2005 - ODP Player Pool

Scoop182

SILVER
Player pool to be posted soon...emails to players went out this weekend.

I will be very interesting to see how many girls are unable to accept their ODP invite, due to playing in the Development Academy this year.

Interesting that they are apparently e-mailing invites first and then posting the list. They did it the other way with the 2006 and I think 2004 age groups. It may be that since so many 2006 boys didn't register/show up because they were going Development Academy, they decided it made more sense to invite privately first and then they could always invite new kids. If so, then the public list will be a clean list in the sense that almost all of the kids on it will show up and be eligible for selection.

I have read posts on this forum for a few years. This is the first year in which I am slightly familiar with the Girls 2005 ODP selections. I have to agree with the posts of prior years - the selections tilt toward the girls who played forward through State/National Cup. Each selected girl is talented and worthy of selection.

I am simply noting that for the first round of ODP selections for this age group, the group appears to be heavily-weighted with strikers/forwards. At least with respect to the girls with whom I am familiar.

I have read posts on this forum for a few years. This is the first year in which I am slightly familiar with the Girls 2005 ODP selections. I have to agree with the posts of prior years - the selections tilt toward the girls who played forward through State/National Cup. Each selected girl is talented and worthy of selection.

I am simply noting that for the first round of ODP selections for this age group, the group appears to be heavily-weighted with strikers/forwards. At least with respect to the girls with whom I am familiar.

I don't know many of the girls on the list but from our Legends team we have a Midfielder, Defender and Goalie. Do they normally select more offensive minded players? I would think it would change year to year depending on the talent for that given year.

I don't know many of the girls on the list but from our Legends team we have a Midfielder, Defender and Goalie. Do they normally select more offensive minded players? I would think it would change year to year depending on the talent for that given year.
Thanks Scoop182 for your message. As the name suggests, I am clueless! I wonder how CalSouth is able to narrow down the list of talented girls. The few girls with whom I am familiar are very talented.

Thanks Scoop182 for your message. As the name suggests, I am clueless! I wonder how CalSouth is able to narrow down the list of talented girls. The few girls with whom I am familiar are very talented.
To narrow the field ODP coaches will make player selections specifically by positions on the field. They will choose two for each position totaling 22 players. Forwards and midfielders will have the toughest time battling it out. They make up the biggest portion of players selected. Player selections is a very subjective process. You will see players out on the pitch that look great and may not make it because they did play in a style the coaches preferred.

In Washington State, the initial group for ODP is picked from an open tryout. Does CalSouth pick their initial group just from scouting at National Cup? Based on WA and CalSouth it doesn't sound like there is a "one size fits all" model for picking ODP participants.
At this age group I believe coaches were asked to recommend players for them to watch at NC. However, for the 06's coach were not asked for the most part and Cal South scouts chose players on their own.

I think it's unfortunate that they don't have a streamlined process that they use across the board. US Soccer has no problem mandating birth year change, field size, number of players etc but then when it comes to identifying potential super stars...there's no standard process.
I do think the way they handled the 06 selection was not their standard format. It was a first year for this young of an age group. Many parents and coaches were unaware this going to happen. So, I agree with you they did not use a stream lined process. But it will be interesting what they do next year. The 05 age group will be eligible for DA. Will ODP invite these girls? Will they invite fewer? And, will they establish a criteria of how they choose players in the future? To determine those they want to ID and track. Essentially will they be more objective than subjective?

I think it's unfortunate that they don't have a streamlined process that they use across the board. US Soccer has no problem mandating birth year change, field size, number of players etc but then when it comes to identifying potential super stars...there's no standard process.

The best way to get a look is to be the superstar on a flight 1 team that finished in the middle. The top teams have a bunch of superstars, so it's harder to standout.
We know 2 girls that weren't on the list. To most people they are better than 2 girls we know that did make the list. But one team went deep into National Cup and the other was out on the first weekend.

Back