2017-2018 CIF SS Girls High School Thread!

Watched Santiago vs Centennial last night. 1-1 tie. Bit disappointed watching. The girls were big and fast, plus had very good first touches, but no clue on passing, playing support, overlapping, shooting to the back post, making runs from the backside, and took an excessive amount of shots from 30 yards out. Expected more. Plus the girls are more physical than what you see in college or pro as the referee's seem to let everything go.

Good ole Chuck.... outstrategized b-bro, who unfortunately still thinks the world is flat.

Pride, goeth before the fallo_O

If anyone is surprised that Chuck out coached the Baker brothers they shouldn't be. The Baker brothers recruit athletes and play kickball. That really isn't that hard to defeat.

Final Sunset League Standings:

1. Los Alamitos (8-0-2)
2. Edison (5-3-2)
3. Marina (5-4-1)
4. Huntington Beach (4-4-2)
5. Fountain Valley (2-7-1)
6. Newport Harbor (1-7-2)

Congrats to Los Al for winning the title, and huge props to Marina for making CIF playoffs (DII) for the first time in a looooooong while (ever?) Lots of ties this season; is this due to the fact that the OT/Golden Goal rule was removed?

Alison Viejo wins South Coast League
San Clemente -2nd
San Juan Hills wins Sea View League, first girls soccer title in the school’s 10 year history.
Trabuco Hills - 2nd

Thank God my daughter's 1st and maybe last HS season is over, I had no idea how bad HS soccer would be.
I know our team wasn't very good, but the cheap, dirty fouls were probably the worst part to see.
The different levels of kids of the field an eye opener as well, just glad she did not get hurt.

I have enjoyed watching what will be the last HS season for my daughter (Junior and she will be moving to DA full time). Though the quality is bad I most say I enjoy the recognition she gets and so does she. It was fun watching her dominate playing a different position. So was winning our league title for the first time in 5 years despite losing several players to DA. Still have CIF but real soccer is coming fast. I must say I will miss not having senior night to honor my dd. So the ending coming soon is bittersweet. It’s funny how everyone one you know cares about HS though it is bad Soccer but no one watches or cares about when your playing at the highest level (other than scouts). Maybe that is part of the problem with Soccer in the US.

No doubt HS Soccer is hard to watch after many seasons if competitive club soccer. It takes years to train yourself to see the upside of the kids having fun together.
CIF SS pairing and schedules posted Mon Feb 12
Good luck to all and especially the seniors playing their last games with their school friends.

Any predictions?
Los Al looking good
Not sure about JSerra, will they be missing key players to National team commitments?
Any under dog to watch?

How did Esperanza and Foothill get spots in Div 1 when they placed 3rd and 4th in Div 2 league?
All of the teams in a league aren't necessarily in the same division, so they aren't in a "Div 2 league". In this case, Canyon and Yorba Linda (both D2 schools) received the automatic births to CIF D2 based upon placing 1st and 2nd in league. Esperanza and Foothill (both D1 schools) were not guaranteed a spot in CIF based upon their placement in league, but got at-large births to CIF D1. Look at the girls soccer section of CIFSS website and there is a break down of the divisions for all teams in each league in the preview section (issued before the season begins). I believe the CIF blues book on the same website discussed the criteria for at large births, but at large teams must be .500 or better to be considered for an at large spot, and it looks like D1 granted 5 teams at large births this year.

Here are the documents that describe how the "power ranking groupings," i.e. divisions, are determined as well as all the detailed rankings. It is interesting to note that at a given school the boys team can be a different division than the girls team.
https://cifss.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Boys-Soccer-Power-Rankings-2017-2018-Web.pdf
https://cifss.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Girls-Soccer-1718-Divisions-WEB.pdf

Also, fanofdl is correct that a team must have at least a .500 record to be considered for an at large playoff spot. At large teams are used to fill a bracket when there are not enough guaranteed qualifiers based on league standing to fill the 32-team bracket. If there aren't enough qualified at large teams (i.e. a .500 record) then some teams will get a first round bye. See the Div 1 Girls bracket for an example.

Wild card games are used to narrow the field to a 32-team bracket when more than 32 teams have a guaranteed playoff spot for a particular division.

Trabuco vs quartz hill 1-1 second OT Trabuco player goes down hard. Not moving extremities and paramedics called.

Back