2017-2018 D1 Women's Soccer Talk!

On a side note, as much as SoCal is a hotbed for girls soccer, SoCal softball is even a hotter bed. The final between Oklahoma and Florida has 14 Cali girls (almost all from SoCal), 7 from Florida, 4-Ok, 3-Tx, & 3-Ga. Even in years without a California team, the college World Series (8 teams) usually has triple the number of girls from California than any other state.

If we are doing many things wrong, why do international YNT players keep committing to play D1 womens soccer?

You know the answer. It's the best life option and the only realistic soccer option for women (except Pugh).

On a side note, as much as SoCal is a hotbed for girls soccer, SoCal softball is even a hotter bed. The final between Oklahoma and Florida has 14 Cali girls (almost all from SoCal), 7 from Florida, 4-Ok, 3-Tx, & 3-Ga. Even in years without a California team, the college World Series (8 teams) usually has triple the number of girls from California than any other state.
When my DD was on her official visit last October. At the football game, I was talking to a parent from SoCal. Her DD was there for her unoffical visit. I asked what sport she said, softball. I then asked, what grade....8th grade! She told me Power 5 schools start recruiting softball players at 8th grade and it's not uncommon to see 8th graders committing either.

Just under 7 weeks until training camps start. I'm enjoying the free time but I can't wait. I'm hearing a lot of noise about a few programs. 'SC might be preseason #1 if the NSCAA holds to it's past precedent but I am hearing 3 names come up. Stanford, UCLA and Florida State are names that keep popping up as the bettors favorites. Also heard was North Carolina and Duke. The big darkhorse is looking to be Notre Dame.

I can't wait for August.

I know that USC players are starting in a couple of weeks.

All that they are starting is summer informal workouts. Many schools will be starting those as most of the freshmen in the conference report in two weeks for summer school. I am not sure if this is the case on the Farm but it is most elsewhere in that conference.

Just out of curiosity as my dd is a few years away from all this, but I heard it's becoming (or has been?) common for girls to be asked to graduate early and start playing/training in the spring prior to what would have been their freshman year. Is this true? What happens if the girl decides she wants to finish out her senior year?

Just out of curiosity as my dd is a few years away from all this, but I heard it's becoming (or has been?) common for girls to be asked to graduate early and start playing/training in the spring prior to what would have been their freshman year. Is this true? What happens if the girl decides she wants to finish out her senior year?

I don't think its mandatory (due to NCAA rules). My daughter passed on summer school/informal workouts because of her schedule...and her coaching staff was fine with it as long as she shows up to training camp fit.

18 of our 22 players have committed to schools like Arizona, Cal-Berkeley, Northwestern, ASU, Texas Tech, TCU and others, and I know of only 1 that is going to go that route. Most have stayed in high school and completed their senior year.

Just under 7 weeks until training camps start. I'm enjoying the free time but I can't wait. I'm hearing a lot of noise about a few programs. 'SC might be preseason #1 if the NSCAA holds to it's past precedent but I am hearing 3 names come up. Stanford, UCLA and Florida State are names that keep popping up as the bettors favorites. Also heard was North Carolina and Duke. The big darkhorse is looking to be Notre Dame.

I can't wait for August.
Come on bud you've been in the game way too long. We all know the only No.1 ranking is the one that comes out after the season is over! Wink!

Its really up to the kid. The draft is in December and if they want to play at the next level most don't want to be going to school in the spring. They can always come back to walk graduation in the spring. Mine plans on graduating in 3 1/2 years with a degree and a masters.

Its really up to the kid. The draft is in December and if they want to play at the next level most don't want to be going to school in the spring. They can always come back to walk graduation in the spring. Mine plans on graduating in 3 1/2 years with a degree and a masters.
Are you talking about the transition from HS to college, or college to WPSL? I think the original question had to do with graduating early from HS.

DD was asked to consider graduating HS early and start college in the spring. After considering the work load of her junior year, she opted to complete her senior year of HS rather than graduating early. Her college coach is very understanding and presented the option as an opportunity without pressure.

It really just depends upon the player. My player's team had one player join early last season (she was a JC transfer) and one this season (graduated early). My kid wanted to finish high school and enjoy her last few months with her friends. She went to summer school early and is continuing to do it for the next few years so that she can graduate after the season her senior year.

It really just depends upon the player. My player's team had one player join early last season (she was a JC transfer) and one this season (graduated early). My kid wanted to finish high school and enjoy her last few months with her friends. She went to summer school early and is continuing to do it for the next few years so that she can graduate after the season her senior year.
Agree with MAP. Depends on the kid. Mine had a blast in HS and no way she was missing spring and graduation. She would have done 4 more years! If your kid can't wait to get out then go for it.

Agree with MAP. Depends on the kid. Mine had a blast in HS and no way she was missing spring and graduation. She would have done 4 more years! If your kid can't wait to get out then go for it.
And there is no guarantee reporting to college a semester early to participate in spring college scrimmages means they will play more come fall.

Concur.

6 more weeks until camp starts. Not a ton of time but plenty of time to do some last minute polishing. This will be a fun year.

Think that several local players are going to have a big impact this season. Off hand I can think of at least 6-10 that we will be hearing big things from this fall as freshman.

Back