2005 DA Standings

Excited weekend at Galaxy Cup. too many smiles and sad/mad faces. "unpredictable" (lol), results all over the tournament, I guess is because we are trying to understand soccer

1. SD Surf 5-0 over FCGS - Really? I saw this game, GS had chances to stop Surf and probably to turn around the outcome
2. Seattle United 3-1 over LAUFA - What? Saw the game, LAUFA got tired to miss goals. The goal net was off of their compass
3. SD Surf 8-2 over PNSC - Woow!! - Good for Surf
4. FCGS 2-1 vs LAG - No way!! - LAG got lucky at 1st half - game could end up being 3 or 4-0.
5. PNSC 9-0 over Arsenal - Woow! Seemed like PNSC passed the fireball to Arsenal
6. Surf vs Sporting KC- Good final match. Surf didn't get a chance to make anything dangerous, SKC played beautiful soccer, soccer style was strongly marked on this game, while surf was hoping to reach up their strikers #58 and #72 playing long balls most of the time, SKC played more possession swinging the ball around the field. Surf scored thanks to a PK and an ungoal from SKC. otherwise, the result would have been 5-0.

Well done overall. Thanks to LAG to made this possible, hopefully, next year they bring more international teams

I’ve never seen surf get dominated like what your saying , sporting kc must be in a level not seen yet in SoCal.

I’ve never seen surf get dominated like what your saying , sporting kc must be in a level not seen yet in SoCal.
I think all depends on what we are judging. we might judge simply goals, possession, completed plays vs failed plays, mistakes, touches per play, etc. this time SKC played better soccer.
I think it would have been better as the final game to have Galaxy against SKC. LAG has much more talent with players than Surf. Sad that Jaime isn't ready to handle such a good squad and often screws things up.

I am sorry for the post above. I was in a personal conversation with somebody about the same topic. I wanted to copy the game link instead of my conversation. lol...
Anyways, here is the link for the game. many angles might raise

B2B: The final is online...make your own conclusions.
From my perspective in watching the live stream recording...Surf missed on a few chances, a botched offsides call. Truly a game a inches. I think it was 58, but he easily could have had 2-3 goals in the first half. That is soccer though.

SKC is a very organized, well coached team with some talented players. They simply capitalized on Surf mistakes like any good team.

SKC is a good team. Surf is a good team. The game was pretty good...both games were.

EC: I think your first comments were your best, 'I guess is because we are (I am ) trying to understand soccer'.

No dog in this hunt, but what do you have against Surf? I see your other comments about the FCGS game...I happened to see that game. FCGS had their chances in the beginning with a solid high press. Surf figured it out and ran the FCGS boys out...they were tired and had no answer. I guess then Surf must have been 'lucky' and scored 5 goals.

B2B: The final is online...make your own conclusions.
From my perspective in watching the live stream recording...Surf missed on a few chances, a botched offsides call. Truly a game a inches. I think it was 58, but he easily could have had 2-3 goals in the first half. That is soccer though.

SKC is a very organized, well coached team with some talented players. They simply capitalized on Surf mistakes like any good team.

SKC is a good team. Surf is a good team. The game was pretty good...both games were.

EC: I think your first comments were your best, 'I guess is because we are (I am ) trying to understand soccer'.

No dog in this hunt, but what do you have against Surf? I see your other comments about the FCGS game...I happened to see that game. FCGS had their chances in the beginning with a solid high press. Surf figured it out and ran the FCGS boys out...they were tired and had no answer. I guess then Surf must have been 'lucky' and scored 5 goals.
I am sorry what_the??, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Yes, I am trying to understand soccer, hopefully, never do.
you are right, many offsides called against surf. When you have a lot of offsides, what soccer style you are playing? Probably long ball right? the long ball style is an emergency exit for coaches to score some goals and win the score, this doesn't mean that said team will win the game. look for example how Santa Barbara plays, they just play long balls all game long, sometimes they will win games that way, but never step up for the next level.
Nothing personal with Surf trust me. actually, Benoit (ex-coach) and I are good friends. We all know that #58, #72 and the middle with curly hair are 80% of that team. without those 3 players, Surf would become an ordinary team.

I am sorry what_the??, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Yes, I am trying to understand soccer, hopefully, never do.
you are right, many offsides called against surf. When you have a lot of offsides, what soccer style you are playing? Probably long ball right? the long ball style is an emergency exit for coaches to score some goals and win the score, this doesn't mean that said team will win the game. look for example how Santa Barbara plays, they just play long balls all game long, sometimes they will win games that way, but never step up for the next level.
Nothing personal with Surf trust me. actually, Benoit (ex-coach) and I are good friends. We all know that #58, #72 and the middle with curly hair are 80% of that team. without those 3 players, Surf would become an ordinary team.

no offense taken.

and no, there weren't 'many' offsides called. and no, lots of offsides don't necessary mean you are playing long ball. if you know benoit...you would know he isn't a long ball coach...so why would his team play that way. funny conclusions you are making.

not sure i would compare surf to santa barbara and i don't think surf plays long ball.

i can't speak to what players are the best on the team and if you took them off what that would mean. if you took #10 off of the SKC team...they don't have any other real offensive threats either. doesn't matter. if you took the chocolate chips out of a cookie it wouldn't be a chocolate chip cookie. the team is the team.

no offense taken.

and no, there weren't 'many' offsides called. and no, lots of offsides don't necessary mean you are playing long ball. if you know benoit...you would know he isn't a long ball coach...so why would his team play that way. funny conclusions you are making.

not sure i would compare surf to santa barbara and i don't think surf plays long ball.

i can't speak to what players are the best on the team and if you took them off what that would mean. if you took #10 off of the SKC team...they don't have any other real offensive threats either. doesn't matter. if you took the chocolate chips out of a cookie it wouldn't be a chocolate chip cookie. the team is the team.
#9 was nice too. Surf had a lot of opportunities In the 2nd half. The goalie had some really good saves

Soccer is a weak link sport. Because there are so few opportunities to score, because there are 11 players on the field and the best players can only have the ball for so long, mistakes by the weakest players will have a disproportionate effect on the outcome of the game. Basketball, on the other hand, is a strong link sport. There are multiple opportunities to score, there are only 4 other players on the court and the best player can make up for any mistakes of the weakest players. (ref: https://www.asalesguy.com/soccer-an...ron-how-one-is-like-sales-and-the-other-isnt/

After watching Surf v KC replay, Surf had the weaker links. Maybe just an off day for them, but seems a fairly straightforward cause-and-effect as it pertains to the outcome of that game.

Definitely an OFF day for Surf........ I'm sure they will realize and pick it up for Man City. IS KC playing in Man City??? Would like to see a rematch..........

Sporting kc left bk #3 was a huge impact. Shut down one of surfs weapons and created goals and lots of opportunities for his side.

Sporting kc left bk #3 was a huge impact. Shut down one of surfs weapons and created goals and lots of opportunities for his side.

There was outstanding talent on display on both sides. If digging into this result a little deeper than simply weak-link analysis, it seemed the result came down to the fact that KC was more clinical/ruthless in front of goal (KC goal 1 compared to multiple good chances Surf failed to convert) and KC defended with organized grit and determination whereas Surf's shocking indifference in that regard resulted in KC goals 2 and 3. That lack of overall effort made it look like they ran out of ideas on offense, too, resulting in errant passes. (This was echoed by Cody in what you could hear of his coaching points.) When teams are this evenly matched, it's the small things that make the difference.

All that said, these observations only pertain to this one game and who knows how many different factors were at play. After all there are 13-14 yr old boys and fact that Surf kids had body clocks that were different than those for KC players might have been a factor. KC on the list of Man City teams, a rematch would be fun to watch.

here's predicts for this weekend. fyi, due to change of schedule, will be posting predicts on Friday morning-ish thru rest of season. home team is listed first.

Los Angeles
Legends 2 vs Real SoCal 0
Santa Barbara SC 3 vs Pateadores 2
TFA 1 vs LAFC 3

San Diego
LAGSD 4 vs SDSC 0
Strikers 6 vs Arsenal 1

here's predicts for this weekend. fyi, due to change of schedule, will be posting predicts on Friday morning-ish thru rest of season. home team is listed first.

Los Angeles
Legends 2 vs Real SoCal 0
Santa Barbara SC 3 vs Pateadores 2
TFA 1 vs LAFC 3

San Diego
LAGSD 4 vs SDSC 0
Strikers 6 vs Arsenal 1
Not sure the final score but Strikers were up 5-0 at half, it was brutal

here's predicts vs actuals for this weekend. home team is listed first. for some reason, game reports are not loading. Anyone have details on how the matches went?

Los Angeles
predict: Legends 2 vs Real SoCal 0. Actuals: Legends 3 vs Real SoCal 1

predict: Santa Barbara SC 3 vs Pateadores 2. Actuals: Santa Barbara SC 2 vs Pateadores 4 note: it looks Santa Barbara was also playing in the CRL matches this weekend (thanks box2box for the info!), so the Pats match may have been their fourth in less than 30 hours plus seven hours of travel as well. be interesting to see the game report for the Pats match when it comes back online.

predict: TFA 1 vs LAFC 3. Actuals: TFA 0 vs LAFC 5

San Diego
predict: LAGSD 4 vs SDSC 0. Actuals: LAGSD 5 vs SDSC 0 (thanks soccerdad2016!)
predict: Strikers 6 vs Arsenal 1. Actuals: Strikers 2 vs Arsenal 0

Last edited:
here's predicts vs actuals for this weekend. home team is listed first. for some reason, game reports are not loading. Anyone have details on how the matches went?

Los Angeles
predict: Santa Barbara SC 3 vs Pateadores 2. Actuals: Santa Barbara SC 2 vs Pateadores 4

San Diego
predict: LAGSD 4 vs SDSC 0. Actuals: pending

SBSC played an 8 am crl game in Oceanside prior to their match with Pats.

Los Angeles
predict: Santa Barbara SC 3 vs Pateadores 2. Actuals: Santa Barbara SC 2 vs Pateadores 4

San Diego
predict: LAGSD 4 vs SDSC 0. Actuals: pending
LAGSD 5 SDSC 0

Back