Australia was putting up a good fight when a no-call penalty decision was reviewed by VAR. 60 seconds or so later, the referee whistles for VAR check and orders the penalty afterwards.

I didn't get a chance to check what was being said on FOX, but the English BBC broadcasters were almost unanimously and whole-heartedly against the decision. They were complaining that it "wasn't clear and obvious" and "the defender got the ball first".

Most people are thinking VAR is controversial, but I think it presents an interesting opportunity to see what refs would call if they had the same looks that people at home got. They are finally able to get back at the armchair referee's and pull up a seat of their own; and much to the dismay of most people, they are realizing that maybe referees are intentionally calling soccer in a way that they could only previously explained away as "blind referee". Without that excuse anymore, they are forced to realize that either their understanding of the game was off all this time, or still think that they know more than 5 world class officials.

What do you all think of VAR? Is it doing more harm than good? Is it opening new problems and fans are just as screwed either way? Does it disrupt the game?

I am not a fan of VAR mainly because it is too slow in a game that can change in seconds. The goal line technology worked perfectly in the FRA vs AUS game.

I like goal line and red card review. Both have such a huge impact on game that you want to be 100% correct.

I wish they would implement Flopping VAR, and amend the LOTG, so that flops, (including rolling around and faking an ankle injury, etc, looking like you need a helicopter ride to the hospital, then running full speed as soon as play resumes), can be sanctioned by issuance of a yellow at any point by the VAR crew. There are so many blatant replays of fake fouls and acting.

This would return the game to what is should be, and bring the game on the field in line with what we all see in HD and 4k, without all the theatrics and foolish looking fish.

I wish they would implement Flopping VAR, and amend the LOTG, so that flops, (including rolling around and faking an ankle injury, etc, looking like you need a helicopter ride to the hospital, then running full speed as soon as play resumes), can be sanctioned by issuance of a yellow at any point by the VAR crew. There are so many blatant replays of fake fouls and acting.

This would return the game to what is should be, and bring the game on the field in line with what we all see in HD and 4k, without all the theatrics and foolish looking fish.

Return?

I wish they would implement Flopping VAR, and amend the LOTG, so that flops, (including rolling around and faking an ankle injury, etc, looking like you need a helicopter ride to the hospital, then running full speed as soon as play resumes), can be sanctioned by issuance of a yellow at any point by the VAR crew. There are so many blatant replays of fake fouls and acting.....

They could call it the Neymar Rule. Neymar's theatrics in the Brazil vs Switzerland game yesterday set a new standard for bad acting and faking an injury. The ref should have given him a Yellow card for the first flop and maybe we would not have had to watch him flop and roll around like he was going to die another 20 times.

I think in some cases the flopping is backfiring on the players (unfortunately though not enough to stop it). Refs already apply a higher standard in the box and floppers are exaggerating legit fouls and wondering why they didn't get the call. It can make it difficult for a ref in real time to differentiate between what is foul and what is acting, Refs understandably err on the side of no call or don't give floppers the benefit of the doubt.

I wasn't a fan of VAR initially but after seeing games like the last El Clasico you have to wonder if it hasn't become necessary. Is it truly realistic with the speed of the modern game to expect a single CR to accurately officiate 2 acres of turf?

I wasn't a fan of VAR initially but after seeing games like the last El Clasico you have to wonder if it hasn't become necessary. Is it truly realistic with the speed of the modern game to expect a single CR to accurately officiate 2 acres of turf?
It's absurd. NFL has a much smaller field and most plays cover an area of about 50x15 yards. The plays last about 4-10 seconds each, and the officials reset to a new position each play. They have 7 officials, all with whistles, and they blow calls all the time.

The ask of a referee in soccer is irrational and outdated, just like the people running the sport. There should be a minimum of 1 referee and AR per half of the field, all 4 of them with whistles.

Then make any player that trolls around, yelling, and grimacing, while holding his ankle, exit the game for a minimum of 2 minutes. For his own safety of course.

It's absurd. NFL has a much smaller field and most plays cover an area of about 50x15 yards. The plays last about 4-10 seconds each, and the officials reset to a new position each play. They have 7 officials, all with whistles, and they blow calls all the time.

The ask of a referee in soccer is irrational and outdated, just like the people running the sport. There should be a minimum of 1 referee and AR per half of the field, all 4 of them with whistles.

Then make any player that trolls around, yelling, and grimacing, while holding his ankle, exit the game for a minimum of 2 minutes. For his own safety of course.

And do something about the clock, at least in pro and international games that can afford to pay a real timekeeper. The NCAA figured this out years ago.

And how would you suggest time be regulated?

Fourth official would operate the clock, referee could signal that it be stopped for incidents that would otherwise allegedly lead to adding extra time (such as injuries, substitutions, cards), and the referee could order the clock to be set to any value as needed to correct mistakes or make the game fair.

Fourth official would operate the clock, referee could signal that it be stopped for incidents that would otherwise allegedly lead to adding extra time (such as injuries, substitutions, cards), and the referee could order the clock to be set to any value as needed to correct mistakes or make the game fair.
But then how would the referee let the game continue until the ball reaches the neutral third, or after a corner kick is taken, as mandated by the laws of the game? :confused:

And what would happen if there is no 4th official and just the CR and ARs like in a youth game?

But then how would the referee let the game continue until the ball reaches the neutral third, or after a corner kick is taken, as mandated by the laws of the game? :confused:

It could be a soft finish - game ends at the next dead ball after time runs out, like the NFL or "ball was in the air" in the NBA. Of course, there would have to be some recognition of cynical strategic play, such as a foul by the team leading (or benefitting most from a draw) in order to create a dead ball situation when the opponents are on the attack.

Where exactly does it mandate in the LOTG 2018-2019 that time cannot end before a corner kick is taken or the ball in the neutral third? I know it is not in Law 5, 7, 10 or Practical Guidelines for Match Officials. The Referee is the time keeper and can add additional time for reasons specified in the LOTG Law 7 (if allowed by the gaming authority aka league or tournament). I would normally not end a game before a corner kick, but have done it when the gaming authority rules state no additional time is allowed or the games are running late and I need to get the next game started.

Wow talk about your judgement error in the Poland vs Senegal game where the Senegal sub is waved on at mid field while Poland has the ball and runs on to get a breakaway goal .

VAR i guess does'nt apply to this one, shame because we all make mistakes and this one was not good game management.

Wow talk about your judgement error in the Poland vs Senegal game where the Senegal sub is waved on at mid field while Poland has the ball and runs on to get a breakaway goal .

VAR i guess does'nt apply to this one, shame because we all make mistakes and this one was not good game management.

The referee waved the player on when Poland had control (sort of - a long header vaguely in direction of the goal), and then picked a bad moment to get their keeper involved.

Back