most of the country is doing it.

I think the main point he is making is US Soccer got it wrong. I haven't yet seen a 7v7 game but I can tell you that the field dimensions for 9v9 are considerably smaller than pre-existing 9v9 fields. It makes for a very ugly game with the 05's and 06's if you are playing on the new size fields recommended by USSF. I can't imaging the '04 boys DA playing on these smaller fields - it is going to make for ugly, mucked up games that will not be what anyone is used to.

Maybe it is just an adjustment period everyone has to go through, but I think we will begin to hear more and more about how the changes are being implemented.

"true to the game of soccer"?

The point of the game is to put the ball in the other team's goal, and prevent them from doing it to you. All the rest is style.

I normally don't respond to troll comments, but that is also the same point of water polo, lacrosse, etc but we don't call that soccer. Obviously you weren't there...there wasn't a coach I spoke to that thought what was being played was in the spirit of soccer. "This is a joke" was the common comment I heard.

I coach the 07 surf Hawaii girls team, and I admit the first game I played was purely kickball just to try and win!
It's not how we teach or play soccer, the next two games I decided to just build out from the back and play our POSSESION style.
We lost 2-1 to eagles & tied 1-1 to Colorado!
I personally think the small fields are wrong!
If my younger team makes surf cup next year we won't make the trip to surf cup to play 7v7 kickball!
Bummers

I normally don't respond to troll comments, but that is also the same point of water polo, lacrosse, etc but we don't call that soccer. Obviously you weren't there...there wasn't a coach I spoke to that thought what was being played was in the spirit of soccer. "This is a joke" was the common comment I heard.

I have been saying for months that the new small-side rules proposed by USYSA are a joke.

Agreed it was a JOKE!
Definitely not SOCCER

7v7
Infantil B = 12/13 year olds

This is from a tournament that was on BeinSports just after the rules were announced.

7v7

This is from a tournament that was on BeinSports just after the rules were announced.

And if the Surf Cup fields were as big as La Liga Promises, there would have been no complaints. The fields were tiny. I've seen fields almost as short as Surf Cup but nobody has come close to what they had in terms of length and width.

7v7

To be fair - 7v7 is played in Europe all the way up to older age groups. The difference is that the 7v7 field at La Masia is 60 yards x 40 yards...US Soccer's recommendation for 7v7 field size is 47x30.

As I stated before, this will begin to gather more steam as fields are set up and played with the new format. I will give time to adjust, but so far it has created bad, ugly soccer.

Back