2017-2018 D1 Women's Soccer Talk!

Bobak you lost me at size. Where would Messi rank? Bobak and the blues credibility comes from recruiting, everyone know that.

Well said.

I can't think of any players who weren't at least "pretty good" at age 13 who became "elite" later on.
Using your Bobak scale to rank a girl's overall game (and I hope this broad generalization makes sense...let's say a 50 is a unicorn, a 45 is an ODP first team starter, and a 30 is at the end of the bench on a good team at age 12 and at age 18 a 50 is a YNT player, a 45 is a starter at a top 25 program, and a 30 is a fringe college depth player at a non power 5 school), I've seen 30s become 40s and I've seen 40s become 50s, but I've never seen a 25 become a 45 or somesuch. Not that it doesn't happen, but I don't remember seeing it. A 10 point jump isn't rare, but anything beyond that is pretty uncommon in my experience.

I've also seen 13 year old 50s become 18 year old 40s (or whatever 10 point dropoff you want to point to on the scale), but unless a girl just gave up the game altogether for another sport, 15 point decreases are also pretty uncommon.

How good a girl is at age 13 doesn't necessarily equate to how good she'll be at age 18, but it's a pretty darn good predictor within a 10 point band or so.
There is a girl my DD played with who not only was probably at the end of the bench at U12 but was not even playing soccer yet. She turned out to be pretty good. I heard she's a starter on an elite D1 team...

So, since DA players are now not allowed to participate in ODP-- and some of the best youngers (11-12) are playing up on DA teams-- how will players be scouted now-- since ODP, even at the youngest ages, will not necessarily reflect all the best players in SoCal anymore? The handful of girls participating in YNTs only represent a small fraction of the talent, at least in SoCal. Will US Soccer expand its program? Will it be on the clubs to promote? On the players and their parents?

Last edited:
So, since DA players are now not allowed to participate in ODP-- and some of the best youngers (11-12) are playing up on DA teams-- how will players be scouted now-- since ODP, even at the youngest ages, will not necessarily reflect all the best players in SoCal anymore?

IMHO The handful of girls participating in YNTs only represent a small fraction of the talent, at least in SoCal. So, if all the rest of the top players previously came mainly from the opinions of the ODP staff, then D1 coaches may need to expand their vision in the near future to find the players they need. How do you predict they will do that? Will US Soccer expand its program? Will it be on the clubs to promote? On the players and their parents?

They will continue to do what they have always done. Go to the top clubs. Go to the top showcases. Talk to coaches who they respect. Go overseas. Honestly only a handful of schools get the vast majority of the YNT players that are still in the system when college comes around. All of the other coaches have had to grind and turn over a bunch of rocks to find players. With 320+ D1 schools and more than double that amount when you add in D2/D3. The Stanford/UCLA/UNC/Duke/Penn St./Notre Dame hegemony for YNT recruits will continue. Everyone else will continue being creative. Lot's of options. This is the golden age for girls soccer and GDA can barely screw it up.

Concussions and ACLs are a huge factor in those that fell off the map

Sounds like your excuse for what is going on at Georgetown. More excuses for why your kid is no longer in the YNT pool and not balling in college.... I don't remember her getting an ACL injury or a concussion. Just stop with the excuses. Some kids are Indians and some are Chiefs. Some got told by mom and dad that they were great (like in your situation) but they were lied to. They were decent or good. If you have to parents that are turkeys you aren't going to get a racehorse....

Sounds like your excuse for what is going on at Georgetown. More excuses for why your kid is no longer in the YNT pool and not balling in college.... I don't remember her getting an ACL injury or a concussion. Just stop with the excuses. Some kids are Indians and some are Chiefs. Some got told by mom and dad that they were great (like in your situation) but they were lied to. They were decent or good. If you have to parents that are turkeys you aren't going to get a racehorse....
Lighten up there Lavar. My kid is doing damn well and will continue. But good on you for throwing another innocent teenage girl under the bus. Your predictability and pure dickheadedness never fail to make an appearance even when posters here are contributing to someone else’s questions. But I give way to the King. The almighty king of the dicks. How was your trip? Getting your daughter set to play in Lithuania too?

Lighten up there Lavar. My kid is doing damn well and will continue. But good on you for throwing another innocent teenage girl under the bus. Your predictability and pure dickheadedness never fail to make an appearance even when posters here are contributing to someone else’s questions. But I give way to the King. The almighty king of the dicks. How was your trip? Getting your daughter set to play in Lithuania too?

Did I touch a nerve? You are going to get tired of being wrong eventually. And anytime you get the huevos you can shut me up in person.... Coward.

2 Turkeys don't make a racehorse. Remember that....

Dave you are getting sloppy. I never mentioned anyone's name. And I am sure that your kid is doing damn well according to you. Post a link so that we can weigh in on how she is doing. I already know how it's going. She played less minutes in the tournament as my daughter played in the first half of her first tournament game. I also remember my kid having to cover for her limited athleticism that last year at Surf.

At least she is at a great academic school and who knows she might play more next year as a junior. I will ask her in August in France. Oh I forgot that she won't be there. Well ce la vie...

Dave you are getting sloppy. I never mentioned anyone's name. And I am sure that your kid is doing damn well according to you. Post a link so that we can weigh in on how she is doing. I already know how it's going. She played less minutes in the tournament as my daughter played in the first half of her first tournament game. I also remember my kid having to cover for her limited athleticism that last year at Surf.

At least she is at a great academic school and who knows she might play more next year as a junior. I will ask her in August in France. Oh I forgot that she won't be there. Well ce la vie...
Such an ignorant tool

What’s funny is that you are such an arrogant narcissistic deuschbag that you just run down this list of people that can’t stand you hoping something sticks

Putting aside the chum in the water, and those who cannot resist it, I would note that we are now in the transition season, and it will be interesting to see what unexpected coaching changes occur. There are relatively few under-performing top programs that need a change, tbut some exist. However, I have heard there may be overperforming programs whose coaches may want to go out on top, and find a different pasture they find greener.

Back