2016-1017 GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER THREAD

Yo Bdobs....Gkrent - you guys have traditionally been in the know/most active in tracking the HS circuit.

Whats the 411?

I like JSerra, Los Al, Aliso Niguel and Palos Verdes. Not gonna comment about Edison, but I'll tell you right now there are some players that are peaking at the right time!!

Edited to add I like the Mater Dei Cypress matchup and I am going to throw in for Cypress because I love some of the talent on that team (though they suffer from spells of inconsistency

Division 1 girls scores, winners of each group will face each other next round....

Upper Half of Bracket:
JSerra 4 Dana Hills 1
Los Osos 1 LB Wilson 0

Palos Verdes 2 San Juan Hills 1
Los Alamitos 2 Northwood 0

Santiago(Corona) 2 Millikan 1
Chino Hills 1 Notre Dame (S.O.) 0

San Clemente 3 Esperanza 0
Huntington Beach 3 Harvard Westlake 0

Lower Half of Bracket:
Westlake 2 Rancho Cucamonga 0
Troy 3 Foothill 0

Mater Dei 3 Cypress 0
Tesoro 1 Edison 0

Upland 2 South Hills 1
Hart 2 LB Poly 1

Santa Margarita 2 El Toro 0
Aliso Niguel 5 Oaks Christian 1

Some good match-ups for round two. Predictions?

Agreed, predictions are usually biased anyway. How about thoughts instead? For example, games with Aliso Niguel and Santa Margarita, Mater Dei and Tesoro, Los Al and Palos Verdes, some potentially exciting matches for a second round. Already have one seeded team out and some newcomers to the division from division 2 last year getting a win under their belt in the always ultra competitive division 1 playoffs (Westlake, Troy, Palos Verdes, Santiago, and Hart). Will they be able to navigate through the second round and in to the quarters?

Tesoro beating Edison is a big shock to me.

Not to me, which is why I didn't want to make the call on this game and jinx it. Edison struggled scoring all season..lots of late OT golden goals. They had a strong defense, although starting keeper was out of town. Tesoro has two game changing players offensively and their junior star scored the winning goal.

Not to me, which is why I didn't want to make the call on this game and jinx it. Edison struggled scoring all season..lots of late OT golden goals. They had a strong defense, although starting keeper was out of town. Tesoro has two game changing players offensively and their junior star scored the winning goal.

it was a pretty even matchup. neither team had many chances to score. possession was back and forth all game long. got pretty chippy a few times.

Tesoro goal started from an Edison turnover on Edison's defensive third and a crowded scramble in the box for the ball. Tesoro player lifted the ball towards the far post and had Edison's keeper back peddling and the ball went just over the keeper and under the crossbar. Tesoro got the lucky chance on this one possession towards the end of regulation and that was the difference. Fun game to watch, but was hoping the Chargers would've won.

I wouldn't call Wilson field the worst I've ever seen but it definitely ranks up there. I'm almost certain the home side spectator seating does not meet the minimum National Federation Rules requiring the area to be at least 10 feet from the touch line......

Yo Bdobs....Gkrent - you guys have traditionally been in the know/most active in tracking the HS circuit.

Whats the 411?
Just logged on. In DI, I have only seen a few teams this year. I have been saying since the beginning of the season that Los Al is legit and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win, even after a disappointing finish in league. Chino Hills was also very good and should do well. Santiago (Corona) looks good on paper but they are really the only legit team out of the Big VIII so their excellent record might not be as revealing as it seems. I am just hoping that Troy plays a solid game today vs Westlake and comes out with a win. Troy should be very solid over the next few years as they have 5 or 6 freshman starters.

I am still at odds with the manner in which divisions were created. If I am not mistaken, it is based on the last two years performance in CIF. I would think that the teams that reach the round of 16 (winners of the first round) will stay in D1. Those other 16 will be in a mathematical battle with the top finishers in D2 but should see the bulk of them remain D1. I would think that the teams that didn't make the playoffs in D1 would end up in D2 while the top teams (final four of D2) will be promoted. The problem that I have is that schools are earning their rankings based on teams that no longer exist. I am not sure how to fix the problem other than creating an open division based on the current teams' strength of schedule, win/losses, league finish and rankings. For example, this year, I would like to see Bishop Amat play any of the D1 top teams, yet they are D3, and should win with ease.

OMG. I can't believe the center ref for the Troy vs Westlake game. Whistles for half time, with Troy up 1-0, off a nice free kick from about 25 yards out that bounces over the line of girls and then headed in for the first goal. Troy is very happy. However, the ref is convinced that he needed to add time at the end of the half from the Westlake sideline and coach. Troy comes back on the field and instead of be given possession as the had when the whistle blew, a drop ball, finally resulting in a penalty in the box and boom 1-1 at the half. The game got progressively more physical until as mentioned, they win in OT. It was freshman day as two of them logged goals. BTW, Troy has a total of 2 college commits, one of which is injured, how many commits from Westlake?

Last edited:
Back