2017-2018 CIF SS Girls High School Thread!

Did J Serra really lose or was the score reported inaccurately to Maxpreps? Not to undermine Dana Hills but going into the match they had scored 20 goals and given up 29 whereas J Serra had scored 64 and only conceded 3.....a DH 6-1 win as reported sounds more like a JSerra win misreported in DH favor by accident? Anyone actually go to the match to confirm?

If anyone is surprised that Chuck out coached the Baker brothers they shouldn't be. The Baker brothers recruit athletes and play kickball. That really isn't that hard to defeat.
If his players are just athletes that play kickball then why is UCLA so interested in his players? 50% of the 2020 class is from his team.

If his players are just athletes that play kickball then why is UCLA so interested in his players? 50% of the 2020 class is from his team.

This is interesting so I will answer assuming you really want an answer.

First off there are 5 of 12 players from that team in the recruiting class which is 41.6% not 50% if we are being accurate here. From the 2017 recruiting class there were 5 of 10 players from the Blues (4 of 10 from Randy Dodge's team so similar) so they are a good class to compare them too. Now both of those teams have similar kickball coaches that recruit the best athletes who's parents are willing to drive to the Ranch and they teach them to kick the ball to their best couple of attacking players. Now that strategy works pretty well in club when you have better athletes than the teams that you are playing but at the higher levels of D1 soccer that is not the case.

Next UCLA recruits individual players so in each of these cases these individuals must have liked the offer that they were given. I guarantee that the range of offers went from book money to perhaps some significant money. I also promise you that like the 2017 class you will get a wide range of experiences when it comes to playing time. Out of the 5 Blues players that were freshman this year only 2 played any minutes at all! I would imagine that some will play right away, some will play down the road and some might not play at all. What I have seen is the players that can adapt the best to the possession style that they play will be the ones that get to play. You also have to remember that there are 7 other elite players who are going to be fighting for playing time too.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I am going based upon my player's experience. In her recruiting class (ranked #1 her grad year) the top player never played a regular season game for them, the #2 player has played under 300 minutes in 2 years, the #3 player was a MAC Hermann finalist and a 2 time all-American and the bottom ranked domestic recruit has played more minutes than any field player over the last two years. I guarantee that you are going to be surprised. UCLA and Stanford are like the Hunger Games and only the purple unicorns survive...

If your player is one of them. Good luck to her.

Very informative and interesting information. I agree this is definitely like the Hunger Games. I have always thought what you have done to get recruited may not help you be successful when you get there. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next few years.

Back