2018-2019 Laws of the Game Changes

Discussion in 'C'mon Ref!' started by Surfref, Jun 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Definitelynotanotherref

Definitelynotanotherref Bronze

Ratings:
    +64 / 3
    I generally agree with what you say. It is definitely a challenge to your authority. You can respond with the card and retain your authority, but I think you can also retain your authority by putting them in their place. If you call them out on their power challenge and challenge them to repeat it, and then they don't, you have essentially exerted your dominance.

Think about it from the team captain point of view. I knew people who would directly challenge the captain. "Why would I listen to you? Just because you wear a colorful band and you lick the coaches balls?" You have the captains that go, "listen to me because I am the captain" (Using cards) and the captains that just naturally lead their teams and don't really need to band to do it. (Using personality). Both are effective.

2. coachrefparent

coachrefparent Silver

Ratings:
    +579 / 16
    A red card is required in this instance. If not warranted in this extreme case, then when? Wait for a player to punch someone (which a player that openly says this to a referee is more likely to do)?Otherwise, you are simply ignoring the laws to uphold your personal biased view of game management.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. coachrefparent

coachrefparent Silver

Ratings:
    +579 / 16
    Cookoo, and a strange fascination with mouths on genitals.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Definitelynotanotherref

Ratings:
    +64 / 3
    Language not mine that I use, Just realistic based on what I hear in games.
    http://www.psychref.org/2018/01/the-referee-as-game-manager.html?m=1#.W2ev9vllA0M
    I am very aware of the laws of the game. I just believe they are flexible in SOME cases. (Basically all the parts of the law that include MUST have to followed to theletter, but those are few). At the risk of appeal to authority, I linked the survey that demonstrates that the higher up the referee, the more they are likely to bend the laws to help game management.

5. Definitelynotanotherref

Ratings:
    +64 / 3
    "It is required only when necessary" is my intentionally vague answer. Consistency is overrated: here is Howard Webb on consistency:
    The Laws of the Game are not an end in and of themselves. They are an arbitrary set of laws authored by IFAB and changed every year. They are not the ultimate good. The game is the ultimate good in this case and the laws only help support the game.

• Like Like x 1