2016-1017 GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER THREAD

Agreed, predictions are usually biased anyway. How about thoughts instead? For example, games with Aliso Niguel and Santa Margarita, Mater Dei and Tesoro, Los Al and Palos Verdes, some potentially exciting matches for a second round. Already have one seeded team out and some newcomers to the division from division 2 last year getting a win under their belt in the always ultra competitive division 1 playoffs (Westlake, Troy, Palos Verdes, Santiago, and Hart). Will they be able to navigate through the second round and in to the quarters?

Navigation to quarters complete. Hart now faces Aliso Niguel for the second time this season. Tribe defeated Aliso in preseason at the Aliso Cup Tourney. Ciao. Go Tribe.

Good thread and big week coming up. Going to try and make it to local 5pm games and see how the Los Angeles area teams stack up to the San Diego ones.

OMG. I can't believe the center ref for the Troy vs Westlake game. Whistles for half time, with Troy up 1-0, off a nice free kick from about 25 yards out that bounces over the line of girls and then headed in for the first goal. Troy is very happy. However, the ref is convinced that he needed to add time at the end of the half from the Westlake sideline and coach. Troy comes back on the field and instead of be given possession as the had when the whistle blew, a drop ball, finally resulting in a penalty in the box and boom 1-1 at the half. The game got progressively more physical until as mentioned, they win in OT. It was freshman day as two of them logged goals. BTW, Troy has a total of 2 college commits, one of which is injured, how many commits from Westlake?
Let me see if I have this correct...
Troy scored right before halftime, ref blows whistle for halftime, realizes there should still be time left and restarts with a dropped ball instead of a kickoff. If those are the events, than the ref needs to be fired for restarting the game after a goal with a dropped ball.

Watch out for chino hills. Just sayin. ;)
Chino Hills is down two big time starters as they accumulated two yellows each in their second round match for red cards. Not sure if GK that got hurt from 1st round and missed 2nd round game will be back but if not, that's 3 starters gone, hard to offset that. They look to be pretty deep though with a good roster of players to fill in. However, the two attackers they lost could make it hard for them to score goals tomorrow. If any team can overcome the missing players, I'd say CH can, they're a tough team to put away and know how to defend and keep the game within their reach. If it goes to PK's, I give the edge to HB just based on GK experience. Good luck to everyone.

Watch out for chino hills. Just sayin. ;)
Let me see if I have this correct...
Troy scored right before halftime, ref blows whistle for halftime, realizes there should still be time left and restarts with a dropped ball instead of a kickoff. If those are the events, than the ref needs to be fired for restarting the game after a goal with a dropped ball.
No. Troy up 1-0 when time expires, ref stops play, Troy with possession, Westlake coach convinces ref to add time. Ref then changes his mind, and takes possession from Troy restarts with a dropped ball. Sorry for the confussion.

No. Troy up 1-0 when time expires, ref stops play, Troy with possession, Westlake coach convinces ref to add time. Ref then changes his mind, and takes possession from Troy restarts with a dropped ball. Sorry for the confussion.

If the referee realized he made a mistake with the time (hard to do in HS, and I will explain why) than the correct restart is a dropped ball if the ball was in play when he stopped play or if the ball was out of play for let's say a throw-in than a throw-in would be the correct restart.

Now for game time. Unlike club soccer, HS does not have "add" time. The referee should have been stopping and starting his watch throughout the half/game. When his watch either reached zero or 40 minutes (depending on if he uses an up or down timer) the half/game is over. So, there should be no reason to restart unless he timed the half wrong, such as only playing only 35 minutes.

Chino Hills is down two big time starters as they accumulated two yellows each in their second round match for red cards. Not sure if GK that got hurt from 1st round and missed 2nd round game will be back but if not, that's 3 starters gone, hard to offset that. They look to be pretty deep though with a good roster of players to fill in. However, the two attackers they lost could make it hard for them to score goals tomorrow. If any team can overcome the missing players, I'd say CH can, they're a tough team to put away and know how to defend and keep the game within their reach. If it goes to PK's, I give the edge to HB just based on GK experience. Good luck to everyone.
We actually only lost one attacker. Then again, our outside mids are involved in the attack pretty often but I don't think she scored a goal this season. Losing both those players will hurt. Unfortunately the keeper will not make it back but the back up has been doing great and got box time earlier in the season when the keep had another injury. Girls will have to step up. But there are some pretty good players that come off the bench. And I know of a Pretty good player that wont make the game for HB. Expecting a good game.

We actually only lost one attacker. Then again, our outside mids are involved in the attack pretty often but I don't think she scored a goal this season. Losing both those players will hurt. Unfortunately the keeper will not make it back but the back up has been doing great and got box time earlier in the season when the keep had another injury. Girls will have to step up. But there are some pretty good players that come off the bench. And I know of a Pretty good player that wont make the game for HB. Expecting a good game.
She missed a CIF game last year about same time and HB lost......

Scores?
Mater Dei on a roll. Possible repeat from 2015? Definitely good coaching at MD.
Congrats to Mater Dei. Several local kids will continue to play for Mater Dei coach at Pomona, http://www.broncoathletics.com/news...-adds-eight-newcomers-for-2017.aspx?path=wsoc

Props to Troy, after losing a bunch of seniors last year (goalie to Oregon, an outside back to CSUF, a striker to SMU along with some other girls to smaller schools) where the girls made it to the same quarterfinals, difference was that they played D2 last year. First year in D1, with only two committed seniors, one of them injured and I don't think any lower classman have verbally committed, maybe one, and something like 5-6 freshman that regularly started, a couple of them actually play on Troy's top girls basketball team in the county at the same time, to make it to the quarterfinals and lose to a perennial private school in overtime was a great experience for all the girls and hopefully a good sign of things to come.

Goodluck to those teams that will be advancing.

Back