2017-2018 D1 Women's Soccer Talk!

Crazy last minute transfers....wow...
MAP-- I know you mentioned Amack transferring-- do you know to where?

Vanderbilt. Another top 15 or 20 academic school. She won't be headed there until she graduates next month from Stanford. She is very smart to not give up that Stanford name on her diploma! She will be going to grad school at Vandy.

Crazy last minute transfers....wow...
MAP-- I know you mentioned Amack transferring-- do you know to where?

Amack was most likely a money thing. Paul spends all of his money and probably had the money that she would need for a 5th year already committed to your player's class.

With only a few weeks left in the spring season I wanted to give my thoughts on the top 25 teams. I divided them into 4 different groupings. By my estimates each team in the group is pretty close and would be favored against the teams in the next tier.

Tier 1

Penn St.
North Carolina
Duke
Stanford
UCLA
Florida St.

My money is on one on these 6 teams winning it all. Not a real surprise as these programs are the blue bloods and consistently bring in the lions share of YNT talent year in and year out. Whichever of these teams get hot come October/November will likely be hoisting the trophy in Orlando. All of these teams except North Carolina play nice looking soccer and UNC is capable of it but will do whatever is necessary to win.

Tier 2

Notre Dame
West Virginia
Santa Clara
Utah
Georgetown
Virginia
BYU

All of these teams did well last season and return a good core of players. All of these teams have potential to win the national title but each has an issue that needs resolving before they can do it.

Tier 3

Florida
Long Beach St.
USC
Pepperdine
Colorado
NC State
Texas A&M

This is a talented grouping of teams that each are capable of beating the teams above them on any given day. Each of these teams have a few question marks that need to be addressed in order to really have a shot at making it to Orlando. This is the darkhorse group and my money is on at least one of these teams making a surprise run to the Elite 8.

Tier 4

Arkansas
Cal
Michigan
Auburn
Oklahoma

This is what I call the group of potential. All of these teams either have had recent success or have all of the talent needed to achieve success. It's just a matter of answering a few questions and putting the potential together. The most intriguing team in the group is Cal. They always get top 10 recruiting classes so the talent isn't the issue. Playing consistently week in and week out seems to be their challenge. If they can play to their potential all of the time they could be a contender for a trip to Orlando. If they play inconsistently they could be looking at another first round exit.

I disagree with Georgetown in Tier 2. Watched them play back in March and was NOT impressed. I think BYU is placed properly but on the cusp of being Tier 3.

I disagree with Georgetown in Tier 2. Watched them play back in March and was NOT impressed. I think BYU is placed properly but on the cusp of being Tier 3.

The thing about Georgetown is that they always seem to play well against the better teams, other than Stanford. Regarding BYU they have a first round NWSL player at forward and only a few teams have the ability to match up with her. A team is going to have to hold the ball to beat them.

Its hard to tell in the spring which teams will be strongest in the fall.
I like the general list, and its pretty well thought out.

I would switch BYU and Pepperdine, but of course, Im partial.
BYU lost alot of firepower to graduation last season, and the Waves were co-champs last season in the WCC.
This spring, Pepperdine looked much better against USC and UCLA than last year, and have a solid freshman class coming in.
I put Santa Clara and Pepperdine at the top of the WCC this year.

Its hard to tell in the spring which teams will be strongest in the fall.
I like the general list, and its pretty well thought out.

I would switch BYU and Pepperdine, but of course, Im partial.
BYU lost alot of firepower to graduation last season, and the Waves were co-champs last season in the WCC.
This spring, Pepperdine looked much better against USC and UCLA than last year, and have a solid freshman class coming in.
I put Santa Clara and Pepperdine at the top of the WCC this year.

I agree that it is hard to judge based solely upon spring. There is a lot less pressure, teams work on different formations/tactics and coaches empty their benches. I agree about Pepperdine looking pretty solid. I saw them cause an excellent team to look very disjointed. I thought that they looked better than Santa Clara, however, the Broncos have made a couple of nice adds. I will get to see them and BYU early this August.

The fall season is a little less than 9 weeks away. WPSL is already going. The teams know their schedules (even if they haven't been released to the public yet). This will be a fun year. The College Cup is in Orlando this year. Let's here everyone's thoughts on the season. Who are the teams that could be bound for Orlando? Who is going to win the WCC? Who is going to win the Pac 12? The ACC looks good who is going to be the big dog out there? Are the Trojan's going to go with a 3 back formation? What's with all of the craziness at Long Beach St.? Having 40 players on the roster is pretty crazy.

I know a few teams that are set up for some pretty solid season's. I'm going to enjoy the next 2 months without any soccer but I sure can't wait for August 11th! It's going to be one helluva Friday night game!

The fall season is a little less than 9 weeks away. WPSL is already going. The teams know their schedules (even if they haven't been released to the public yet). This will be a fun year. The College Cup is in Orlando this year. Let's here everyone's thoughts on the season. Who are the teams that could be bound for Orlando? Who is going to win the WCC? Who is going to win the Pac 12? The ACC looks good who is going to be the big dog out there? Are the Trojan's going to go with a 3 back formation? What's with all of the craziness at Long Beach St.? Having 40 players on the roster is pretty crazy.

I know a few teams that are set up for some pretty solid season's. I'm going to enjoy the next 2 months without any soccer but I sure can't wait for August 11th! It's going to be one helluva Friday night game!
What's august 11th?

What's august 11th?

A scrimmage against the best opponent any college team will face all season. Should be a fun game to watch. Also look forward to seeing you on the 15th of September. Not quite the view of last year's soirée and the parking is a few bucks but if you get to the area early their are more options for adult beverages and uber can drop you off right next to the stadium.

How about this weekend's WPSL matches? Beach's roster is a YNT who's who! MAP, is your player healthy? NG, did your player find a WPSL home? Bernie, is your kid playing this weekend?

How about this weekend's WPSL matches? Beach's roster is a YNT who's who! MAP, is your player healthy? NG, did your player find a WPSL home? Bernie, is your kid playing this weekend?

My player is sitting out the next 6-8 weeks to rest her injury. I heard that your player was injured too. I hope that she is healing well. She has a good chance to do big things this year. Good luck to her.

My player is sitting out the next 6-8 weeks to rest her injury. I heard that your player was injured too. I hope that she is healing well. She has a good chance to do big things this year. Good luck to her.

No, she's not injured. She be ready to play this weekend :cool:

6-8 weeks...just in time for when things *really* start getting good! I wouldn't be surprised if she's better sooner with all the rehab resources she will have back at school :)

I dont know if she's playing or not.
A tree fell on her car, and she hasnt made it to practice all week.
Im trying to help her get things squared away, but she doesnt have a ride to LB as it stands.
We're trying to figure something out.

Good news. She's healthy.

We are always reading the international women are catching up to the US Womens team or has passed them. If we are doing many things wrong, why do international YNT players keep committing to play D1 womens soccer?

This Brazillian U15/17 committed to ASU for this coming fall season. We know about Jessie Fleming, Canadian YNT players at West Virginia, FSU with their European international recruits, Colorado signed a New Zealand YNT player for this fall, etc.

Back