2021 Residential Summer Camps

Hey all. I'm still getting emails advertising summer residential camps, but does anyone think they'll actually happen this summer in California? 16-18 year olds might be vaccinated by summer but anyone younger than that is unlikely to be vaccinated before fall. And the dorms are always a problem for colds (my son has had small ones at various residential camps). Just trying to gather information to set reasonable expectations, not trying to advocate one way or another.

Anyone else considering sending out of state or with the delayed tournaments and state cups will the summer be spent mostly with teams on catchup?

Anyone have any word on what the private residential schools (like Thatcher and Cate) are doing....if they are opening again or strictly non-residential?

Hey all. I'm still getting emails advertising summer residential camps, but does anyone think they'll actually happen this summer in California? 16-18 year olds might be vaccinated by summer but anyone younger than that is unlikely to be vaccinated before fall. And the dorms are always a problem for colds (my son has had small ones at various residential camps). Just trying to gather information to set reasonable expectations, not trying to advocate one way or another.

Anyone else considering sending out of state or with the delayed tournaments and state cups will the summer be spent mostly with teams on catchup?

Anyone have any word on what the private residential schools (like Thatcher and Cate) are doing....if they are opening again or strictly non-residential?

I know that there are residential non-soccer summer camps in California that are enrolling kids. From a COVID-safety perspective, here's what I have seen advertised: Testing prior to, upon arrival, and during the camp session. Stable pods so kids eat, do activities, shower/share restrooms, and room with the same kids etc and there is no mixing. Quarantining requirements are also sometimes mentioned (sometimes for out-of-state campers because of local restrictions). Can't come late to a session.

In many respects, it seems easier to really button things up from the outside world with a residential camp than a day camp, although harder to contain spread within it because of the close and regular contact.

Back