2017 Cal South State Cup

Last week there was 1 issue with an experienced Ref misunderstanding the header rule and applying a DOGSO foul (and Red card) incorrectly. There was also the same tired issue of the parents/managers of the losing team complaining of poor referees, namely the referees allowed the kids to play.
Nothing this week? You were at Galway Downs?

Saw youth referees this weekend, did a great job and should be commended for that. Always questionable decisions from all sides whether you are a coach, parent or player but that is soccer... It is full of opinions of how the LOTG should be enforced.

Young refs on the sideline learning the game is imperative to their future success and we should thank them and applaud them for the energy they put into it.

Everyone always preaches NEVER talking to opposition players regardless of age, why should talking to the ref or sideline ref be any different?

Well done to all the young ladies who played with heart over this weekend! So many passionate players for the game, maybe one day see one or two on the USWNT, maybe not, but what is important is seeing them play right now!!

Young referees are not as much of the problem as are parents and coaches that drive our young referees out of the game. My son (13) and I ref'ed a "President's U11" game last week. He didn't want to AR the "parents" side because ... parents. Can't blame him. Its not as much the parents getting on him as he just doesn't want to hear the abject stupidity of uneducated parents that have no idea what a "handling" foul is or why he didn't raise his flag for a player being in a legitimate offside position that makes no play on the ball or the fact that a kid falls down while challenging for a ball doesn't mean there was a foul.

What you will find with almost all of these "young" referees is they are club players that know the game better than 99% of the parents on the sideline. I'm proud to call them my colleagues. They actually practice and play the game and understand its a contact sport. They know that there is a spectrum of based on the skill of the players. Shoulder charges, pushing between equally sized kids, a little hip check gets called at the Rec level ... but not President's cup.

But there is a something you and all parents that complain about the "young referees" can do:
http://www.calsouth.com/en/referees/how-to-be/

That said, most young referees do suffer from a flaw ... they take too much crap from parents and coaches and don't shut it down quick enough.

Finally, I respectfully disagree with this comment: "...grown adults who curse out teenagers for making bad calls should be ashamed of themselves." These morons should not only be ashamed of themselves ... they should be prohibited from being a spectator in any youth sport activities. There simply is no place at the amateur sports level for any person to verbally abuse another person for making a judgment call.

I appreciate your thoughts. First off, I never believe in blaming the ref. There are plenty of plays in a game which can change the tide, and whether there is a bad call or not, blaming the ref does not teach the kids to take responsibility upon oneself and breeds a sense of entitlement. In essence, it's not the example you want to set to raise independent, strong, well adjusted children. You want them to be able to overcome adversity and be stronger than the situation, and all things being equal, things come around, and you should spend your energy changing those things in your control to affect the result you want rather than blame others.

I have ref'd before and I know how difficult it can be. Especially with ignorant parents. I'm not here to hide behind handles and don't have other propaganda agendas. I am just here to voice what I believe to be reasonable and points all sides can agree upon, so we can all raise the level of a sport we all enjoy.

Having said that, as a veteran of many games, I notice some small areas that could be sharpened by some, not all, refs, which may perhaps give parents a bit more confidence. Parents definitely have their favorites as far as body language and behavior, and they are paying for a fair, evenly referred game. And we all can improve in everything in anything we all do and strive to do from the least to the best. And actually the best always work even harder to improve all the time. It's not a big deal but worth noting so we all reasonably discuss rather than argue or fight.

1) offside call: A player must be offside the moment the ball is played by a teammate. This is tough to call at times because the AR has to be aware when the ball is played. It gives more confidence to sideline when the flag goes up when the ball is played to an active player asap rather than after a goal is scored or after the opposing sideline protests. No big deal either, but a decisive call at time play does build confidence.

2) handball or header call: if it's incidental and a decision where the ball hits the hand or the hand hits the ball (and similarly for the header), I believe consistency in the application of the call is appreciated. I don't see much problem here. No big deal.

3) handling: I feel the same is also true of "handling" also. If the application is consistent, and as long as children aren't getting injured, most parents and coaches are content. Of course, there's always one or two outliers. The problem is if exacerbated when more aggressive play gets out of hand when one team feels the other team is getting away with certain behavior, and since the play is not called, then are able to execute that behavior themselves (or even add-on another behavior). Then the game spirals out of control and it's incumbent on the ref to bring the game back. I've seen this a couple years ago, when several players were injured in a heavily retaliated game of big strong kids and felt some bit of control was needed. Again, no big deal but a point worth making.

Finally, I'd like to agree with MWN that young refs and young players, parents, and coaches that respect the ref are crucial to the future of the game. I feel young refs have much to contribute and should be respected for their dedication and service to the sport. My daughter played in a Latino league where they honored a senior ref for his service to the game and we donated to his package. It's a great reminder of the respect the refs deserve for the difficult job they have. And often the greatest refs are the most unsung and unmentioned members of the entire process, and should be honored or awarded.

All the best and best of luck to the remaining competitors in State Cup.

I appreciate your thoughts. ... I'd like to agree with MWN that young refs and young players, parents, and coaches that respect the ref are crucial to the future of the game. I feel young refs have much to contribute and should be respected for their dedication and service to the sport. ...

When I coached, I would always address "sideline conduct" as follows. Your player is human, they will make mistakes. They will display lousy passes, first touches, and make countless other mistakes during the games. I know you've made mistakes in raising your child. I'll make mistakes in coaching and I absolutely guarantee you that the referees will make mistakes in calling the game. Don't yell, berate or belittle the refs, they, like you are human and while they are trying their best, sometimes their position or angle doesn't allow them to see something that you saw. You have only one job at the game ... positively cheer for the team and your player.

When I coached, I would always address "sideline conduct" as follows. Your player is human, they will make mistakes. They will display lousy passes, first touches, and make countless other mistakes during the games. I know you've made mistakes in raising your child. I'll make mistakes in coaching and I absolutely guarantee you that the referees will make mistakes in calling the game. Don't yell, berate or belittle the refs, they, like you are human and while they are trying their best, sometimes their position or angle doesn't allow them to see something that you saw. You have only one job at the game ... positively cheer for the team and your player.
Thanks for your thoughts. We're both just bloggers here and in the same role --- adding to the conversation here. Never seen you ref and not critical of that in anyway so apologies if any it was taken that way.

Anaheim vs Galaxy game was a great battle between the ladies. Sadly, decided by a ref on a 'handball' call outside the box in the last 20 seconds. Side ref had flag up on an offsides call but it was called off. At the end of the day, both teams fought hard and played with tenacity on some really horrible fields.

Unfortunately, I have most assuredly learned of another coach my daughters will never play for! Actually watched a coach running on the filed and cheering mightily in front of other 06 ladies and then actually screaming at the opposing coach something about 'let's take it to the parking lot.' Oh, and refusing to shake the opposing coaches hand at the end of the game. Nothing but class and a great example!

Also great to see Strikers North making it to the semis! So great to have seen those girls come watch our LAGSB girls play last night and cheering them on after a hard fought battle in the bracket play! Those kids and parents have class. Should be a great rematch with Surf.

Good luck in the semifinals Legends!

Game was NOT decided by the ref!! Both teams were given Free kicks outside of the box and both teams scored on those. As far as the coaching goes the LAGSB coach started complaining and yelling at the Anaheim coach the minute Anaheim scored. The Ref had to walk over to the side line to calm the LAGSB coach down TWICE completely unacceptable behavior in front of 10 year old girls. Both teams played amazing but as always Anaheim came through with the victory. Their front line is incredible and cannot be stopped, they are quick, fierce, relentless and will capitalize on any mistake made. Legends will most certainly be marking Anaheim's two target forwards, hopefully Anaheim's new player from Strikers will step up next weekend for them. Looking forward to a SURF vs. SURF final on Sunday!

Brent is a great person and coach. Best of luck to Anaheim Surf. Coaches coach, players play and administrators administrate.
He has been nothing but great with kids. Shame on anyone to say

Brent is by far the most immature disgusting soccer coach around.He is a horrible coach and horrible role model for the girls he has zero class and is a complete embarrasement to the soccer world. He's lucky he was able to fool such a talented group of girls for the time he did. Hopefully the teams he coaches for speak up and directors and administrators see his true colors very soon.

Brent is a great person and coach. Best of luck to Anaheim Surf. Coaches coach, players play and administrators administrate.
He has been nothing but great with kids. Shame on anyone to say otherwise.

I agree Brent is a great person and coach. He can be intense at times but at the end of the day his girls love him and would not want to play for anyone else.

Young referees are not as much of the problem as are parents and coaches that drive our young referees out of the game. My son (13) and I ref'ed a "President's U11" game last week. He didn't want to AR the "parents" side because ... parents. Can't blame him. Its not as much the parents getting on him as he just doesn't want to hear the abject stupidity of uneducated parents that have no idea what a "handling" foul is or why he didn't raise his flag for a player being in a legitimate offside position that makes no play on the ball or the fact that a kid falls down while challenging for a ball doesn't mean there was a foul.

What you will find with almost all of these "young" referees is they are club players that know the game better than 99% of the parents on the sideline. I'm proud to call them my colleagues. They actually practice and play the game and understand its a contact sport. They know that there is a spectrum of based on the skill of the players. Shoulder charges, pushing between equally sized kids, a little hip check gets called at the Rec level ... but not President's cup.

But there is a something you and all parents that complain about the "young referees" can do:
http://www.calsouth.com/en/referees/how-to-be/

That said, most young referees do suffer from a flaw ... they take too much crap from parents and coaches and don't shut it down quick enough.

Finally, I respectfully disagree with this comment: "...grown adults who curse out teenagers for making bad calls should be ashamed of themselves." These morons should not only be ashamed of themselves ... they should be prohibited from being a spectator in any youth sport activities. There simply is no place at the amateur sports level for any person to verbally abuse another person for making a judgment call.

I understand that you're sticking up for the young guys/girls, so I'm not going to take it personally or freak out about what you said.

I HAVE reffed before and I know it's difficult, so I give them lots of slack. I've never said a single word to any ref of any age except for "Good game ref". You're right, 99% of parents don't understand the basic laws of the game, much less HOW they should be applied and WHEN. Nevertheless bad calls that influenced the games WERE made in the game that my daughter's team won and the game that she lost. We were benefactors just as much as victims.

I do appreciate the youngsters coming out and putting up with crap from the parents.

Game was NOT decided by the ref!! Both teams were given Free kicks outside of the box and both teams scored on those. As far as the coaching goes the LAGSB coach started complaining and yelling at the Anaheim coach the minute Anaheim scored. The Ref had to walk over to the side line to calm the LAGSB coach down TWICE completely unacceptable behavior in front of 10 year old girls. Both teams played amazing but as always Anaheim came through with the victory. Their front line is incredible and cannot be stopped, they are quick, fierce, relentless and will capitalize on any mistake made. Legends will most certainly be marking Anaheim's two target forwards, hopefully Anaheim's new player from Strikers will step up next weekend for them. Looking forward to a SURF vs. SURF final on Sunday!
I'm sorry but there are two mistakes I'd like to point out. The Sunday game will be Legends vs ? And didn't Strikers stop the unstoppable Anaheim Surf in SCDSL?
ummm excuse me but just because you were lucky to squeeze on by LAGSB (with a little help) there is no way you will beat LEGENDS ... sorry not sorry
Also didn't Legends, SD Surf AND Strikers already stop the incredible, unstoppable, quick, fierce, relentless, will capitalize on any mistake Anaheim Surf?

Anaheim Surf was lucky to get the win. LAGSB controlled the majority of the game while Surf tried to boot the ball to their awesome strikers.
On a side note the altercation with the coaches was ridiculous. Surf coach running in circles on the field after they scored the goal to go ahead was classless. His refusal to shake hands with the LAGSB coach was also pretty crappy. Sour ending to a great game.

Back