2003 National Cup Round Two... Thoughts?

What was that about?

Normal Presidio BS politics. You have been around San Diego soccer long enough to know that Presidio plays these stupid games with new clubs. It has happened before and will happen again because you have some adults that don’t give a crap about the kids. I know some of the Presidio board members and I really think that it is the DOCs from certain clubs either holding a grudge or just worried about losing players.

Final 4
Hawks v Legends
IE Surf v SDSC Academy Navy
Who ya got?
I going with 2 of those 4 teams in the final.
But seriously
Ie surf vs hawks or
Legends v sdsc or
Surf v legend
Or
Hawks v academy.
Any one of those will probably happen

I going with 2 of those 4 teams in the final.
But seriously
Ie surf vs hawks or
Legends v sdsc or
Surf v legend
Or
Hawks v academy.
Any one of those will probably happen

You are adding nothing to this discussion. We are trying to have a decent conversation about this tournament. If you can’t add anything constructive or at least grace us with your humble opinion, then go comment somewhere else.

SWSC will probably continue to upset teams, I think this is the Dark Horse, where did they come from. Can't find any record of them.
IE surf, SDSC NAVY, Hawks , and Beach Demelo my final 4. Wont be surprised though if there are upsets. Some good 03 teams still left.

SWSC played the Hawks tough today. One of their goals was a questionable pk but it was a good game.

You are adding nothing to this discussion. We are trying to have a decent conversation about this tournament. If you can’t add anything constructive or at least grace us with your humble opinion, then go comment somewhere else.
If you can't take a little joke you need to relax. After all..this is about KIDS soccer right? You have a whole week to stew over the semi-finals possible outcomes and you're getting all worked up over Rev's comments?! But if it makes you feel better..one of my horses is still in the running. Hawks. No skin in these games. Based my choice on their results from National Cup last year and what they've done this year. But then again IE Surf has been running amok all year without anyone putting a stop sign in front of them.

If you can't take a little joke you need to relax. After all..this is about KIDS soccer right? You have a whole week to stew over the semi-finals possible outcomes and you're getting all worked up over Rev's comments?! But if it makes you feel better..one of my horses is still in the running. Hawks. No skin in these games. Based my choice on their results from National Cup last year and what they've done this year. But then again IE Surf has been running amok all year without anyone putting a stop sign in front of them.

How many horses do you have running? Didn’t you pick cvsc and slammers earlier? Now your riding with hawks? But I can actually have a conversation with you, rev’s sarcasm and lack of input just kills the conversation.

Alright. Weak attempts at humor aside. I'm always going to pick the team we run with.
IE Surf to win it all. They have beat everyone in the bracket at least once and some multiple times. Surf came close last year but came up short against a team that they had just beat pretty handily at the end of the season .

So speaking from experience at this point it's a real coin toss. Today for example the game was in flux until the very end.

Hawks v Surf final with Surf winning. Who you got and why?
Legends came on strong late in the season. They got a new coach and that team responded well. Hawks beat them 2-1 last month in CRL, so I’m guessing this could be a close one. Ultimately I’m picking Hawks with their experience and a one or two player advantage over Legends. Gonna be close.

Surf hasn’t lost in what seems like forever. They’ve beaten Academy Navy the last couple of times they’ve played them, including disrupting their undefeated CRL season last year. But, you play a team a few times and you’re bound to stumble. With Surf’s streak, you gotta think they have a loss coming eventually. Could it be this weekend? They had quite the run last year, and may use that experience to carry them through the weekend. Navy is a good team and knocks it around well. They lost to Surf 1-2 last summer, but I’m sure they’ve gotten better as well. Another close game. I’m picking Surf in a 1-goal advantage.

Surf has the Hawks number, playing them close in score, but far outplaying them on the field in their last 2 matches, from what I’ve heard and seen. Surf takes the ‘ship and rides a huge wave of momentum going into Regionals.

How many horses do you have running? Didn’t you pick cvsc and slammers earlier? Now your riding with hawks? But I can actually have a conversation with you, rev’s sarcasm and lack of input just kills the conversation.
Yes I did pick CV and Slammers-Whittier. I thought I also picked Hawks but apparently not. ( I actually thought I had 4 horses in my original post..guess not) So with no horses left..I obviously had to pick new ones. Isn't that what you do..pick new ones if the others are out? Again I have no skin in these games..just my .02 on who I think might win.

My gut says IE Surf vs Legends in the final.

IE Surf have been the favorites all along, they had a couple of close calls this weekend, but have yet to break. Either they'll finally stumble against SDSC or they're going to blow the doors off and score a few goals in route to the finals.

Legends just seems to have a lot of momentum right now and they tend to shine on the big stage, I think they edge out Hawks.

Question for the bastion of intellects who know all of these teams inside and out. How would the Surf or Hawks do if they played ECNL? Or even DA? Would they rough some of those teams up? Has their been any history with those teams at some of the big showcases? Just curious. I am wondering if the ECNL/DA save a couple of teams is a little overweighted. Look forward to responses!

SDSC should have closed out the game yesterday first half when we had many opps to put the ball in the back of the net. We came to National Cup with 11-12 players and fending off a physical game against Beach Saturday did a number to our girls. Legends got a PK with 5 mins left to win the game. Their 1st goal was questionable offside as well. Defender said she kept the player off.

Last edited:
Definite Offside!

and the CR should get some credit for starting the breakaway near mid field!
We had our share of bad refs. I can clip so many instances where the outbound calls were for the wrong team (mainly against us), ARs were useless CR was obstructing the players. I thought we would get better quality refs going to the knock out phase.

Question for the bastion of intellects who know all of these teams inside and out. How would the Surf or Hawks do if they played ECNL? Or even DA? Would they rough some of those teams up? Has their been any history with those teams at some of the big showcases? Just curious. I am wondering if the ECNL/DA save a couple of teams is a little overweighted. Look forward to responses!
IE Surf has competed and fared very well over several DA2 teams throughout CRL and National Cup.

In some showcases and tournaments last year they had beat some ECNL and at the time "to be" DA teams.

Having seen the 03 ECNL and DA / DA2 teams throughout the year, I can confidently say IE Surf would be in the top half of the ECNL table and mid table in DA. IE Surf had applied for ECNL earlier this year and I imagine will apply again next year as they look to capitalize on an upward trend they've had the past few years with the 03-07 age groups.

Back