2003 National Cup Round Two... Thoughts?

Gu8 Dad

BRONZE
Any thoughts or comments regarding the yet to be posted brackets for next weekend's Round Two?

Any surprises from the weekend?

12 Teams with byes are already listed on the brackets
12 First place teams (seeded#13-24?)
+ 8 Wildcards

#25 - Olimpus FC - USA Premier
#26 - Murrieta Surf White
#27 - Simi Valley Eclipse
#28 - SD United Black
#29 - OVC Vejar
#30 - Pats Reserve Academy
#31 - SD Real Madrid
#32 - Eagles SC DAII

Is that how it works?

A little shocked that all 12 CRL teams got automatic Round 2 bids, especially the teams that only won one game. We’ll see how these teams do once they face the incoming 20 teams.

A little shocked that all 12 CRL teams got automatic Round 2 bids, especially the teams that only won one game. We’ll see how these teams do once they face the incoming 20 teams.

I don’t know if I’d personally say I was shocked. I’m not sure what else the seeding personnel have to go on. Looking at the crl standings, there is a definite gap between top half and bottom half. Having seen many of these teams, there are some teams that had to play the first round who will have a good chance to go far. But it’s soccer, anyone can beat anyone on a given day.

Well, looks like some of the groups got seeded with 2 bracket winners from round 1. Should be some quality games this weekend. Best of luck to all.

Well, looks like some of the groups got seeded with 2 bracket winners from round 1. Should be some quality games this weekend. Best of luck to all.
That was always going to happen when going from 12 groups to 8.

Looking forward to seeing some of these games!!

Crescenta Valley or Slammers Whittier-Alvarez are my two horses. We are already out but knowing these two teams and their records, a few players, and parents I'd stack a lot of my chips between these two. My .02

Only one game in but the competition seems pretty even.
So far the weather has been cooperating.
Some of the teams with byes came in a little rusty.

Yes, and some bad refereeing as expected as well.

Now I heard the referees were awesome. I heard they played some incredible defense and had many quality shots on goal and controlled the flow of the game.

Usually the parents of 15's and above have matured and have stopped blaming the refs for their kid's team's loss. Lets take a shot at what club G03_SD is associated with based on the bad referee comment. I can rule out the SDSC teams since those two coaches, Pete and Raffi, would normally not put up with parents yelling at or blaming a ref for the team's loss, although Raffi can get loud at times. I have never heard coach Talia at SWSC or Brett at LAGSD say anything bad about refs or blame them for a loss. That basically leaves OVC, SD United and Rebels. Ryan at Rebels is a quality coach and I have heard him tell his players to not blame a loss on the refs so it is probably not his team, but the parents do not always listen to him. That leaves OVC and SD United. Coach Will at OVC is usually level headed and calm, but OVC sidelines can get crazy. I have seen some batshit crazy parents on those SD United sidelines. My guess would be that G08_SD is a parent of either SD United or OVC with Rebels being my third guess.

Back